Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something...

When I set the limiter speed it puts the set speed up on the dash but when I set the cruise control speed it doesn't and just says SET. Is this normal? Every modern car I have ever driven that has cruise it shows the set speed on the dash somewhere... I can't see it?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
I think it shows the limit speed, so you know what you set and can change it as limit changes. The cruise is a ""self driving""� mode, so you can check it with the speedo, as that is the speed it will (try) to run at.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you play about you can nearly drive on cruise without brakes by controlling the speed from the steering wheel. Once cruise is set just raise and lower speed as required by the + - switch on steering wheel. Offcourse when lowering it from the steering wheel you have to wait to the car slows down so not much use going down a hill. If you brake and the cruise comes of just push the switch to the + and car will accelerate to the last cruise speed you had set. I find the cruise on the sporties to work well once you get used to it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cornish dave said:
You can see it look at the speedo . Rizmo you beat me to it
Ah... you mean that if I have the speed numerical display showing then that will show the set speed (not the actual speed)?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just on cruise many moons ago I had mark 3 cortina she was a blue beauty . So I fitted a cheap after market cruise control it worked by holding the accelerator cable in one place when you set it. It worked fine on the flat until you got to an incline and then car slowed down worse still if you were coming down a hill wow look out. Ahh the old days!! Glad cruise control has moved on a bit since these days.

Edited by: toolpusher

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Paul_Moxhay said:
Cornish dave said:
You can see it look at the speedo . Rizmo you beat me to it
Ah... you mean that if I have the speed numerical display showing then that will show the set speed (not the actual speed)?

No. To set the CC you must manually accelerate to the desired speed and then hit set. You know what the set speed is 'cos you were going at that speed when you set it. If you nudge + or - once this will alter your set speed by 1 mph. If you hold + or - the speed will change in the desired direction until you release the toggle (in my experience it slightly overshoots when you do this).Your speedo is telling you everything you need to know, except see below.

If you brake or press suspend then CC disengages but remembers the last set speed so if you then hit + (resume) it will accelerate back to the last set speed. You just have to remember the last set speed or go through the manual set process again.

Edited by: Turnup

·
Registered
832 Posts
You just have to remember the last set speed or go through the manual set process again.

Judging by the poll some of us have a job to find the way home

·
Registered
623 Posts
Why would you need it to show what speed the cc is set to? You can see the speed you're going..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turnup said:
Your speedo is telling you everything you need to know, except see below.
If you brake or press suspend then CC disengages but remembers the last set speed so if you then hit + (resume) it will accelerate back to the last set speed. You just have to remember the last set speed or go through the manual set process again.
OK. Thanks.

So it doesn't display the set speed. That is a pity. It is a bit of a pain as I use the +/- toggle on the steering wheel to increase/decrease the speed when on the motorway... I can't do that now as I won't know what the set speed it.

This is the first thing about my new sporty that I don't like

Oh yes... and the fact it doesn't have auto stop/go... and it doesn't have smart cruise.

Edited by: Paul_Moxhay

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why can't you use plus and minus? When you resume CC it resumes back up to speed, you can then adjust it from there.

On my Cee'd, I typically just set mine to 75 on the speedo which is 70 actual and leave it there, if I want to accelerate I use the accelerator and then cruise control takes over when I let back off.

CC only cancels if you press clutch or brake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cspiby said:
Why can't you use plus and minus? When you resume CC it resumes back up to speed, you can then adjust it from there.

On my Cee'd, I typically just set mine to 75 on the speedo which is 70 actual and leave it there, if I want to accelerate I use the accelerator and then cruise control takes over when I let back off.

CC only cancels if you press clutch or brake.
That isn't how I use CC on my previous car (Nissan Qashqai)...

The way I am use to, and prefer, is I can set the target speed visually on the dash. The car then accelerates up to THAT speed when I engage CC. This is particularly useful when the speed limit changes... say I am on CC at 70... I encounter a 50 zone for road works... on the Qashqai I can simply hold the +/- toggle until 50 is shown then the car will slow to 50... then when I reach the end of the road works and the limit returns to 70 I simply toggle up until 70 is shown and the car automatically speeds up to 70.

With the sporty I have to do the speeding up and slowing down manually and set the CC when I reach the target speed or do it incrementally on CC until I reach that speed. OK, it is a minor inconvenience and not a big thing but never the less, it isn't as good as the Qashqai IMO.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup... counting is the way... but it's a good job I have Lane Keep Assist because I will have to let go of the steering wheel with my left hand to help me keep count while pressing the toggle with my right

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cornish dave said:
Just flick the - button 20 times from 70 and you have it stop the arthritis it the thumb from getting worse

Or just hold the CC switch up on + or - to go faster or slower until you reach the desired speed as indicated by the speedo. I like the CC on the Sportage works just fine especially when combined with LKA doing the steering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
KIAs CC is not as good as other cars I have owned.

The most annoying thing for me is when I am on a straight road and I have it set at 98 km/h but when road starts to go downhill it does not keep the same speed ... it increases... and when the road is straight again then it goes back to 98 km/h.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I know the options. Just saying it isn't as good as being able to set a specific speed... that is all.

I am surprised, and disappointed, that the CC on the Sportage isn't better than it is. It is OK but for a car with so much other tech on it it seems to me that the CC has been forgotten about a little.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why didnt you buy another QQ IF THEY ARE SO GOOD, sorry not being an A--- but just seems strange to me.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts