Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I had a recent service and was advised that I will soon need new front disks and pads on my GT Line S (petrol), the dealer wants £382 fitted. I am not up to doing the job myself but don't know if this is overpriced.

Suspect I need to shop around - any views

Martin

·
Registered
800 Posts
The first thing I would say is find a decent brake place and see what they say. Dealers seem overly keen on replacing consumables as they make money on them. You'll definitely save money going to a non-kia place and oem stuff isn't great to start with. Some people will pay double to have main dealers do the work, it's up to you really.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
318 Posts
Dad just fitted Brembo discs and pads to his Honda crv. 100 quid for 2 discs and 2 sets of pads. About an hours job for the diy'er.

Looking on eurocarparts eicher discs (no Brembo in stock) and Brembo pads with the bank holiday discount £105.22.

I'd shop around some independents that's if you're not confident to do the job yourself. Seems steep to me at £275 labour. They also may fit the cheaper discs and pads.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Eurocarparts for my 17 plate 2.0 Ltr diesel AWD. Currently have a 45% bank Holiday discount. They have more sales than SCS.
Front Pagid discs and pads £173.32
Rear Bosch discs and pagid pads £116.32 (No Pagid discs listed for non electric handbrake model)

I like Pagid as they come with a silver coating which holds back the rust for so long and look better behind alloys than rust. OEM fitment apparently on a lot of vehicles.

I tend to fine the rears show more signs of wear and tear than the front.

So on your quote £209 would be for labour. Presumably they are fitting genuine Kia Parts? An hour/hour and a half on a ramp all cleaned and lubricated properly. Bit on the pricey side I feel.

Ideally at 3 years the brakes front and rear require a good check clean and appropriate greasing as the wheels will not have been off the car from new. (Mileage dependent). Things tend to start gumming up and seizing with corrosion leading to loss in performance and premature wear. Call it preventative maintenence. This is not something sdealer servicing seems to undertake these days. The are guided by the pad wear or grinding as the pads have worn to metal.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
318 Posts
Eurocarparts for my 17 plate 2.0 Ltr diesel AWD. Currently have a 45% bank Holiday discount. They have more sales than SCS.
Front Pagid discs and pads £173.32
Rear Bosch discs and pagid pads £116.32 (No Pagid discs listed for non electric handbrake model)

I like Pagid as they come with a silver coating which holds back the rust for so long and look better behind alloys than rust. OEM fitment apparently on a lot of vehicles.

I tend to fine the rears show more signs of wear and tear than the front.

So on your quote £209 would be for labour. Presumably they are fitting genuine Kia Parts? An hour/hour and a half on a ramp all cleaned and lubricated properly. Bit on the pricey side I feel.

Ideally at 3 years the brakes front and rear require a good check clean and appropriate greasing as the wheels will not have been off the car from new. (Mileage dependent). Things tend to start gumming up and seizing with corrosion leading to loss in performance and premature wear. Call it preventative maintenence. This is not something sdealer servicing seems to undertake these days. The are guided by the pad wear or grinding as the pads have worn to metal.
I agree. If you look at labour rates, if its front and rear discs and pads. If you said 2 hours which. unless something is seized, is plenty of time to get the job done. £100 an hour is steep. But then it is dealership rates. Best bet is to get a quote from an indie garage. I usually like to get stuck in and do stuff myself if I can. But I agree, when mine are due I'll go to an independent local garage as this is the newest car I've ever owned, I wont risk doing the job poorly or breaking something.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would find a local Independent and ask for their opinion.
Sometimes Main Dealers are a bit too keen on Brake replacement.
However, they may not see you for another 1-2 Years or 20K Miles (depending on Service Schedule) by which Time your Brakes could be in a dangerous state.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
212 Posts
I would ask for a breakdown of parts and labour.
a decent garage should only take an hour to replace a pair of disks/pads (once the car is in the air).
as said you can get disks/pads supplied for less, but Kia will be quoting on their parts which may cost significantly more!
plus in my experience main dealers can charge around £100 an hour labour, whereas my local garage charges £50 (+vat)

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
476 Posts
I would find a local Independent and ask for their opinion.
Sometimes Main Dealers are a bit too keen on Brake replacement.
However, they may not see you for another 1-2 Years or 20K Miles (depending on Service Schedule) by which Time your Brakes could be in a dangerous state.
THIS exactly. I have lost count how many times over the years dealers have to tried to flog me overpriced brake or tyre replacement when there's absolutely LOADS of life left on the current parts.

They are targeted to "find" work on customer cars and get bonuses for additional sales.

Unless your car has done interstellar mileage, I'd be amazed if it actually needs disks....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
THIS exactly. I have lost count how many times over the years dealers have to tried to flog me overpriced brake or tyre replacement when there's absolutely LOADS of life left on the current parts.

They are targeted to "find" work on customer cars and get bonuses for additional sales.

Unless your car has done interstellar mileage, I'd be amazed if it actually needs disks....
I thought it was pricey and early, car has done about 22k from new, it is an auto so may be heavier on fronts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
476 Posts
Been running auto's for years now - never been heavier on brakes than a manual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought it was pricey and early, car has done about 22k from new, it is an auto so may be heavier on fronts
My DCT uses engine braking much more than any previous car I've owned - I was actually wondering if there would be less brake wear because of that...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts