Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sportage 2015 recently when I get out of car only passanger courtesy light comes on. And when i unlock car again only passanger light comes on however if I press switch to turn light on it comes on I. E to read map etc.
Any advice

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had similar happen on mine, 2017, then I noticed the switch was off.

Is there a switch as well as pushing the light itself?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a switch which when I press turns both lights on but when off only one light comes on thanks for reply

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the same sometimes two would work then just one. checked the unit must have an internal fault ended up replacing the light unit.Check with Kia may be under warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  1. Yes there is a switch which when I press turns both lights on but when off only one light comes on thanks for reply
  2. I had the same sometimes two would work then just one. checked the unit must have an internal fault ended up replacing the light unit.Check with Kia may be under warranty.
    Thanks rang kia said they will look at it? But didn't say if its under warranty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no not yet rang local kia dealer they said not sure if its covered on warranty may just be a bulb but I explained bulb works if I push button to read map etc so no joy yet

·
Registered
35 Posts
This will be the unit its self. And it if the car is with in the warranty period and below the mileage then yes it will be a warranty concern as a internal fault.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Watching this one with great interest.
My Sporty has just begun doing this.
Front reading lights work fine when switched on and off seperately, but when the door open switch is at the on position and a door opens, only the rear passenger lights come on, the front one stays off....
Took the thing apart to see if I could switch the switches around to prove the switch may be faulty, but have no idea how to get the switches out... Anyone here tried... Looking at the costs for such a light assembly makes me quiver, they are bloo#y expensive :-(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sounds like a possible diode fault somewhere in the system. Diodes are sometimes used to steer the switched power to the lights while preventing back feed into the other lights. There is a thread around where someone had a similar problem with a boot light. Have a look to see if there are signs of a diode (a small black component) in series with the power feed connection to the bulb. If you can get hold of a wiring diagram it should help in fault finding, and indicate where a diode (if present) is located.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldnt have a clue what one would look like. Also, as the lights work when used individually kind of lets me know there is a problem with the switch, It cant be the door connectors as they all work fine with the rear passenger light...
I'll see if I can post a picture of the light assembly, perhaps someone will then know how to remove the switch for the door/curtesy light....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Searching the forum for "diode lights" I came across threads which report similar problems to yours.
e.g Part Number.

In that case the OP reported a broken wire but there are other threads where diodes have been faulty.

From this thread Boot light diode? this is what a diode looks like
All a diode does is let a light be powered from two separate switches, one the door switch say and one the light switch without affecting other lights in the system. This allows the door switches to turn on all lights but individual switches can only turn on individual lights. from your description this seems to describe your problem. They look like black blobs, usually with a silver paint band, somewhere in the chain.

(Edited to unscramble some words and add detail)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Blyme... ok...
Will remove the light assembly and look for those diodes, hope they are easily removed/replaced and then sourced :confused:.
Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Dead easy to source and will be a few pennies each. Will have a number on it like 1N4004. Do you have a muilitmeter? Quite easy to test the diode once you have found it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nope, aint got a multimeter, but from what I know they are dime a dozen.
Finding the diode though seems to be a pain in the Bottom :oops: tho

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just replaced the diode in the rear courtesy light 15 minutes ago, used a 1N4007 as I have many of them. The diode is seen on the back of the fitting as soon as you remove it from the head lining.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts