Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,621 Posts
What age is your car?
A lot will depend on how any previous users have looked after the car and where they live.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its a known issue (although Kia won't tell you that). Can affect most models up until around 2014 iirc. Had it on my 2012 Venga. Had a new door under warranty at 6 years old.
I found this story to back my claim up (if needed) - https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/154688/watchdog-kia-in-rust-admission-on-six-year-old-venga
After doing some digging it seems that the actual problem is the design (best described as a "pinched" channel) holds water against the seal lip which inevitably starts to promote rust. I believe the solution was a seal design change.
Anecdotally it suggests that infrequent use of the affected door promotes the rust as it doesn't have chance to clear by the door being opened so just sits there and slowly rusts away
Where mine rusted was almost impossible to fix to Kia standards so they did me a new door. Out of warranty it might be possible to clean it up and stabilise the rust and then weld in a new piece of channel but it could be quicker and better to find a door in a scrap yard and just swap over (checking the scrappie doesn't have the same issue of course)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I had a feeling it's a design flaw but the door is fucked to be honest.

·
Registered
326 Posts
O/S/R Door was the one that had a lot of issues when new 2007 onwards with condensation along the top of the door frame and rubber seal. This is what happened on mine and new rubber seal was fitted but still have the issue, I took the seal off and sprayed waxoyl over the area.
You have to be careful when very cold as door seal freezes, happened once to me in Germany at -15c and couldn't open door until car warmed up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone has this problem ?

N/s/r door is crumbling to prices under the rubber..
Yes, I had the same on both rear doors of my 2010 Ceed Estate; earlier this year had the repairs done under warranty with no quibble at all. The dealer said it was a common issue on Ceeds of that age. An appointment was made and and the car taken away on a low loader. I had also pointed out a bit of rust on the tailgate below the rear wiper, but for whatever reason that wasn't done; I couldn't be bothered to chase this up

·
Registered
326 Posts
Are you still within the 10 year rust warranty? has ever body inspection been done and filled out In the service book?
Worth asking as it doesn't cost to ask but be surprised if Kia would jump to help as must be on the limit of warranty and it hasnt just happened as it takes years to rust.
Keep the post updated on how you get on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's. Good point. I've only just bought it and tbh I didn't notice it. I will look into it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
The affects my rear 2012 EcoDynamics passenger door top.

KIA refused because one of the rust inspections was missing...

To be fair, it's not the normal location that you'd be checking for rust, car was only 6 years old at the time.

I discussed this on the phone with KIA and they'd never heard of it.

I did explain to the girl on the end of the phone that her script might say that but a simple google search will say otherwise....that's how I found out about it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I very much have the feeling they won't be interested . I think the first four years of its life was Kia dealer servicing . The rest an independent garage so I doubt the corrosion check has been done. But . Let's be honest this is an obvious design fault so hopefully they will have some sort of acceptability. I will keep you all posted !

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just had a read of this article:

I might give KIA another call because this suggests it's an "inherent defect".

Supposedly they don't check anything other than "We asked Kia whether the bodywork inspection even includes looking under seals, and its spokeswoman confessed: “Body inspection only requires a physical examination of the sheet metal panel and underside of the vehicle.”

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers man.

I have spoken with Kia dealer who have acknowledged it's a known issue and sent them off some photos.

Keep you posted

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 2008 model which had a lot of miles on it at the time, but was within the 10 year rust period when I took it in. The rust was on both rear doors at the top but under the door seal rubber. I took it in and they checked the car had been fully serviced by Kia and had all the rust inspections done which it had. They also used a machine to measure something to do with the existing paint or were checking for crash damage. They replaced both doors with no problems what so ever, having said that the replacement doors are going in the same places again, but as I am closing on 300k miles what can I say.?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:. I sent some images in to the local dealer who didn't deny it's a known issue. Called me back an hour later to tell me it's not something that would be paid for . But I have an underside anti corrosion recall.. that's fucking helpful!. I have rang Kia customer services awaiting a call back currently.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a chat with KIA customer services today and advised that my car had been previously inspected and denied repairs two years ago (6 years old).

I said I was calling back as new information was now available with regards to Watchdog, their Engineers report and the inherent nature of the problem due to insufficient paint.

They advised calling the local dealer and I'll be taking the car in probably tomorrow.

When KIA CS call you back, make sure you let them know you are an "informed customer" and refer to the Watchdog information and the KIA U-turn regarding the Venga that was affected.

KIA UK has a habit of changing their tune when they are actually liable for the repairs - was the same routine with the Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Fiasco!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Don't forget - they will want to fob you off and make you go away.

Be polite and be persistent.

Quote the part about this as well:

"We asked Kia whether the bodywork inspection even includes looking under seals, and its spokeswoman confessed: “Body inspection only requires a physical examination of the sheet metal panel and underside of the vehicle.”

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spoke to them around 2 so I will give them until tomorrow . I'm not holding my breath.

I wil.keep you posted .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE:. KIA customer services have called this morning and admited it's a known issue . They are speaking to a local dealer to start the process rolling of good will.

However. Until it's sorted I won't hold my breath.

Cheers guys

1 - 20 of 67 Posts