Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new Sportage 2.0 CRDI XS.
I took it on its first decent run last week towing my caravan and it ran really well.

The only niggle I had was that if I braked to a stop quickly the cruise control stopped working for a while afterwards. The cruse control will activate with the on/off button but will not set.

I am not talking of an emergency stop, just braking from 60 mph and pulling into a passing place on a busy dual carriage way. It happened about4times and after around 10 miles the fault cleared.

I suspect the ECU is locking out the cruise control for some reason due to the heavy braking but there is nothing in the manual to explain this.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Graham

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, that sounds plausable. I need to phone the dealer and see what they say.
Hope its a quick fix as the car is only 6 weeks old and its a 50 mile round trip.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi GMac not had that problem as I have an auto, but would agree with Murphwiz its not seeing the brake or clutch switches.
Both of them should disconnect the cruise control.

Wait till that engine hasdone 10 K it will be a different machine with loads of torque,

Bob.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mobilemick said:
Does it only happen with the Caravan on ?

So far its only happened with the caravan on but I have not tried braking hard without the caravan yet.

It's possible hard braking is making the brake switch stick on. I am at a loose end today so I will go and try it out. Let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe the caravan is keeping the brake circuit alive, just enough to see for the ecu to stop cruise working,

Could still be a faulty switch, but they normally last longer than 6 weeks

if either brake, clutch or accelerator is pressed cruise turns off

Edited by: Mobilemick

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mobilemick said:
Maybe the caravan is keeping the brake circuit alive, just enough to see for the ecu to stop cruise working,

Could still be a faulty switch, but they normally last longer than 6 weeks

if either brake, clutch or accelerator is pressed cruise turns off

I tried to replicate the fault today without the caravan and I could not. It was just an 8 mile run to the shops so I only had a chance to test a couple of times so it was not a thorough test. It is looking like a fault caused bythe caravan.

The car is booked in onthe 17th Aug for diagnostics with my dealer but if the car is not at fault they might charge me, so I will maybe cancel the appointment. I'll give it a few more days to see if the fault occurs again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kia passa said:
Wait till that engine hasdone 10 K it will be a different machine with loads of torque,

Bob.

Does it really take as much as 10K to fully run in?

I noticed a big difference after the first 1000 miles as it struggled in 6th gear even without towing.

Now with over 2000 on the clock it can hold 60mph on fairly steep gradients towing the caravan.

If you drop under 2000rpm the power really drops off. I guess 2000rpm is when the turbo kicks in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts