Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<DIV =msg>I bought a new Sportage in Jan 2011

One of the keys has lost the pin that keeps it in place

Upon taking it to the dealer, they have said that the metal had a hairline crack and that they would do me a temporary fix by putting in a new pin

By doing this it has almost snapped the whole thing as it is now cracked both sides althoughat least it is back in 1 piece

My problem is therefore that i am unwilling to pay the circa £130 replacement key fee as i believe this to be an inherent defect in the metal/design of the key as it has effectively snapped in less than a year since i bought it

It is not fit for purpose and should therefore be replaced free of charge although KIA are saying its not covered.

They have missed my point as its a claim for faulty goods more than a warranty claim

Even if i wanted to damage my own key i would honestly find it hard to get a hairline crack on the metal next to the pin simply by using the key daily

Thoughts please

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Glasgow<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately a crack or a break
isn't necessarily indicative of a defect in manufacture.

However, at Kia we always try to
help our customers where we can and we will gladly look into this for you.

If you would like us to do this, I'd
ask that you contact either your dealer and ask them to call Customer Service or
give us a call directly. Either way,
please make sure we are made aware of the forum post and your screen name, so
that we can make reference to this post.

Thanks again for getting in touch
- we look forward to hearing from you in the future

Kia Customer Service

0845 6017521

Visit www.kia.co.uk

Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk

Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Wednesday: 8:30am - 6pm

Thursday: 9:30am - 6pm

Friday: 8:30am - 6pm

Saturday: 9am - 1pm

Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
KCS I cant believe you are queerying this, a key thats cracked and yous' are humming an hawing about a key after the guy has spent a fortune on one of your products. COME ON KCS give something back please. Poor show from what I can see here

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
murphwiz said:
10s of thousands of cars and the odd key 'broken' does not a design fault make.
I agree but to keep good customer relations why not just replace it FOC. The cars only a year old and it has a "7 year warranty" bumper to bumper as I was told once.

·
Registered
887 Posts
davy said:
murphwiz said:
I agree but to keep good customer relations why not just replace it FOC. The cars only a year old and it has a "7 year warranty" bumper to bumper as I was told once.

But where do you draw the line at doing things FOC?
It's a long dark hole, and the warranty is there to cover manufacturing defects, 'damaged/broken' key, currently, is not considered a manufacturing defect.
To be fair to Kia, they probably have one of the best and fairest warranties going, at least it's backed by themanufacturer, try and get stuff done on a ford after year one, and thing magically become wear and tear or trim so not covered.

·
Registered
32 Posts
From what you have said the dealer has made the situation worse by trying to do a Temporary Fix. Surely the replacement is down to them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Spot on Bazza

All

I accept the point on poor design and that more keys would have it. The service team told me that to get pin inserted to the key they need to use pliers. I can only therefore assume that the key hss been damaged at initial creation.

I have never dropped the key. The key fob hardly has a scratch on it which provides evidence that the key has been kept in good order. Both KIA customer services and my initial dealer have told me that i must have dropped it. Which makes me angry as i have already told them i havent.

The most annoying part is when i ask the dealer how i could have possibly damaged the key with specific regard to the hairline crack and all i get is silence.

KIA CUSTOMER SERVICES

Thank you for the reply i will ring tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One final point i forgot to add.

The service manager told me that this was quite common from what he had seen

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had the same problem with my Kia cee'd key - lost the pin that keeps it in place and hairline crack. It is not fit for purpose and should therefore be replaced free of charge

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would hazard a guess the crack appeared before the pin came out, very difficult to remove the pin...If it was a poor design then the 5 kia folding keys in my family would've had a good percentage failed... but so far, all of us are still using the original keys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How comes some owners are getting these replaced foc and rest of us are being charged?This is a design fault and it is a known fault! A hairline crack appears first then the pin drops out. It happened to both my keys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thunderbird

You prob have it spot on

They may well be getting damaged in bags or pockets etc

These are prob the most common place people keep them so they shouldnt be failing based on that

Hopefully i will get this resolved soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Booth my folding keys are damaged -
cracked in the same place with pins lost.I would be happy if I get supplied with astandardkey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
when the pin fell out of my kia ceed key the burnley kia dealership replaced it under warranty.

i was also told it is a very common fault

Edited by: snozzler29

·
Registered
422 Posts
murphwiz said:
I don't think it has been implied the whole car has been designed faulty - but it is possible individual components fitted to the car could have been badly designed or manufactured. Sounds like this key is probably made from 'monkey metal' hence the weakness.Kia have taken it upon themselves to offer a 7 year warranty and this should cover everything other than serviceable items like brake pads, tyres, etc.
I'm sure when anyone buys a new Kia they get a comprehensive list of what is covered and what is not - are keys on the list?
Agree with everything Davy has said!

Edited by: alcutler

·
Registered
422 Posts
thunderbird said:
The Kia key is exactly the same as VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Peugeot use to name but 5. Never heard of wholesale failures of these thus either the keys are getting damaged or they are simply isolated failures. If the keys are stored in pockets, handbags etc it will put strain on them, is this the cause?
If the keys are so reliable and only a small number are breaking it shouldn't be any great shakes for Kia to replace the few defective ones under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
form what i have read on here, they surely know that the keys are a problem, so instead of trying to accuse people of dropping then etc, why dont they just admit that there is a problem with the manufacturing of these and sort it,

i currently have a vw touran, with the same pop out key car done 33.000 miles, i have in the past accidently dropped my keys,
no problems there have never touched the spare key since i have owned the car.

was looking at ordering kia ceed 2 sw in june may not bother now if they seem to be oblivious to the key problem

1 - 20 of 21 Posts