Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - As anybody changed the CV Outer Boot on a 2001 Mark 1 2.9 Sedona.I started off doing the Near Side front wheel bearing - apart from splitting the rubber on the tie rod end ball joint - all went to plan and got hub dismantled and had the rumbling old wheel bearing removed and the new replacement pressed in the hub ready for refitting.
At that point, I noticed the outer CV boot had a few cracks in it, and as I had a replacement already, thought it a good idea to renew the boot. I've got the old boot unclipped and pushed up the shaft to expose the inside of the CV joint. I wrongly suspected that there would be a circlip or snap clip that would needed to be removed to allow the CV joint to pull off. No such luck and I can't see a way to remove the CV joint. So thinking that maybe there is a clip under the inner boot, I've removed the inner boot retaining rings and been able to move the inner boot down the shaft, but still can't find a circlip or similar that would allow the drive shaft to be removed.
Can anybody confirm that there is a circlip or similar in there somewhere that would allow the drive shaft to be removed, thus allowing the CV joint to be removed, or is it a matter of clamping the drive shaft insitu and giving the out CV joint a whack with a copper hammer along the shaft so that it pulls off. Thanks for any forthcoming replies.
Peter

·
Registered
887 Posts
They have to be built from the inner shaft as you rightly suspect!
The is a big easy to get at clip that stops the inner tripod coming out of the housing, give the housing a good clean and you should find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks murphwiz for replyThat confirms what the manual indicates, but I wasn't sure I was interpretting the instructions correctly. Are you able to give me an indication where the retaining clip is?
I'm doing the nearside, so the inner CV joint is right up against the gearbox. What I'm seeing when the inner CV boot is pushed down the shaft is very similar to the inside of the out CV, i.e. large ball bearings in metal cups with the drive shaft going through the centre. Is the retaining clip located in that area, or is the other side of the inner CV joint, between the CV joint and transmission box/gearbox.
Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update - decided not to disturb the drive shaft by removing and opted to purchase one of those cone fitting gizmos and fit a stretchable new boot (cone £11 and boot £6 from local factors).Easy way of changing outer CV boot - would image you could do the inner with this method if desired, but you would have to remove the outer first, hence both would need to be done at the same time. You will also need to spray both cone and boot with lubricant that will NOT attack rubber - I used Silicon Lubricant from Halfords.
Decided to go this route, because I tried to purchase a replacement snap ring from Kia main dealer. Was informed that they are not available as single purchase, I would have to buy the whole kit. Also found out that single replacement CV joints is not an option, you would have to purchase a complete drive arm.
Only problem I've got now is that I need to source replacement boot clips for inner boot - I cut the originals when seeing if I could find the snap ring clip near the inner CV joint. The 2 spare ones I had from the original new outer boot that I had are just to small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts