Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give any advice, find it very difficult to get cruise control to work, I've depressed brake when starting up as it says in manual but have only managed to egt it going once. Is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Turn cruise control on, then select - on the speed rocker switch on the steering wheel.. It will hold your speed constant as whatever speed your doing. Don't hold the brake though, that's only to turn it offEdited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
226 Posts
Turn on - see indicator on dash light up
Press the minus/set button to set activate at the speed your doing now (dash says "set")
Press + to increase and - to decrease speed
Press O to stop (or touch brake)
Press + to return to the speed you were at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both who've answered but it doesn't work, the 'set' doesn't light up and it says in the manual that on a manual transmission car you should tap the brake pedal when starting to set cruise control, think this might be one for the garage.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's a good point thunder. You sure it's not the upper speed alert? Not sure if the 2 spec has that either but there located in the same position on mine, right next to each other on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Flattie said:
Thanks to both who've answered but it doesn't work, the 'set' doesn't light up and it says in the manual that on a manual transmission car you should tap the brake pedal when starting to set cruise control, think this might be one for the garage.
If you have CC fitted The brake pedal has to be pressed after starting the engine and before switching on the CC. The only time this has caught me out was leaving a Motorway Service Area and not needing to use the brakes before trying to use the CC. The CC controller needs to "see" the brake pedal switch check before it will switch on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
But the car cancels the CC when the ignition is turned off. And typically you wouldn't set the cruise control before moving off. I don't know if it's just habit or not but I always have my foot brake engaged before removing the handbrake anyway to prevent roll or if someone were to hit the car before I've done final move off observations. So maybe that's why it's never been a problem for me. But in all honesty every car I've ever owned has had cruise control and this "brake before setting" is news to me. Especially when the cars ECU would flag a engine management light if the brake sensor wasn't recognised. If I remember correctly it's part of the OBD 1-2 ignition profile software to check all safety related circuits by the time the electrical purge for the airbags has charged. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had a C'eed yesterday while my Sportsge was bring serviced and the set up was exactly the same as my own car.

On the right hand side of the steering wheel two buttons and a toggle switch.

Left button CC on(standby)/off when on(standby) you get a green speedo light on the dash.

Right button cancel - switches CC to standby from activated mode, touching brake or depressing clutch does same.

Toggle switch - down sets CC to the speed you are doing you need to be above 26mph.Now you are in activated mode. Up increases speed and down decreases speed.

Now when you brake, change gear or cancel if you go up the CC activates and goes back to the speed you had previously set (resume)

·
Registered
86 Posts
RichieD76 said:
I don't know if it's just habit or not but I always have my foot brake engaged before removing the handbrake anyway to prevent roll or if someone were to hit the car before I've done final move off observations. So maybe that's why it's never been a problem for me. But in all honesty every car I've ever owned has had cruise control and this "brake before setting" is news to me.
It is news to you because of your car starting habits, all CC systems do a safety check before engaging and this includes the brake pedal switch CCcontacts.

The brake pedal instruction is on page 5/29 of the user manual.

Edited by: deeps

·
Registered
86 Posts
thunderbird said:
Surely it should say that to "activate" thecruisecontrol you have to press the brake pedal before going through all the other steps described above.
Yes I would agree, but only once after starting the engine. I have yet to see instructions that don't loose a little in translation. I am sure the folk who bother to read the manual get the message.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is of much use but I have a 2008 carens with c.c. and don't normally have to depress the brake pedal to set it on, except in very rare occurences when the c.c won't come on until I do give a quick press of the brake pedal. Edited by: oorya

·
Registered
86 Posts
oorya said:
Not sure if this is of much use but I have a 2008 carens with c.c. and don't normally have to depress the brake pedal to set it on, except in very rare occurences when the c.c won't come on until I do give a quick press of the brake pedal.
That sounds right.You must have used the brakes (brake pedal) since the engine was started or the CC will not switch on.

Two situations:-

Starting from a Motorway service area you brake gently on theslip road before joining the motorway.A mile further onyou switch on the CC.- CC will work.

Starting from a Motorway service area you do not need to use the brakes from starting the engine until you try to switch on the CC. - CC will not switch on. Touch the brake pedal and thenyou will be able to switch it on.

Edited by: deeps

·
Registered
536 Posts
Istill cant believe people start the car without depressing the foot brake and clutch. Saves on a stretched handbrake cable if the...other half....leave's it in gear. Realised why I move off from the foot brake though. My old car had an electronic handbrake and needed the foot brake to be depressed to release it. But still best practice in my opinion. Never know when your kids have taken life insurance out on you and cut your brake lines!
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always start the engine with my foot on the clutch, but not the brake. The motorway service area where I left the car park and did not use the brakes until I realised why my CC was not working was Killington, it has a short, almost straight
run to the slip road.
Much like Tebay northbound.Edited by: deeps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts