Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had problems with the windscreen on their Rio? Came back from holiday last year and a large crack had appeared on the right hand side, starting from the top edge. No sign of any impact damage. I would have liked to get it repaired under warranty but didn't bother and claimed on my insurance. Fast forward nine months and it's cracked again, this time on the left hand side starting from the edge. No impact damage. Fortunately it's under warranty (windscreen company's) so getting it sorted at no cost. A quick search on the net reveals that this is a common problem affecting other models worldwide due to a faulty batch of windscreens late '09.
Wonder if I could get my windscreen excess off Kia?

Kia, if you're reading this, you owe me seventy quid. Oh, and could you refund me the seventy odd quid one of your dealers charged me for a four wheel laser alignment on a car that was never set up right in the first place? Your dealer said it wouldn't be covered under warranty as it was a tracking issue, so perhaps you can understand why I didn't contact them about the cracked screen...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Good luck.

I do think the angle of the windscreen is wrong as it seems to suffer from stone chips easily.
I have had a few stone chips in mine.
Fortunately these have been repaired but I did find that Auto glass does not keep these windscreens in stock.

So bear in mind if you are after a replacement, you may be waiting longer than planned.
I will eventually get mine replaced, just waiting for the next stone chip to do something major to the windscreen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just be lucky its not a SEAT ibiza windscreen, when i had one, they chip very easily and a number of forum member compained of cracked windscreens from chips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plot thickens.
A mate has a Rio same age as mine (one digit different in the reg no as it happens) and his screen has cracked in the same place mine did.

Apparantly there was a bad batch of windscreens, no sign of a recall from Kia though.

Anyone else had this problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts