Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Booked the wife's Fabia in for a service with the local Skoda emporium yesterday. The car is 2 years old at the end of April and they quite happily booked it in for the 27th April.

If they cancel that appointment I would fully expect them to honour the warranty but since when have garages and manufacturers been honourable.

On the other hand if I am unable to take the car in for the obvious reason I guess that would be our issue.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi all

Thanks for your patience.

Whilst all showrooms are now closed, some service departments remain open. We’re trying to keep our ‘Find A Dealer’ page as up to date as possible so please check the availability of servicing dealers in your area - Find your Local Kia Dealer | Kia Motors UK

These open sites will prioritise essential repair work and vehicle testing to support frontline key workers. Routine servicing is not considered an essential repair therefore you should book your car in once Government advice changes.

If there is a valid warranty claim on your car and the latest scheduled service has been delayed during the period where the UK is under Government measures, we will honour valid warranty claims. Please note all other warranty Terms and Exclusions apply.

It's important you maintain your car regardless of servicing requirements. We recommend that you regularly check the following items:
  • Engine oil level
  • Coolant level
  • Windscreen washer fluid level
  • Tyre condition and pressures, including spare if fitted
  • Exterior lights
If your service is delayed, it's even more important that you regularly carry out the checks detailed above until the scheduled service is carried out, paying particular attention to the oil level. Should you require oil to top up your engine, please refer to the link below to ensure you obtain the correct oil for your car. It is very important that you use the correct oil for any required topping up.

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/Oil Chart V18.11.pdf

For those of you with Kia care plans, your plan will remain valid and cover the cost of your service regardless of when it's undertaken.

We hope this helps and please get in touch if you need anything else.

KCS

·
Registered
269 Posts
If there is a valid warranty claim on your car and the latest scheduled service has been delayed during the period where the UK is under Government measures, we will honour valid warranty claims.
Hmm, so for the avoidance of doubt, is this a pre-existing warranty claim or one that arises after a service has been delayed? Would I be better to change the oil and filter myself at the 10,000 mile interval, or run it over the mileage until KIA can do it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm pleased that Kia have made this concession. My local dealer have just closed for the duration.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hmm, so for the avoidance of doubt, is this a pre-existing warranty claim or one that arises after a service has been delayed? Would I be better to change the oil and filter myself at the 10,000 mile interval, or run it over the mileage until KIA can do it?
This applies to both ongoing warranty claims that have had to be pushed back and to future warranty claims (subject to the usual terms and conditions) where the only deviation in the servicing and maintenance has been delay during the COVID-19 lockdown.

As long as the oil level is sufficient, we don't recommend carrying out any oil / filter servicing because this needs to be done by a Kia dealer or other VAT registered garage to meet warranty requirements. Better to book the car in for servicing as soon as Government advice changes to allow non-essential work to commence.

KCS

·
Registered
269 Posts
This applies to both ongoing warranty claims that have had to be pushed back and to future warranty claims (subject to the usual terms and conditions) where the only deviation in the servicing and maintenance has been delay during the COVID-19 lockdown.

As long as the oil level is sufficient, we don't recommend carrying out any oil / filter servicing because this needs to be done by a Kia dealer or other VAT registered garage to meet warranty requirements. Better to book the car in for servicing as soon as Government advice changes to allow non-essential work to commence.

KCS
Thank you KCS, I thought it worth clarifying. I am fortunate I'm able to work from home so my mileage had suddenly stopped, but there will be those on here I'm sure that are still racking up the miles.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Walked past our local Kia dealer yesterday, sales and service both closed, site barricaded. They are a small one site family owned concern and its beyond me why they do not continue to trade within the government guidelines. With a forecourt of used stock which they presumably own or are paying interest on and no income how long can they survive.

As I commented above I booked the wifes car in at our local Skoda dealership on Tuesday this week for a service late in April. Checked their website yesterday and its states that they are following government guidelines and the sales dept is closed but they still have and will continue to have (staff permitting) the service dept operating. Priority is being given to their contracted vehicles for the ambulance service and other essential users (agree with that) plus worked booked in prior to the end of Tuesday will also be given priority. All other work will be carried out work load permitting.

They are also a family owned business that operates on 2 sites about 25 miles apart and their approach seems much more sensible and will surely encourage owner loyalty in years to come. Obviously if the rules change they will have to react and we may not get the service carried out they will still have to maintain the ambulance service vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
2,443 Posts
I think some smaller dealers, even if they have servicing. May take the option that even though they can stay open for servicing. It is simply not worth the problems Covid 19 is causing in terms of staff & customer safety.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My car was due some work in April but was only minor but can’t be sorted now due to current situation and garage closing down temporarily which i completely understand.

my mot and service was then booked in for June this year. I assume that if the garage has reopened before then, I will be able to have this done still. If not then I understand that Kia are honouring warranties etc if services are done late.

I have two queries around this though.
1. If service cannot be done at the usual service interval on June, what happens if once it’s reopened I cannot get car booked in until a little later in the year, whether that because they are unable to fit me in or if I can’t get there due to working etc? Will that then go against me for warranty reasons?

2. if service was completed in September for instance but usually should have been done yearly every June, would the next service still be required in June (for warranty reasons) or can the service and mot effectively both be done each year going forward in September for example as that would then be a full year from the time it was serviced before?
Thank you

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi all

Thanks for your patience.

