Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my Sportage just under 4 months now.
In the last week, the sunroof has started to creak loudly every time either side of the car goes above or below the other side (e.g. two wheels up on a speed ramp, the other two wheels on the road).

Anyone else notice this happening?

Edited by: Baz53

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds like a load bearing or bending issue with a strut.

Not seen a cross section of the roof and not sure how its manufactured.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting I get a rattle or similar on our not so smooth roads. Would like to hear the outcome of this with my car only 3500 onto clock and just under 6months old.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Not heard any creacks or rattles from mine but the ice during last winter sounded a bit alarming as it broke up round the sunroof seams as the car body flexed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 1.6 petrol Sportage 2 first reg Jan 2011, from day1 we have had a suspension noise, knocking or rattle especially over slighty rough roads and at lower speeds. Our dealer has relpaced front torsion bar linkage and also done a Kia "fix", which has helped a bit but still noisy. Anyone else experienced this? Also now have a creaky dash, especially when warmed by the sun! Dealer says he will notify Kia and if enough people complain they may send out a fix!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi BandB

I also have a suspension noise over slightly rough roads and particularly over speed bumps. It seems to be coming from the front right. Don't have any dashboard creaks yet thankfully.

Whinge mode ON....

Other things include:
<ul>[*]Squeaky front seats when you get in or out. The driver's side feels like something has actually come loose at the base of my back[*]First thing in the morning the air conditioning doesn't work at the set temperature until you turn it down to the minimum for a few seconds and then turn it back to the desired temp[*]Flaky bluetooth. I've given up on this[*]Noisy brakes[*]The amazing self-lowering front seat. I read somewhere that this is due to sitting on the lever when getting in and out, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been doing this[*]The car lurches forward or back when the handbrake is engaged just after you take your foot off the brake[/list]Whinge mode OFF...

I still love the car, but I'm genuinely worried about the long term. It's not 4 months old yet with only 7,000 KM on the clock and I really did not expect these kind of issues already.

I haven't brought it back to the dealer yet but I think I will now have to.

Edited by: Baz53

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Baz53
Well we don't have as many issues as you, but like you we still love the car, it's just very irratating to spend a lot of money and not get it just right. We have not had these problems with last three new Mazda's that we had!! So I guess we just carry on and keep complaining to the dealer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had my last Mazda 6 2 years from new, in which time it had the heated rear window switch replaced as it was faulty from new, generated a check engine fault that no-one ever got to the bottom of on its first motorway run, developed a habit of flattening the battery overnight that was never properly sorted, and had to have a new tailgate switch. It also hesitated whenever you accelerated from overrun.

In contrast, my Sportage has so far behaved impeccably (touch wood). The bluetooth works fine with my cheap crappy Nokia phone, the seats neither squeak nor descend, the brakes aren't noisy and the only thing that rattles is my Gromit air freshener. It does move a few inches when you go from footbrake to handbrake, even if it is in gear, but it doesn't seem to be a problem once you get used to it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I booked mine into the dealer yesterday and collected it this morning. A few points that may be of interest:

1. There is a service bulletin (TSB) from Kia for the 'suspension noise over bumpy roads' issue. The solution is to install two new front shocks. They have ordered mine and will install asap.
  2. They took off the sunroof and siliconed all the rubber seals and this has stopped the creaking for now.
  3. The movement inside the front seat is being put down to the active headrest system. Their solution was to turn on the lumbar support, which does seem to have helped.
  4. The noisy brakes on a downhill slope areapparentlynormal and to be expected.
  5. There is also a TSB for the amazing self-lowering front seat. As mentioned in another thread, there is a new lever available, which is thinner and shorter than the original. They've ordered one for me.
  6. They also said Kia are aware of the bluetooth problems and are working on a software upgrade which will be available in the next two to three months
All in all, it's good to see the majority of issues are known and hopefully will be addressed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are these faults rectified automaticalyduring first service or do they have to be reported prior.My only known faults are the amazing lowering seat which i have temporarily resolved by turning the handle round and the acceleration flatspot common to some 2.0 litre petrol models.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know that. Maybe Viking Paul or someone else in the trade could answer that?

·
Registered
662 Posts
john123 said:
Are these faults rectified automaticalyduring first service or do they have to be reported prior.My only known faults are the amazing lowering seat which i have temporarily resolved by turning the handle round and the acceleration flatspot common to some 2.0 litre petrol models.

as dealers some time our crystal balls don't work so its all ways best to make sure your dealer knows that you are haveing issues don't turn up for a first service with a long whinge list that the dealer knows nothing about and then expect the cars to be fully fixed some time we do need parts and time

top tip lubricate your sunroof seal with vasiline lightly after you wash the car just the smallist amount stops the seal shrinking , squeeking and will stop it freezing in the winter

seat rattle is active headrest being lifted from its base when you sit in the seat and apply pressure to the lower back section lifting the backrest so you sit more upright cures this

have't seen any sportages that rattle yet so can't comment on that

bluetooth does seem to be an issue with some phones and there is now a new list of compatable(tested) phones available to dealers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had my sportage 1.7 eco about 3 weeks from new. Opened the sunroof but then couldn't close it. This happened at midnight with rain forcast. covered it over with plastic sheet til the following morning ( luckily, it stayed dry . Took it back to the dealers who, after 2 hours of testing, rang Kia who stated that it is an electrical fault and is down as a recall. Have to wait now for the part to be delivered, allegedly about 4 days. Just wondered if anyone knows of this problem as Ive not managed to find any reference to it on the net?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
snowbo0 said:
Had my sportage 1.7 eco about 3 weeks from new. Opened the sunroof but then couldn't close it. This happened at midnight with rain forcast. covered it over with plastic sheet til the following morning ( luckily, it stayed dry . Took it back to the dealers who, after 2 hours of testing, rang Kia who stated that it is an electrical fault and is down as a recall. Have to wait now for the part to be delivered, allegedly about 4 days. Just wondered if anyone knows of this problem as Ive not managed to find any reference to it on the net?

I haven't come across this anyway and certainly hope I don't!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
We have just had the Kia "fix" for noisy suspension, and YES it has worked after 5 attempts to stop the noise, we now have a beautiful quiet car, and we love it even more now. (Still have creaky roof though!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BandB said:
Hi
We have just had the Kia "fix" for noisy suspension, and YES it has worked after 5 attempts to stop the noise, we now have a beautiful quiet car, and we love it even more now. (Still have creaky roof though!)

Did they replace the front shocks? Was there anything else done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes they replaced front shocks, as far as we know that was all. They also greased the sunroof? It does seem to be a bit quieter, but they also admit that we have a creak from the dash and the headling/sunroof, and have notified Kia and when enough people complian Kia may send out a fix!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts