Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been having this problem since i bout the sedona in march.
would be driving along and it would just loose power had noticed when i bought it that sometimes when stoped that the brake lights would be on when i have got out of the car.

this afternoon whilst driving up the motorway it has done it again a couple of time just when we are going away on wednesday.

after a bit of looking have found that the little rubber pad that sits on the top of the peddle that opperates the switch is worn and not even.

so test drive up the road driving along just touch the brake and bingo engine looses powerengine managment light comes on as normal the goes out and all good again.

have been looking at all conectors under the bonnetfor bad connections fuel spill pipes leaking etc etc nothing and this some thing small throughs it all out the window.

been a motor mechanic for 25 years now and a piece of rubber makes me look like i know nothing at all.

any way problem found just hope this helps others with the same problem

one other thing who from kia had the silly idea to put apiece of rubber on the brake peddle to operate the switch
Edited by: dmc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this piece of rubber sits between the pedle and the switch this piece on mine is worn a hole in it and thus it putting the brake lights on.
what happens is when you are breaking it must cut fuel or confuse the ecu as you are on the throttle and brake at the same time whilst moving.

have had this a few times on vw's / skoda's but they have 2 switches one for the ecu and one for the lights when looking at mine only 1 switch so i ruled that out.

was able to rotate the disc so it now put's the brake lights out

·
Registered
702 Posts
dmc said:
this piece of rubber sits between the pedle and the switch this piece on mine is worn a hole in it and thus it putting the brake lights on.
what happens is when you are breaking it must cut fuel or confuse the ecu as you are on the throttle and brake at the same time whilst moving.

have had this a few times on vw's / skoda's but they have 2 switches one for the ecu and one for the lights when looking at mine only 1 switch so i ruled that out.

was able to rotate the disc so it now put's the brake lights out
Have a look further back in the archives I'm sure I read something about the brake light switch causing the Sedona to loose power either on this or the other forum

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well done a few miles in it now and it drives a lot better now.
it must have had the brake lights flickering most of the time i have been driving it.

it much smother and changes gear better aswell.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi just to add to this topic, After replacing the front discs and pads on my Sedona 2hours before MOT, I took her for a run to bed the pads in, while travelling at 45mph I pressed the brake pedal just to help with the bedding in, 3 seconds later the engine cut out no power, released the brake and the power returns, a safety feature in case of an accident

1 - 7 of 7 Posts