Whilst all showrooms are now closed, some service departments remain open. We’re trying to keep our ‘Find A Dealer’ page as up to date as possible so please check the availability of servicing dealers in your area - Find your Local Kia Dealer | Kia Motors UK

These open sites will prioritise essential repair work and vehicle testing to support frontline key workers. Routine servicing is not considered an essential repair therefore you should book your car in once Government advice changes.

If there is a valid warranty claim on your car and the latest scheduled service has been delayed during the period where the UK is under Government measures, we will honour valid warranty claims. Please note all other warranty Terms and Exclusions apply.

It's important you maintain your car regardless of servicing requirements. We recommend that you regularly check the following items:
  • Engine oil level
  • Coolant level
  • Windscreen washer fluid level
  • Tyre condition and pressures, including spare if fitted
  • Exterior lights
If your service is delayed, it's even more important that you regularly carry out the checks detailed above until the scheduled service is carried out, paying particular attention to the oil level. Should you require oil to top up your engine, please refer to the link below to ensure you obtain the correct oil for your car. It is very important that you use the correct oil for any required topping up.

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/owners/service-maintenance/Oil Chart V18.11.pdf

For those of you with Kia care plans, your plan will remain valid and cover the cost of your service regardless of when it's undertaken.

We hope this helps and please get in touch if you need anything else.

KCS
Hello
Can I just ask concerning the oil maintenance chart & the viscosity rating.
I have a JA type 1.25 Picanto & the chart above says 0w-50 oil. However the KIA main dealer sold me a bottle of 5w-30 for topping up purposes as they said this was the correct oil for the car (i've not so far ever had to use it).
The car handbook makes mention of various grades including 0w-50 & 5w-30 (lots more are also mentioned).
My question is am I ok to use the 5w-30 oil I have if it requires the oil level topping up?
Many thanks

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My car was due some work in April but was only minor but can’t be sorted now due to current situation and garage closing down temporarily which i completely understand.

my mot and service was then booked in for June this year. I assume that if the garage has reopened before then, I will be able to have this done still. If not then I understand that Kia are honouring warranties etc if services are done late.

I have two queries around this though.
1. If service cannot be done at the usual service interval on June, what happens if once it’s reopened I cannot get car booked in until a little later in the year, whether that because they are unable to fit me in or if I can’t get there due to working etc? Will that then go against me for warranty reasons?

2. if service was completed in September for instance but usually should have been done yearly every June, would the next service still be required in June (for warranty reasons) or can the service and mot effectively both be done each year going forward in September for example as that would then be a full year from the time it was serviced before?
Thank you
Hi Daveyboy123

1. We understand there's going to be a period of longer lead times whilst workshops operate at full capacity to get our customers back on schedule. We'd just ask you to keep the June booking and if Government measures extend beyond that, to book in again as early as possible. You should find dates are offered quite far in advance at Book a Kia Service Online | Kia Motors UK

2. Going forward, your service due date will be 12 months from whenever you have this upcoming service, even if it is delayed (or at the mileage interval if you hit that first).

KCS

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hello
I have a JA type 1.25 Picanto & the chart above says 0w-50 oil. However the KIA main dealer sold me a bottle of 5w-30 for topping up purposes as they said this was the correct oil for the car (i've not so far ever had to use it).
The car handbook makes mention of various grades including 0w-50 & 5w-30 (lots more are also mentioned).
My question is am I ok to use the 5w-30 oil I have if it requires the oil level topping up?
Many thanks
Hi Kismet

Yes, 5W-30 is another viscosity that's fine for the 1.25 Picanto.

KCS

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Daveyboy123

1. We understand there's going to be a period of longer lead times whilst workshops operate at full capacity to get our customers back on schedule. We'd just ask you to keep the June booking and if Government measures extend beyond that, to book in again as early as possible. You should find dates are offered quite far in advance at Book a Kia Service Online | Kia Motors UK

2. Going forward, your service due date will be 12 months from whenever you have this upcoming service, even if it is delayed (or at the mileage interval if you hit that first).

KCS
thank you for your response. That’s fine Iwas going to keep the June date booked in so hopefully the car can be serviced as usual.

ok, so that’s good then so if car went in for mot and service in august for example (even though it should usually be June), then the next time it would need a service etc would be the following august?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hello
Many thanks
My car also shows the wrong oil viscosity etc on the Kia online chart. My manual as well as every website I’ve looked at states the oil for my car is 5w30 A5. However the chart shows my car should be using 0w30 C2 oil which is not correct (C2 oil is a low saps oil usually used with diesels due to DPF)

it would appear that some incorrect info may have gone in the online chart for some vehicles.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
thank you for your response. That’s fine Iwas going to keep the June date booked in so hopefully the car can be serviced as usual.

ok, so that’s good then so if car went in for mot and service in august for example (even though it should usually be June), then the next time it would need a service etc would be the following august?
Yes, you'd then be on an August schedule.

KCS

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My car also shows the wrong oil viscosity etc on the Kia online chart. My manual as well as every website I’ve looked at states the oil for my car is 5w30 A5. However the chart shows my car should be using 0w30 C2 oil which is not correct (C2 oil is a low saps oil usually used with diesels due to DPF)

it would appear that some incorrect info may have gone in the online chart for some vehicles.
Would you mind supplying your reg by PM so we can look into this?

KCS

21 - 38 of 38 Posts