Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Well the old bird is playing up again 2006 (56 plate) when i get to just below 1/4 of tank fuel, it cuts out as if i've run out of fuel. Service light comes on. Will start again but goes into limp mode. Then cuts out but will always re-starts after cranking it over longer than normal and so on.

Once i fill it up, it's fine again, after two or three start ups the service light goes out.

Any help would be greatly welcomed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
timtheenchanteruk said:
try releasing the fuel cap and see if it runs ok, sounds a bit like the breather for the tank is blocked so you are building up a vaccuum in the tank.
Could well be - you can usually hear a hiss / suck noise when you release the fuel cap - try driving it for a while without the cap on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Only problem, i dare not let the fuel level get low enough to try it. And if i do, I'd be road side somewhere. As you can imagine, no fault found by KIA that's £85 please?

·
Registered
702 Posts
LOZ said:
Thanks guys.

Only problem, i dare not let the fuel level get low enough to try it. And if i do, I'd be road side somewhere. As you can imagine, no fault found by KIA that's £85 please?
Has a volvo 940 estate that used to do this it turned out to be the intank pupm, is yours diesel or petrol? I assume from what you said/wrote that if you fill it over 1/4 of a tank after this happens it dissapears until it hits around a 1/4 of the taqnk again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The answer is quite simple, I assure you!

There is a small filter on the bottom of the intake pipe that is inside the fuel tank. To get access to this you must lift the center cover inside the car and remove all the fixings that hold the plastic backer. This is situated between the middle seats! Under this, there should be a metal panel attached or seperate, remove this to find the top of the intake assembly & the sender unit.

Before removing this assembly, remove the fule hose & plug it quickly otherwise a small amount of fule will leak onto the road or garage floor. Remove the sensor connector. the sealing screws can now be removed and the whole assembly removed.

You will see the plastic filter, it is easily removed by depressing the bracket fixings at the same time with a pair of bull nose pliars.

Clean the fliter is warm soapy water and replace when dryed on a piece of absorbant paper. Sometimes a toothbrush can be handy to help clean the plastic gauze sections.

Refit in reverse order, ensuring that the seal is adequate.

If you damage any of the screws in the tank, then replace with new ones. I think they are either M2.5 or M3 threads. A little bit of release agent is always good prior to trying to undo them, failing this then use a pair of molegrips.

Finally, demand your £85:00 back and call the KIA mechanics for what there actually are....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having pretty much the same problem, apart mine is around the 1/8th of a tank, and to start the car again i need to pump the primer under the bonnet, that sorts it out for a short time....
I would just like to know if the solution offered by KiaNoGoGo has solved the problem??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having just purchased a 2006 (new shape) 2.9 diesel Sedona and taking it on it's first long trip this weekend I was surprised to suffer the same problem as the OP.

Thankfully I have come across this Forum which appears to be full of useful information and once I get brave enough to go out in the cold weather I will try what KiaNoGoGo has described.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts