Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I noticed today when I was cleaning the car inside that there were cracks in the “leather” on the driver seat. I have textil/fake leather seats. The car is only 2 years old and has 30000km on the clock. I for sure don’t think this is acceptable on a car this new and few mileage. I’m the only owner bought car new. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
587 Posts
I read here and elsewhere people suffering this type of wrinkling.

If it was a Bentley with Connolly leather, it would be unacceptable. But given it is KIA, and it is faux 'leather', you'll probably have to put it down to fair wear and tear. But it's worth asking your dealer; don't ask, don't get! If the bolster itself is collapsing (I think in some models the foam was apt to crumble) then that should indeed be a warranty job.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to do anything yourself to remedy the creases. Being a plastic 'leather' I suspect it won't respond to any traditional nourishing creams. Perhaps you could try Olay Regenerist? :giggle:

Reactions: captain23

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read here and elsewhere people suffering this type of wrinkling.

If it was a Bentley with Connolly leather, it would be unacceptable. But given it is KIA, and it is faux 'leather', you'll probably have to put it down to fair wear and tear. But it's worth asking your dealer; don't ask, don't get! If the bolster itself is collapsing (I think in some models the foam was apt to crumble) then that should indeed be a warranty job.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to do anything yourself to remedy the creases. Being a plastic 'leather' I suspect it won't respond to any traditional nourishing creams. Perhaps you could try Olay Regenerist? :giggle:
yes it’s a Kia but I really think that the quality in many things could be WAY better.There are several things that I can find on a Dacia that’s better.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,125 Posts
The black material of my Picanto seats are made from a faux leather fabric, the red bits are allegedly real leather. This is on page 3.6 of my Picanto handbook.
Feature of Seat Leather
• Leather is made from the outer skin of an animal, which goes through a special process to be available for use. Since it is a natural substance, each part differs in thickness or density. Wrinkles may appear as a natural result of stretching and shrinking depending on the temperature and humidity.
• The seat is made of stretchable fabric to improve comfort.
• The parts contacting the body are curved and the side supporting area is high which provides driving comfort and stability.
• Wrinkles may appear naturally from usage. It is not a fault of the product.
CAUTION • Wrinkles or abrasions which appear naturally from usage are not covered by warranty. • Belts with metallic accessories, zippers or keys inside the back pocket may damage the seat fabric. • Make sure not to wet the seat. It may change the nature of natural leather. • Jeans or clothes which could bleach may contaminate the surface of the seat covering fabric.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The black material of my Picanto seats are made from a faux leather fabric, the red bits are allegedly real leather. This is on page 3.6 of my Picanto handbook.
Feature of Seat Leather
• Leather is made from the outer skin of an animal, which goes through a special process to be available for use. Since it is a natural substance, each part differs in thickness or density. Wrinkles may appear as a natural result of stretching and shrinking depending on the temperature and humidity.
• The seat is made of stretchable fabric to improve comfort.
• The parts contacting the body are curved and the side supporting area is high which provides driving comfort and stability.
• Wrinkles may appear naturally from usage. It is not a fault of the product.
CAUTION • Wrinkles or abrasions which appear naturally from usage are not covered by warranty. • Belts with metallic accessories, zippers or keys inside the back pocket may damage the seat fabric. • Make sure not to wet the seat. It may change the nature of natural leather. • Jeans or clothes which could bleach may contaminate the surface of the seat covering fabric.
in my case it’s not wrinkles it’s cracks

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,125 Posts
in my case it’s not wrinkles it’s cracks
Have you had a word with your dealer yet? From what I read on here and another Kia forum Kia are getting a bit tight on warranty claims, especially with alloy wheel corrosion and seats. The final word will be Kia's, not the dealer, but it would be good to get the dealer on your side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you had a word with your dealer yet? From what I read on here and another Kia forum Kia are getting a bit tight on warranty claims, especially with alloy wheel corrosion and seats. The final word will be Kia's, not the dealer, but it would be good to get the dealer on your side.
I’m going to the dealership on Monday. I keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer rejected my warranty claim. They said Kia only take seats in warranty if stitches is broken. I have so many small complaints about my Ceed that adds up to a conclusion that this is my first and last Kia.

·
Registered
587 Posts
May be it's time to buy that Dacia?

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! I did a complaint to Kia customer service about the cracks in the leather. After several a bit angry e mails they said they will contact the dealer. And say to the dealer that they will get a second opinion frome there support. Today I received a call frome the dealer how say that Kia won’t take on warranty. BUT the dealer will take it under goodwill. They think like me and said that the car is only 2 years old and relatively low mileage. This is not acceptable that the leather shouldn’t crack already. They were a bit angry on Kia but they said they will take it.
So conclusion,with a little bit stubborn it went well. Now I just have to wait for the new seat cover. It was not available frome Kia and they had no idea went it will be back in.
I’m really sorry for my extremely poor English 🤗

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well that's a result, unexpected, but a result all the same. I wonder if a Skoda dealer would have offered you similar goodwill? ;)

Oh, and your English is just fine! (y)

Reactions: phil866

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Gaspo : I have switched from Golf, and I can tell you that VW cars have more hassles - changing cambelt, water pump etc costed like £600 every 4 years and the service is also expensive vs Kia's. But Golf never rattled a bit (mine was from 2008 with 110K miles and a TDI engine) but other things start falling apart, and they were expensive to repair. I don't like new VW cars like Golf, Octavia, Leon etc as they have every control via touchscreen- there is lot of cost cutting in those vehicles. Motor journalists don't bother about lifetime or longtime running cost. So if you keep car for few years you would be okay- I tend to keep mine for long time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Gaspo : I have switched from Golf, and I can tell you that VW cars have more hassles - changing cambelt, water pump etc costed like £600 every 4 years and the service is also expensive vs Kia's. But Golf never rattled a bit (mine was from 2008 with 110K miles and a TDI engine) but other things start falling apart, and they were expensive to repair. I don't like new VW cars like Golf, Octavia, Leon etc as they have every control via touchscreen- there is lot of cost cutting in those vehicles. Motor journalists don't bother about lifetime or longtime running cost. So if you keep car for few years you would be okay- I tend to keep mine for long time.
👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts