Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Kia Sedona 2.9, I was driving on the motorway and heard a clanking noise which sounded as though something had 'fallen' off the underside of the car, a few moments later a similar noise about a mile up the road the car lost all power all the lights flashed up on the dash and i pulled over. RAC came out and said oil was all over the engine making it difficult to see what has happened so advised me to get towed to my garage. This I did. The garage inspected the car and said that they would need to replace the engine due to the 'damage' at a cost of £2,000-3,000! My husband phoned Kia and they asked to see the vehicle. Their report stated the following, 'Relayed in hole in the sump and metal lumps loose in sump, investigated and stripped off the sump found the balance shafts seized and sheared off the retained bolt, the crankshaft gear has torn teeth so requires replacement which involves crankshaft removal' I have had my car serviced as recommended, all be it not at a Kia Dealership as their labour rate is ridiculous, and had the cambelt changed in Dec. Kia won't cover it under warranty as the 7 year warranty doesn't apply to my vehicle, and they won't do it under a goodwill policy because I haven't had it services with them! I asked the aftersales manager, what I could have done to prevent this and he said there was nothing I could have done. The balance shaft seized due to either an oil blockage or the oil pump failing, (they can't check the oil pump because it is 'non existent', neither of these issues would show up as a fault on the dashboard panel. Therefore my argument is, if I can't prevent this from happening, by being advised there's a problem via the dash, or in a routine service, surely the car isn't fit for purpose, because if I was advised this problem could occur I would never have purchased the vehicle in the first place! I think this is fault on the Sedona but I don't know how to pursue this further; I have heard of Crank shaft pulley problems with other Kia models and wonder whether this is a similar fault, any experience from other members would be greatly received to help find out where I go from here currently being told £2,130.68 would solve the problem!

·
Registered
422 Posts
smegmyster said:
I have a 2006 Kia Sedona 2.9, I was driving on the motorway and heard a clanking noise which sounded as though something had 'fallen' off the underside of the car, a few moments later a similar noise about a mile up the road the car lost all power all the lights flashed up on the dash and i pulled over. RAC came out and said oil was all over the engine making it difficult to see what has happened so advised me to get towed to my garage. This I did. The garage inspected the car and said that they would need to replace the engine due to the 'damage' at a cost of £2,000-3,000! My husband phoned Kia and they asked to see the vehicle. Their report stated the following, 'Relayed in hole in the sump and metal lumps loose in sump, investigated and stripped off the sump found the balance shafts seized and sheared off the retained bolt, the crankshaft gear has torn teeth so requires replacement which involves crankshaft removal' I have had my car serviced as recommended, all be it not at a Kia Dealership as their labour rate is ridiculous, and had the cambelt changed in Dec. Kia won't cover it under warranty as the 7 year warranty doesn't apply to my vehicle, and they won't do it under a goodwill policy because I haven't had it services with them! I asked the aftersales manager, what I could have done to prevent this and he said there was nothing I could have done. The balance shaft seized due to either an oil blockage or the oil pump failing, (they can't check the oil pump because it is 'non existent', neither of these issues would show up as a fault on the dashboard panel. Therefore my argument is, if I can't prevent this from happening, by being advised there's a problem via the dash, or in a routine service, surely the car isn't fit for purpose, because if I was advised this problem could occur I would never have purchased the vehicle in the first place! I think this is fault on the Sedona but I don't know how to pursue this further; I have heard of Crank shaft pulley problems with other Kia models and wonder whether this is a similar fault, any experience from other members would be greatly received to help find out where I go from here currently being told £2,130.68 would solve the problem!
Sorry to hear that - Kia Customer Service seem to be monitoring most posts on this Forum perhaps they would like to take this one on board - although I shouldn't think you will be wanting to be told where your local Kia Dealer is located!

·
Registered
702 Posts
smegmyster said:

The crank shaft pulley coming off the sedona is a problem, I've done 3 over the years. I would like to be critical of the oil pump design on the Sedona and the 7 year warranty but as Alan said above the forum is now being monitored by Kia Customer Services so the oli pump design is of a wonderful futuristic forward looking technology and thank you Kia for the 7 year warranty . I'm always open to pm off the list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all. When my engine died on the motorway I was told as well as the turbo being destroyed, the oil pump had also seized up. The new oil pump comes with a modified sump strainer. I also found bits of metal in the sump as well as the sprockets on crank having teeth missing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
My Kia Carnival has just been towed off a French motorway to the Kia dealer in Troyes (South East of Paris, I was on my way home). They put the computer on it and said the crankshaft sensor was flagged, so they replaced it. Engine started and then they shut it down immediately because of the noise and the red oil light. They have since looked to the oil pump and have found the crank is missing a number of teeth, and I now need a new engine.
Being a Kia dealer they will only fit a new Kia engine at a cost of 10,900 Euro just for the engine, 1500 Euro to fit it.........
The car is a 2006 new shape and I would like to keep it so does anybody know anyone near the south coast who would be willing to go and pick the car up (4 hour drive from Calais) and fit a recon engine for me.........
If not I think I will just be scrapping it out there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dude, I would have it recovered and then get someone other than Kia to look at it. I have posted on here several times that this seems to be a common fault with Kia Sedonas. Mine is just in the process of having a new bottom end fitted thanks to exactly the same fault. Read through the posts on here. There are more than a few people with this model car with an identical fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Carnival/Sedona 2.9L Diesel 2006 on

If You hear a banging noise coming for the engine block, pull in immediately There is a fault with the end cap bearing, the cogs that drive the oil pump will go off line, this is where your clanking noise is coming from,if you don't stop the engine immediately you will incur total engine failure as you will cause the engine to cease from oil starvation
I'm on my second engine as we speak but still a Sedona fan nothing better with 4 kids and a trailer full of camping gear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts