Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone else experienced anything similar when changing gear, there is a slight crunching going into 4th only. I was worried that I wasn't putting the clutch in enough but that is definitely not the problem. My cars only done 63k. I'm wondering if it would be covered under warranty. Kia scared me with the price if its not covered and is wear and tear, but surely it shouldn't be wear and tear after 63k miles driven normally?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
If its worn its wear and tear BUT a gearbox is not a "wear and tear" item. Brakes are, clutches are, tyres, exhausts are but things like a gearbox are expected to last the life of the car thus are covered under the T & C's of the warranty. In 48 years on the road I have only needed one gearbox repair and that car had done over 100,000 miles/6 1/2 years and had led a hard life towing most weekends during the summer months. If the car had been a Kia it would not have been covered despite being under the age limit since it had exceeded the mileage limit.

Suggest you try a different dealer. Post approx where you are and other may know a dealer who talks sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I can't imagine it being wear and tear, I've had the car since 10k miles and I don't drive recklessly. It has regular services. I'm just hoping I don't get fobbed off. I've had to book it in to kia so they can find out what the problem is and see if it's covered under the warranty. My fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
I'm sure that I have read of a problem with some of the Sportage gearboxes. Perhaps if you do a search on the site or Google, you may find something. EDIT: here you go:-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts