Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you changed the fuel filter on a Rio CRDI ?
i'm talking about doing it yourself,in the event you have,would you mind telling me how you did it ?
it's like no fuel filter i have ever come across

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yep I've taken it off the car a couple o times.
To gain access here's what I did
1. take airbox and the ecu off the car or move it to one side. I took the lot off but be careful with the connectors to ecu.
2. release the fuel lines by pushing on the connectors at joints
3. release all electrics from the filter housing unit
4. unbolt the filter housing from strut top mount on inner wing
5. place the housing in a vice
6. take off the water sensor at bottom of filter and catch the diesel in a container
7. use a suitable filter removal tool and unscrew filter from housing.
8. Install is the reverse of removal but be careful screwing the water sensor onto filter so as not to strip the plastic thread and make sure the rubber seal is in good condition
Once its all on car release the bleed screw and prime the filter till no more air comes out of bleed screw. Tighten bleed screw.
You could fill the filter with diesel prior to screwing to housing so as to quicken the bleeding of it.
Start car and it may stutter a bit till all air is out of fuel lines. I usually have the idle up a bit to help it along.
Make sure the ecu connectors are on good and proper.
An easy job really

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Davy, why did you have to take the fuel filter off? Did it need changing or were you just curious? lol

BTW, Do you know what the replacement mileage is for the fuel filter on a diesel Rio?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
It was a change of filter due to time and mileage. The last one was changed at 19k 2 years ago by Kia.
Car has got 29k miles on it now.
I would change the filter every 20k miles to be safe. Kia says 20k miles or 2 years.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Interesting, I checked my manual and it says change at 3rd service, 37.5 k or 36 months. Maybe they've changed this since you got yours? But I'm wondering if I should change it sooner, 37.5 k sounds like a lot of miles on one filter.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Mines a 2006 model. Had a look in manual and it is 20k miles or 2years. But I think I will be renewing filter every year regardless of the low miles.
What years yours M4 ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for that information Davy ,was very straight forward.
took about 40min to do,considering its the first fuel filter change since new in 08,and 93000 km.
so i wont let it go above 30000,next change.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Tried changing the fuel filter on Rio and it's turned into a bit of a nightmare. I didn't want to buy one from Kia as they want £26 for one! I got one on line from Reisse, but it'sshorter and the thread for the water sensor at the bottom is smaller. I then got one from GSF, it looked like mine on the picture and the car type and age matched, but when it arrived it was the same as the one from Reisse!
I see MANN list lots of different filters for the Kia Rio 1.5 CRDi. I always though Kia used the same filter throughout for this car. I was wondering if someone knew of different Kia part numbers for different years for the filter?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry can't help with the question but would relay my experience of fuel filters in that every one I've ever changed was clean as a whistle. I've stopped changing them as a matter of routine now. None of my cars has ceased to function as a result.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The fuel filter takes out the microscopic stuff you can't see. The big stuff is taken out by the strainer in the tank. Fuel filters do get blocked over time. This can lead to reduced power and increased fuel consumption.
From what I've learned from the MANN online catalogue is that there seems to have been a change from an M8 thread to an M10 thread in 2006 for the water sensor. Most of the aftermarket parts manufacturers do not seem to be aware of this, so watch out!

·
Registered
358 Posts
M4trundler said:
The fuel filter takes out the microscopic stuff you can't see. The big stuff is taken out by the strainer in the tank. Fuel filters do get blocked over time. This can lead to reduced power and increased fuel consumption.
That's the theory the filter suppliers punt out for sure. Having spoken to a number of old wagon drivers the filters used to clog within less than one tankfull of bad fuel in the old days. These days that just doesn't happen. Fuel quality is much more reliable. If the filter was taking anything out it'd gradually change colour. It's inconceivable that the debris is the same colour as the filter. I just haven't seen a a filter look anything less than pristine on removal. I'm not saying they can't get clogged but I am suggesting that it's far more likely to go very quickly from pristine to clogged than very slowly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts