Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the console centre cover (the panel which contains the ESP switch and power socket from my 10/11 Rio?

The hole where there used to be a cigar lighter on earlier versions of the car has a blanking plug in mine and I'd like to put a lighter socket in there so as to give me an additional outlet.

The manual just says "after disconnecting the centre cover, remove the connector" which isn't very helpful. It looks like it's got snap lugs around the edges.

Do I just put a flat bladed tool under the edge and lever it out, or is there a knack to this?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, it seems like none of you folks know how to do this, so I asked my dealer. He didn't know either 'cos he's never done it, but told me that removing the whole centre console (the bit below the heater controls back to the cup holders) is so easy that he'd do that and then take the ESP/lighter/socket panel off from behind. He also warned me that if one securing clip would do then Kia use about 5 and that you need to be careful not to break them off!

So here's what I did:

1) remove the two trim securing studs from the driver's side next to the foot rest and the one from the passenger side (Phillips screw driver)

2) lift out the mat at the bottom of the rearmost cup holder and undo the bolt (10mm socket spanner)

3) unzip the gear stick gaiter

4) lift the rear of the console so that you can get a finger under the trim strip in front of the hand brake and remove it carefully

5) lift the rear of the console a bit more and pull the whole thing backwards - look out for the wires on the ESP switch and the USB socket, which are a bit short and so you need to undo the connectors on the back of them as soon as you can

6) in my case, the trim around the gear lever popped out at this stage, making things a lot easier

7) continue to pull the console back and up until you can get your fingers into the back of the ESP switch panel and release the clips from behind.

8) the blanking plug for the cigar lighter hole has clips on it, which mean that you've got to get at the back to remove it, it would never be possible to ectract it from the front

9) I replaced the bulk of the centre console and left the ESP panel out until I sourced a suitable power socket. Needless to say, the diameter of the hole in the panel is smaller than standard, so it has to be an OEM Kia one!

10) by the way, they've taken away the wiring to the cigarette lighter, so you'll need to make up your own extension from the power socket with suitable grade cable and 1/4" Lucar spade connectors

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.