Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As winter's coming and first snow's already here, I wanted to get my first proper set of winter tyres for my Picanto.

The idea is to go with a smaller 14'' inch metal wheel with thicker tyres of 175/65 R14 for the sake of safety. Having bigger tyres would give the extra depth of tyre itself incase I would hit something like a curb if I'm sliding. Steel wheels would also be stronger.
My '18 Picanto X-Line comes from the factory in 16'' inch alloy wheels with 195/45R16 tyres.

Phoned the local Kia dealership to ask about the whole spec sheet of my wheels so I can reference and get the correct sizes. Of course, being the dealership they don't have a clue about their own wheel sizes they put on our cars so they could help me. What they could do however, was tell me that putting smaller wheels than from the factory can mess with the speedo as well as screw up the differential if the sizes are smaller, voiding the 7 year warranty.

Could this be true? Seems ridicious that there could be so many potential problems by simply changing the wheel size. Worst part, the wheel + tyre would still be the same size as stock 16''. Speedo would still have the same rotation to calculate. Why would something change?
You guys think there's any validity to what they're claiming?

Side note, is there a big difference between a 6,50Jx16 Steel wheel size vs 5,50Jx16? For reference, my alloy's are a 5,50J.

Super Moderator
If anything for snow you need narrow tyres. As it gives more pressure on the surface.

Just check out rally cars when driving on snow. Really narrow tyres. (y)

Far easier to put all season tyres on.

Registered
If anything for snow you need narrow tyres. As it gives more pressure on the surface.

Going back to late 1950s in the Monte Carlo Rally the fastest cars to reach the top of St. Gothard Pass in the thick snow were the Citroens with ultra-thin tyres, they left all the other Rally Cars standing.

Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
As winter's coming and first snow's already here, I wanted to get my first proper set of winter tyres for my Picanto.

The idea is to go with a smaller 14'' inch metal wheel with thicker tyres of 175/65 R14 for the sake of safety. Having bigger tyres would give the extra depth of tyre itself incase I would hit something like a curb if I'm sliding. Steel wheels would also be stronger.
My '18 Picanto X-Line comes from the factory in 16'' inch alloy wheels with 195/45R16 tyres.

Phoned the local Kia dealership to ask about the whole spec sheet of my wheels so I can reference and get the correct sizes. Of course, being the dealership they don't have a clue about their own wheel sizes they put on our cars so they could help me. What they could do however, was tell me that putting smaller wheels than from the factory can mess with the speedo as well as screw up the differential if the sizes are smaller, voiding the 7 year warranty.

Could this be true? Seems ridicious that there could be so many potential problems by simply changing the wheel size. Worst part, the wheel + tyre would still be the same size as stock 16''. Speedo would still have the same rotation to calculate. Why would something change?
You guys think there's any validity to what they're claiming?

Side note, is there a big difference between a 6,50Jx16 Steel wheel size vs 5,50Jx16? For reference, my alloy's are a 5,50J.
To answer your question regarding 6.5J v.5.5J wheels - yes there is a difference, the 6.5's are 1 unit wider than the 5.5's. Their diameters are the same (or very nearly so) which is the important thing. What does make a difference is the aspect ratio of the tyres, namely the ratio of the tread width to the sidewall "height". This can change everything.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Easier? Definetly. I just know I won't sleep well knowing I didn't go all the way. And anyways, can't go all the way since studded tyres are illegal.

To answer your question regarding 6.5J v.5.5J wheels - yes there is a difference, the 6.5's are 1 unit wider than the 5.5's. Their diameters are the same (or very nearly so) which is the important thing. What does make a difference is the aspect ratio of the tyres, namely the ratio of the tread width to the sidewall "height". This can change everything.....
Yes, the extra aspect ratio is what I want in a winter tyre. That's why I want to go with a smaller wheel itself, to 14'' to allow me space for a thicker tyre.

Still not getting this J factor. Is it just the wheel width measurement itself? Until I fully understand it, I'll assume it's also vital, so I'll stick to the same 5.5J as my current alloy wheels, just important that I have the same outer diameter with 14'' steel wheel + winter tyres as I had with my factory wheels and tyres.

Registered
See the Picanto Spec Sheet - Suspension and Tyres

The entry level Model 1 has 175/65/14 Tyres on Steel Wheels.
Higher Performance Models of some Cars sometimes have bigger Brakes that smaller Wheels won't fit over.
Your X-Line should be the same Drivetrain as the Model 1

Fitting 175/65/14 would make no noticeable difference to the Speedo
2mm difference in the Diameter. Far less than a new Tyre vs a worn one

My old Ceed had a Tyre inflation Label on the Door Shut that showed inflation values and full size info for the 15, 16 and 17" Wheels
Has the Picanto got one?

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
If fitting smaller wheels, make sure they clear the brake calipers

Best bet is to find some steel wheels from a "povert spec" model, as they would usually be a smaller diameter (sorry, i don't know Picanto specs at all)

Once you have the smaller wheels, and you are confident they will fot over the calipers (and are the correct hole pattern and offset), then use an online tyre size calculator to find the correct sized tyres to as closly match your existing setup, so as not to affect your speedo and handling to much

Registered
I just know I won't sleep well knowing I didn't go all the way.
Save yourself a load of aggravation and money - as previously suggested in post #2, fit all-season tyres all round. Unless you live high up in the Cairngorms or the Brecon Beacons, they will provide all the traction you'll ever need through our typical UK winters. If the roads are really bad, even AWD vehicles can suffer too.

There is ample video testimony on 'Youtube' describing just how good modern all-season tyres are compared to AWD on regular tyres, for example. The best are very close in performance to dedicated winter tyres but they last almost as long as regular 'summer' tyres.

What's not to like about that?

Super Moderator
Easier? Definetly. I just know I won't sleep well knowing I didn't go all the way. And anyways, can't go all the way since studded tyres are illegal.

Yes, the extra aspect ratio is what I want in a winter tyre. That's why I want to go with a smaller wheel itself, to 14'' to allow me space for a thicker tyre.
Why not just fit winter tyres on the std rims. In reality on a Picanto it's going to affect things much. If you really want to swop over for winter use one of the many tyre hotels (as Kwik Fit call theirs) or stash the summer ones in the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts