Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice welcome. Just bought new Sportage 1.7Crdi and 'engine sticker' advises to use Shell Helix oil. Fine so far, but if car is fitted with a DPF I must use Helix Ultra Extra as this provides 'Excellent protection for Diesel Particulate Traps' whereas the standard 'Helix Ultra is not suitable for DPF engines'(Shell web site!). My dealer was unsure if the 1.7 has a DPF but thinks it has and Kia call it a CPF (Catylist Particulate Filter). Further, the dealer has filled the engine with Helix Ultra; even more confusing is that this oil meets ACEA C3 standard and should, therefore, be OK for engines with a DPF.
Anyone know a good therapist?
Anyone know if 1.7 has a DPF?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yes, the 1.7 has a DPF.

The reason that you need to use Shell Helix Ultra Extra is that it is specifically formulated as a low ash oil. This means that it won't clog up the DPF as quickly (if at all) as plain old Helix Extra.

Shell Helix Recommendations.

I feel your pain as I am looking for ten litres of the stuff myself. The best price I have seen is on eBay. It still nearly £80 though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Techno for your response. Tried to find cheaper oils to meet ACEA C3 specification and came up with :
Comma Syner-Z 5w-30
Fully synthetic 5w-30 oil suitable for high-performance petrol and diesel car engines. Ultimate low temperature performance to reduce start-up wear. Modern low-ash formulation suitable for the latest passenger cars including those with exhaust after-treatment units that require an ACEA C3 grade.
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 has been expertly engineered to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of Car Emission Reduction Systems in both diesel and gasoline powered automobiles. ACEA C2/C3; JASO DL-1
Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 Premium Fully Synthetic Engine Oil
It works harder than conventional motor oils to continuously prevent dirt and sludge build up while protecting sensitive exhaust gas treatment systems.
All about same price but it's useful to have a choice ...thanks again!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Castrol Edge is another option.

Halfords do an own brand fully synthetic low ash oil which is very cheap (comparatively) but, although I know it meets Mercedes and BMW standards, I'm not sure about KIA

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best price I can find is from Autosessive.com at £39.95 for 5ltrs of ultra extra WITH free delivery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THanks Techno, yes it seems Castrol Edge also meets the ACEA C3 requirements. I'll now 'shut up' about oil!

About Castrol EDGE 5W-30 fully synthetic engine oil
The technology in this oil also reduces long term blocking thereby prolonging the life of diesel particulate filter.

Specifications and Manufacturer Approvals VW 507 00ACEA C3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts