Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My service and MOT is due in June. I'm a little concerned that my dealer will not be working due to Covid-19.

It's a minor service (no oil change) if that's relevant.

Can Kia CS tell me what flexibility there normally is regarding the service date? And given these exceptional times, can I plead that it made more flexible?

THanks!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi tigger

Thanks for the post.

There is usually no set flexibility in terms of mileage or time but this question has understandably been a common one this week. Our position on this is being worked on and we'll post here as soon as this is finalised.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manufacturer of my caravan have given a 4-month window. I'd love Kia to do similar.

I'll try to get it serviced on time, but that may not be easy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also what about MOTs? If MOT goes past the date then you aren’t allowed to drive on road until it’s done and passed are you? Like what tigger said above, we will try and service and mot on time. In fact my car is already booked in for its annual service and mot but if country is locked down and garages are forced to close then not sure what happens.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm less worried about the MOT. As long as the car is roadworthy, then the law regards a lack of MOT as an admin-type issue. There's a fine, but no points on your licence.

And before people start saying 'it invalidates your MOT', the ombudsman has ruled that insurance can be invalidated if the car is unroadworthy, but not for no MOT.

MOTs are under review at this difficult time. They've already been suspended for HGVs and PSVs. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-tests-and-mots-for-heavy-vehicles-suspended-for-up-to-3-months-to-help-tackle-spread-of-coronavirus

The short-term pain is that lack of an MOT means you can't renew your road tax. So I'm tempted to book the car in for an MOT anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My car is due for its first service by the 29th March and it's been booked in since last month for the 25th March and now we're told not to go out. My car has only done a couple of thousand miles and really doesn't need a service so what should I do Kia??? If leaving the service for a while means my 7 year warranty is affected this will be my third and last Kia

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just taken mine in for second service. Lone car supplied distancing all done lone car cleaned and wipes on all serfaces.
Staff did say they agreed that it was harsh but kc's are still saying dates have to be kept up to garentee 7 year warranty

·
Registered
110 Posts
My car is due for its first service by the 29th March and it's been booked in since last month for the 25th March and now we're told not to go out. My car has only done a couple of thousand miles and really doesn't need a service so what should I do Kia??? If leaving the service for a while means my 7 year warranty is affected this will be my third and last Kia
Fortunately my service was done a few weeks ago before the present situation but I have been included on the Dealers current emails and their working practices regarding the virus situation and they are offering to collect and return vehicles. Not sure if this is 'all dealers' or just the one that I visited.
Maybe worth contacting your dealership and seeing if this is a possibility. If they say no ask why not

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
The short-term pain is that lack of an MOT means you can't renew your road tax. So I'm tempted to book the car in for an MOT anyway.
I thought that they updated the systems a couple of years ago and now it does not check for a valid MOT. Could be wrong though...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I thought that they updated the systems a couple of years ago and now it does not check for a valid MOT. Could be wrong though...
Afraid you are incorrect.

My car was 3 years old on the 1st of March and on the tax reminder it clearly stated that to tax the car it "must have an MOT valid on the date the tax starts".

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
Yes. It has to have a valid MOT, but does the online tax system actually check that one is in place? If you go to the PO to tax, they can't ask for MOT cert as we do not get one now.

This link Is what i was thinking about.
Not sure if it was implemented though.

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you go to the PO to tax, they can't ask for MOT cert as we do not get one now.
Wrong again.

On the tax reminder under the section "Tax at a Post Office branch" it says "an MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one) valid on the date the vehicle tax starts".

With regards to not getting a MOT certificate now when my car was MOT'd on the 2th February this years I was given an MOT test certificate showing all the details of the car vand test date etc. The only difference is todays certificates are not on special paper that is embossed with the testers stamp, its simply an A4 print. Got exactly the same last year as well. If your MOT station are not giving you one they surely need reporting to the DVSA.

·
Super Moderator
3,168 Posts
You can check tax and MOT dates etc online at DVLA.

I'm lucky as my last two cars were bought mid-month so I'm able to re-tax at the start of the last month.
Got a service booked on 1st April in Cardiff. Just hope I don't go down with cv before then or I'll have to switch to Newport and have it collected from home!

Later
My service has been brought forward a week and is today (25 March).

(Garage is closing for 3 weeks soon.)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The government have just announced that vehicle owners will be granted a 6-month exemption from MOT testing.

Come on, Kia - PLEASE give us a similar flexibility on servicing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The report that I have seen attributed to the Secretary of State for Transport says that the six month extension is for MOTs due from 30th March. What about those due between now and that date; what about those already due but unable to be done as the owners are self isolating etc? A welcome development but needs more thought.

I agree. we need to see a similar but better thought out announcement from KIA regarding servicing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found out a little more on how it will work ...

"Due to the unfolding COVID-19 situation, cars and vans and motorcycles due their MOT from 30 March 2020 will have their MOT extended by 6 months.

This will continue until confirmed otherwise.

This will allow vehicle owners to continue to be able to get to work where this absolutely cannot be done from home or do essential shopping.

Vehicles must be kept in a roadworthy condition and drivers can be prosecuted if they drive an unsafe vehicle."

Yes, a little unfortunate for people who have an MOT just expired or due to expire before the 30th. It's almost certainly because to do otherwise would require much more complex legislation.

But ... if you are in that position, remember that not having an MOT is a fine and no points. And I cannot see a magistrate being an arse about it. As long as the car is roadworthy.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mazda have just announced about the shutdown: "This will not impact your warranty if scheduled maintenance is completed when the country is back to normal, but additional mileage must not exceed 1,875 miles over normal scheduled servicing."

This sounds very fair.

Mazda are even allowing PCP owners to extend their contract by three months for free.

Come on Kia. One of your big selling points is your warranty. Please help us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mazda have just announced about the shutdown: "This will not impact your warranty if scheduled maintenance is completed when the country is back to normal, but additional mileage must not exceed 1,875 miles over normal scheduled servicing."

This sounds very fair.

Mazda are even allowing PCP owners to extend their contract by three months for free.

Come on Kia. One of your big selling points is your warranty. Please help us.
I like Mazda's ... maybe they'll be in front of Kia when my next car is due.

Thanks to Kia, I still had to take my car in for its first service yesterday if I wanted to keep my warranty and it made me feel very uncomfortable

1 - 20 of 38 Posts