Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unfortunate enough to have someone reverse into my car the other day hitting the rear near side wing above the rear wheel arch. Looking at the damage it looks like its going to need a whole new rear quarter panel and bumper.

Was wondering if anyone else has had have their rear quarter panel replaced and how much this cost and how long the repair took to fix.

From looking at the car myself it looks like a lot of work, i.e. removal of the doors, front wing etc just to get to the necessary points just to remove it.

Am I looking at a huge bill here or what?

PS: My car is a 58 Plate Kia Cee'd Sport 2.0 CRDI

Would be greatful for any replies.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would put some pictures if I were you so that you would get a better estimate of the repair needed.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hopefully the other drivers insurance should pay for it, get your insurance company to sort it, that's what you pay them for.
Why would the front wing have to come off to reapir the rear 1/4?

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Davy,
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Thanks for the tip. How do I post pictures? The option to insert images only has preset images and I can't seem to work out how to add my own.
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Steve

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul,

The other fella's insurance will cover the damage but his excess is £3k. He's only relatively young and has a brand new Merc and upped the excess to lower the premium. He's offered to pay for the damage himself. I will be taking it to a KIA garage to be repaired though.

Having looked at the rear 1/4 panel it starts from under the rear lower edge of the front wing, travels the length of the floor of the car then goes up over the roof and down the side of the windscreen back to the rear upper edge of the front wing.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I use www.photobucket.com and upload pics from my computer to photobucket then click on image code then copy and paste into the posting.
But I am sure they are other picture loaders on the internet that are similar.

If you do it right this is what you get

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks Davy. Heres a couple of pictures of the damage. It actually looks worse in reality than it does in the pictures. But the labour charges to repair this damage is what's going to push the price up. Plus I don't know what hidden damage it may have done in places I cant see. I have noticed now that the rear near side door is now miss aligned and the seal around the fuel filler car has a big gap where the pump nozzel goes in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
3K excess wow! Don't see why that should bother you though?Get a quote from a body work repairers and see if it is about the same as his excess. Would tell your insurer as a matter of course in case he changes his mind. How old was his Merc? If he can't afford insurance excess or premium the he should have bought a Picanto :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Exactly what si952 says. The other guys £3000 excess will not affect you, if you get it repaired by your insurance all you will have to pay is your excess and than claim that back via your legal cover (presuming you have it)or via a solicitor, motoring organisations used to a provide a service as well, cost me £5 once to get the excess and NCB back after a no fault claim. Regardless get it reported to your insurers immediately, just tell them its not a claim at present butwill turn into one if the other guy backs out. I suspect that he will back out when you get a quotation, if it has damaged the front wing, floor, roof and backwing/bumper itwill be very expensiveand could well be classed asan uneconomic repair i.e. be written off.
Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my opinion, look after number 1, Steve. These people often change their mind when you give them a price. It's essential that you inform your own insurance company asap. If he has 3k excess on his policy to lower his premiums he sounds like a man with little available funds to me so tread carefully. To be able to buy and run a Merc but not have full insurance cover rings alarm bells with me.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Steve

Have you considered that the other chap maybe trying to avoid going through his insurance for a very good reason i.e. he does not have any and is merely using the £3000 excess as a smokescreen. Don't know if the Police would assist if you gave them the reg number.

Paul

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi

Any update on the cost of those repairs and how are you getting on with regards to the other party coughing up?

Would love to know the outcome of this

Keep us updated please

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys, <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I got my car fixed but had to go through my own insurance in the end. It turned out the bloke was insured but he argued that I reversed into him, despite the fact I was stationary. Anyway, it all must have seemed like too much hassle for the insurance companies to argue it out so they apportioned blame 50-50.

But I had a nice little result when I got a cheque back the other day for half of my excess which I'd completely forgotten about. The total damage to my car came in at £1900 in the end.

But now I need a bit more advice. For a recent unrelated matter this time.

Recently, over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a knocking noise which has developed from the front end (and possibly the rear end too...I can't really tell)when travelling over uneven road surfaces at low speeds of between 0-15 mph.

The noise mainly appears to come from the front nearside but can be triggered when any wheel, front or rear, travels over a small bump. It seems to happen when the body of the car shifts rather than when a sudden shock is received since it does not make the noise at higher speeds. When going over a pot hole or cattle grid for example, the suspension seems to make the normal "thud" noise.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any ideas what the problem could be? I've tried "Googling"the problemand the nearest thing I could find was on a Honda Civic forum. They were mentioning things like "drop links", "bump stops", "top mounts" and "CV joints". However, no one was able to give a definitive answer.

All of the above parts sound like they would be subject to "wear and tear" clauses under the Warranty, but my car is only 3 years old and for these parts to be failing so soon seems a bit excessive for a car that's that age and only done 30k under normal driving conditions i.e. I haven't thrashed the car to within an inch of its life and only use it for commuting to work on the motorway, which for anyone who knows the A13 is limited to 50mph with average speed cameras...!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be / could have caused this and whether or not its going to cost me an arm and a leg to repair. Has anyone had a similar problem with this particular fault?

Hope you can help
Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts