Kia Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
A cruise control is a 'Dumb' system - it can only 'react' to road conditions - whereas as a driver you can 'anticipate' approaching hills so that you can add a little power as you start to climb (or even just before) and you can back off at the top just before you start the descent.If the CC system senses the car slowing down it will jam on full throttle to try and maintain speed - conversly as it senses acceleration (ie going downhill) it will back right off on the throttle but it will not apply the brakes for you.The heavier the car then the downhill acceleration will probably be more noticeable/faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well d'uh… you go downhill and the car gains speed? No shit? really?

Cruise control can't apply the brakes - that is the domain of the driver.
And cruise control cannot defy the laws of gravity.

I have onwned about 15 cars with cruise control from various manufacturers and not a single one has managed to prevent a car gaining speed when going downhill...

I do wonder what cloud some people live on...
Well excuse me for living, my previous cars have managed to hold speed going down hill and not over accelerate going up the outside either.
Didn't realise this was a forum to abuse others and treat people like they were brainless.

·
Registered
233 Posts

I have onwned about 15 cars with cruise control from various manufacturers and not a single one has managed to prevent a car gaining speed when going downhill...

Interesting post ;)

Our Sportage CC does not auto brake going downhill, Our previous car certainly did maintain set cruise speed when going down hill 😂

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I must say the KIA Sportage is the first vehicle i have owned that does over run and gain speed whilst havin CC engaged and going downhill, and the speed drops off a couple mph whilst driving uphill.
I thought it was due to the Sportage being heavier than other vehicles i have owned, then i think about all the coaches i have driven with CC on and thought it can`t be a weight thing as once CC was set they would go up hill and down hill stuck on 100kph 62mph (the speed i usually set it at) loaded or unloaded, the only time CC was disengaged was when or if there was a "plain clothed police car" in front of me , or in other words a private motorist who either insisted on driving in the second lane as it was mandatory in a car or they didn`t agree that a coach was allowed to travel at 100kph so decided they would hold you up whilst passing imaginary vehicles they were seeing in the first lane!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think we would have to define how steep a hill we are talking about,and whether the car is manual or auto perhaps.
I have had quite a few cars with CC and it does vary between manufacturers as to how well they work - as i posted earlier - the system is 'Dumb' and just reacts to anything which slows or speeds up the vehicle.
Most cars with CC will be able to cope with a slight downhill by just throttling back but a steep hill/long hill would require vehicle braking to keep the speed constant.
When encountering an uphill - once the CC senses that the car is starting to slow it will just go to full throttle to try and regain set speed.
We have an older Sportage (2008) and I must say that it is not the best CC in the world for maintaining an exact speed especially when initially selected,it seems to take a few seconds to 'settle' but i just accept it as an idiosycracy of the car.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
When I first got my Sporty I really noticed how little engine braking there was by comparison to previous cars I have owned. This means that it has low rolling resistance and smooth transmission, which is a good thing for economy. Agree that it does drop 1 or 2 mph when encountering a hill before catching up again - so what? If you try going down the same hill at the sape speed and in the same gear but without CC engaged (do not anticipate the transition from level to down by lifting the accelerator early) you will find that it will accelerate just the same as it did on CC. I have found that if you leave it on CC and it continues to accelerate it will drop a gear or two in an effort to increase engine braking but as I said the effect on speed is not great. This is just an effect of low rolling resistance.

·
Registered
716 Posts

Out of the 5 cars we have owned with cruise control (Kia, Seat Nissan and Skoda) the Kia is the only one that has been unable to regulate its speed going downhill.

Judging by the comments above it seems that Kia have yet to catch up in this respect with other manufacturers and that is a real shame. Having to watch the speedo whilst in cruise was a real pain in the Ceed, in the others its been totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Out of the 5 cars we have owned with cruise control (Kia, Seat Nissan and Skoda) the Kia is the only one that has been unable to regulate its speed going downhill.

Judging by the comments above it seems that Kia have yet to catch up in this respect with other manufacturers and that is a real shame. Having to watch the speedo whilst in cruise was a real pain in the Ceed, in the others its been totally unnecessary.
Presumably those other cars have a higher rolling resistance, or do they have a magic throttle which can take a negative position?

·
Registered
70 Posts

sorry to burst your bubble of ignorance 137699 but not every car gains speed as it goes downhill whilst CC is active. Take it from someone who lives in a town with some serious hills and has tested this. My previous car (Audi A4 TFSI multitronic) did not, for example.
Whilst i think Kia's are great value for money, the CC system used in the Audi was infinitely better in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Not quite, you can feel them applying the brakes to maintain the set speed downhill.
I see, they apply the brakes. Must say I would like my KIA to do that too but it's no biggie. My KIA is the first car I have owned with CC so I have no basis for comparison.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I see, they apply the brakes. Must say I would like my KIA to do that too but it's no biggie. My KIA is the first car I have owned with CC so I have no basis for comparison.
Neither did I, thought the Ceed was brilliant until I had a car that maintained speed downhill as well as on uphills and the flat.

Then there is adaptive cruise control, even more brilliant. If you get in traffic it sets the speeds automatically to that of the car in front, when that car speeds up so do you, when you indicate to pull out it accelerates.

Only problem is when sometimes you don't spot its slowed you down to say 65mph because of the car in front on an otherwise empty motorway. That is a real "feck" moment.

If the Kia system still works as it did in 2010 and doesn't maintain your speed downhill it certainly puts me off one as my next car. Quite fancied a Ceed plugin.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Mine does not have ACC (wish it did) and because ACC must apply brakes I wonder if this then also is used for downhill speed control.

Electrically powered or hybrids usually have much more engine braking because they use regeneration to recharge the battery so the Ceed plug in might not be so problematic in that respect..

·
Registered
284 Posts
My previous car was a Niro with adaptive cruise control and would maintain the set speed both up and down hills. Perhaps it is only the cars with the standard cruise control which don't apply the brakes.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My previous car was a Niro with adaptive cruise control and would maintain the set speed both up and down hills. Perhaps it is only the cars with the standard cruise control which don't apply the brakes.
A Niro has electric motors so it can fill the battery when going downhill.

I wouldn't expect a manual car to do anything once power has fully backed off. Perhaps it's worth considering that Europe is now a backwater for stubbornly sticking to manual so it seems unlikely that manufacturers can be bothered to add refinements to the brakes to do something that can be done with a modern transmission.

But it reminds me of the Chrysler I hired a car in the States a few years ago with a curious bug. It was an 8sp auto and when going down hill it would drop 2 or 3 gears trying to hold the speed. If that was not enough, there would be a half second or so pause, then it would drop another gear and accelerate. Perhaps it was trying to match revs to the next gear and forgot to cut power when connected again. It was a bit unnerving the first couple of times before I decided the best thing to do was cancel CC when going down hill.

The perfect gearbox for an ICE is, of course, the CVT (I really don't understand why some people hate them). The Toyota I had in New Zealand was suberb. Set cruise to 60mph and on the flat it was doing 2000rpm. As the road undulated the rev counter just gently moved up and down, either as extra power or resistance was needed. None of the crude lurching and surging from stepped gears.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts