Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Sportage facts and figures seem really impressive.
If you've actually managed to get one, how does your MPG compare to the hype?????

If your not embarassed, how long did you have to wait for it??????

·
Registered
69 Posts
2ltr Diesel AWD36mpg normal, around an about town. 43mpg taking it easy on a run, 70mph there abouts.

I was lucky,got an FE immediately after reading a posting from Paul at Viking.
The embarrassed (and very unfortunate)can be found along with their tales ofwoe by checking out the posting with the most replies and hit's.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Waiting time must depend on which model you want as there seems to be new ones for sale in garages in my area.Got my kx2 in right colour off the shelf 7 days from seeing the car to having it and didnt have to order it.As for mpg knock about 20% off manufacturers figures and you will be about right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MPG now at 30.2 2L AWD Diesel, based on pretty much daily drives of 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a day - not ideal considering we now got 4k on the clock, I'm hoping with a few more miles on the clock and warmer weather this will pick up. Got FE when they were first released, deal over the phone, poicked up 4 days later!

·
Registered
70 Posts
36mpg sounds about right in day to day use (2L AWD FE). I popped over the 9k miles mark last night and to be honest although the first few tanks were relatively bad, I haven't noticed a great improvement between 2k and 9k miles. I think the "it will improve with mileage" thing is a red herring. 47mpg, I don't think so.

That said, you never know, it's still got the same oil in it that it came out of the factory with. Maybe after the first service things will improve (fingers crossed - cost me £72 to fill her up this morning and only got 350 miles out of that!!!!)

Jules

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was slightly swayed by 47mpg but the truth of the matter is 30 - 32 running about locally.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2.0 AWD FE trip computer says 35 mpg. Just passed 3250 miles mainly around town, plus daily short 10 min dual carriagway journeysandthe oddlonger motorway drives. Like to think this will get better.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Got my FE at end of september I had a choice of 4, its done just under 4000 mls and is showing and average of 39.2 from new which is a good mix of motorway ( @ 70+), a roads and 3mile each way to work in the town and I dont hang about either ( only in town when i dont get a choice with lights every 600 yards . ) by the way I dont know if it makes much difference but I had the tyres inflated with Nitrogen at costco its free to members, also i noticed on delivery the tyre pressures were set at 36psi which is in-between the inflation pressures on the plate on the door post so I had them put at that with the nitrogen as well. I dont know if this makes much difference to the mpg though
Edited by: kiaman

·
Registered
95 Posts
35MPG here with 2.0 diesel FE.

On long motorway runs I can get 40, but realistically around town/stop and starting your looking at 30.

Note I dont drive like I'm dead by the way!.

Slim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my 1.7 3s/n model on tues 15th feb, only took a few weeks from ordering. (Chapelhouse in St Helens.) I feel really lucky to get mine so quick and I feel for anyone ordering a 2.0 having to wait months,

Made up with it so far I've only done a few trips St Helens to Manchester on the M62 and its averaging 45mpg compared to the advertised 52. Doesn't make much difference doing 60 or 70 on the motorway, whereas my previous car's mpg would plummet every few mph above 60.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Being sceptical about manufacturers figures I was interested to read Auto Express issue 1152 of road test of Sportage/Freelander/BMW X1.If the results are correct the difference between manufacturers mpg/co2 and Auto Express figures are eyewatering .

·
Registered
197 Posts
john123 said:
Being sceptical about manufacturers figures I was interested to read Auto Express issue 1152 of road test of Sportage/Freelander/BMW X1.If the results are correct the difference between manufacturers mpg/co2 and Auto Express figures are eyewatering .

I think the system for assessing fuel consumption is flawed and leads to unrealistic expectations. However, it's not the manufacturers fault as they don't do the assessments - these are done by (in the UK) the VCA - see carfueldata.org.uk. Even the VCA admits the figures do not reflect real life and are best used as a relative comparison between models.

I also expect some of us are confused by the old system which gave consumption figures at 56 & 75 MPH - quite useful if you use motorways a lot - but this is not the same as the extra-urban test which is explained as:

This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).

This test takes 400 seconds(!) and the time spent at 75 MPH is just a few seconds - who drives like that? I'm also not sure how many car purchasers are aware that the tests are carried on a rolling road (a factor is used for wind resistance) and in temperatures on 20 - 30 C.
So in summary, the sticker figures are produced by a government dept in a lab to a European spec and do not represent real life but are (marginally) useful as a tool to see the relative consumption between different models of cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1.6 petrol. I got mine in less than an hour from testing it. I mainly use motorways and I am averaging 42mpg, just below the quoted figures

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having waited 4 months for my Sportage 3 Sat Nav, I've had it a month now and done 1600 miles and am getting 52mpg currently. Not quite upto the maximum 60mpg but I'm not taking it slowly - usually driving at the legal limit - although I have noticed that if I keep it a 65mph then I can increase the mpg, but at 70mph it starts to decrees

·
Registered
38 Posts
just turned 3000 in my 2ltr awd fe brought sept 23 2010 found it to be supping a rate of 36 to 37 to the gal didnt think that was to bad ,decided to try a test drive of my own and drive as gentle as a hairy assed trucker can ,fill to the rim at tesco huntingdon drove to coventry my folks place on the keresley road 86.3 miles a14 m6 j3 a444 kept my speed dead on all leagal limits same on the return trip back to tesco huntingdon and refilled to the rim cost me £14.05 at £1.26 a ltr come on tell me what was the mpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
you sure on that john thats 172.6 miles round trip the needle didnt move from the full mark the whole trip if thats 35odd to the gal thats not all that good for a oil burner is it

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thought you meant 86 miles round trip.£14.05 divide by £1.26 per litre=2.45galls.172 miles divide by 2.45=70 mpg!.are you sure you filled it right up seems a lot to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts