Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
My 1.7 diesel cruise works fine apart from the "up" incremental switch. The down switch works fine but the up switch does nothing. In my old car, you could go up about 2 mph per push of the switch. Am I following the correct procedure? I think that the handbook said to just push up, for an increase and down for a decrease (which is working). Contact cleaner sprayed into switch, so will report back after a bit of drying out and testing.

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The electrical contact cleaner did the trick. It did nothing when I actually sprayed it ( I used the straw attachment in the spray nozzle for accuracy of aim ) but after some clicking on and off and back and forward movements of the slide switches, after leaving it overnight, they all work now. Success!

·
Registered
KIA SPORTAGE KX-3 SAT NAV CRDI A
4 Posts
The electrical contact cleaner did the trick. It did nothing when I actually sprayed it ( I used the straw attachment in the spray nozzle for accuracy of aim ) but after some clicking on and off and back and forward movements of the slide switches, after leaving it overnight, they all work now. Success!
Bravo! Contact cleaner is excellent stuff BUT NOT instantaneous. You need to work it in fully (2-3 mins), allow it to disolve the crud; then work it again before you see full benefits.

It's also excellent for old style (crackly) volume pots too on my Roberts radio!

·
Registered
Sportage 1.7 Diesel
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smoking whilst driving can cause carbon (ash) to build up in electrical switches and either short them out (carbon allows an electrical path) or gum them up! The old Bedford vans were well known for it on the indicator switches. Those in the know would remove the tops, give them a blow out with an airgun and spray a bit of lighter fluid around the contacts! It worked well until someone got carried away with the lighter fluid and set fire to himself when he flicked the switch to test it!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.