Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Can anyone clear up a few things (can't get a proper test drive of a 1.7 3 arranged before January, it seems)? Hopefully, if I order one it'll turn up before the warranty expires.

Is the steering vague and/or hard to maintain in a straight line, per several reviews? Don't like the sound of either.

Is the audio system voice-activated or just the bluetooth? I've seen the UVO demo on YouTube but don't see any mention of this in UK spec/brochure/website.

Are the 18 inch wheels noisey (would prefer the 3 spec with 17 inch - how are they)?

Anyone find the 1.7 lacking power, as has been suggested in another review?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
People talk of light steering on this forum. I also drive a mini cooper so from one extreme to another.
In a nutshell there's nothing to be overly concerned about. Unless there's actually a problem car being discussed on the forum. My FE drives in a straight line.

Blue tooth voice activation, not the audio system though on my UK model (Unless I've missed a trick)

The 18inch rim is quiet enough but then I'm comparing with a run-flats on the mini. The 17's give you more rubber between the rim and the road so it would probably be a fractionally softer ride but the 18inch wheels aren't exactly low profile. you would need bat like hearing to notice the difference and find a bit of road smooth enough.

1.7 powerful enough? that would be down to you to try out and what you're happy to live with.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the prompt response. Regarding engine power - agree it's a personal thing. I'm not a speed merchant so not overly concerned but did see acouple reviews suggesting it labours on overtaking. The reviewers may drive sports cars the rest of the time, of course. Everything is relative.

·
Registered
95 Posts
re steering. My FE does have a slight issue with steering. To explain it, you dont actually notice it unless
you go looking for it, then you realise that you tend to correct the sterrig wheel a little too much.

It doesnt vere one way or another or anything silly, it just drifts ever so slightly to one side and if you correct it as you would (just a little nudge with the wheel) then it just seems difficult to get it going completly in a straight line.

I'll ultimatley be taking mine to the dealers to have a look at, but I've had the car 2 + months now and it's not bothering me that much. I drive 2+ hours a day so if it was gonna bother anyone it would be me.

Other than that the car is fantastic.

Slim

·
Registered
140 Posts
3500 miles on my FE at the moment.
No issues with steering at all - Bluetooth is voice activation on phone only - 18 inch wheels are not noticeably loud - One of the best value vehicles on the road.

Will be out in the snow this morning !!

·
Registered
453 Posts
No issues with my FE and very impressed with AWD in the snow and ice, my works car park was like an ice rink i had trouble walking on it but the car had no probs could not even feel any wheel spin starting off on a gradient, Fantastic

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi "MaybeKia,"I've had my FE since end of Sept- just over 2k on the clock-everything good and I'm looking forward to trying her in the snow today here in Belfast. I'm on the motorway most days and haven't noticed the drift of the car although today I'll look for it but it can't be obvious otherwise I would have noticed it by now. This car is very nice and compares favourably with my last car which was a brand new Volkswagen Passat CC but the Kia has AWD of course and my middle of the range Volks didn't but you can get 4wd in it but must spend 30k+. Anyway so far my FE works well-road noise minimal at high speed and as for overtaking power I have no diffs and I like the acceleration in 3rd gear especially-now its not 200bhp but its very close to my volks(140bhp). Voice activated bluetooth ok most of the time although I think my crappy mobile isn't working as it should-I know it works very well with the iphone. I really like the light steering and as for it being "vague," well it turns accurately enough in which ever direction I want to go and turning the wheel is effortless-my wife would love it but says she'd be too scared to drive such a big vehicle. You really have to drive the car yourself to understand how well this car drives and most of the reviews have been favourable. Hope you decide to buy MaybeKia and enjoy a super car Cheers Johnathan(Belfast)

·
Registered
70 Posts
re the steering issue, I have to say on UK roads you don't really notice it... there are too many turns in the roads - but driving through france and italy there are more dead-straight smooth motorways, then you really do feel it. I've tried before but as audioslim says it's just hard to drive straight. To me it feels like there is no such thing as "dead ahead" in the steering. It's either going just to the left or just to the right - but ever such a tiny amount. It feels like every 200m or so I have to switch from steering left to steering right. Hopefully Kia will come up with a fix soon...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello the forum

I only have a 2001 model which has 165000km on it at the moment.

I find it easy to drive and steers with a very light hand. It can be sensitive to a side wind and road camber with the tyres I have on at the moment, Japanese Falkens. They allow the Sportage to go round roundabouts
quickly though holding road with a good body tilt. I have had car for a year now and I have been very impressed doing 30K km in that time.

AWD works fine after replacing vacuum hoses.

Motor has been 100% reliable.

Drive train very quiet.

Regards
AWW

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just thought I'd bring this one back to provide an update. I'm no longer a "Maybe" - picked up my 1.7 SatNav a couple of days ago and very happy with it. To answer my own questions -

Is the steering vague and/or hard to maintain in a straight line, per several reviews? Don't like the sound of either. I can understand the "vague" criticism but it doesn't bother me. The "magnetnetic" pull of the wheel became noticeable at one point but there's usually enough distraction from traffic etc to take my mind off it. A three hour motorway trip didn't give me a problem (my first experience of cruise control helped, too.)

Is the audio system voice-activated or just the bluetooth? I've seen the UVO demo on YouTube but don't see any mention of this in UK spec/brochure/website. Can't seem to get it to take instructions for telephony but, contrary to the answer given above (which may haverelated to a FE), I can control audio(radio/CD/iPod) by voice commands. The Owner's Manual isn't the most helpful, though.

Are the 18 inch wheels noisey (would prefer the 3 spec with 17 inch - how are they)? Yes, they are a bit but I can shout at the car to play me something louder on the iPod!! I think the 18" wheels are part of the "concept" look and it's not the same car, visually, without them - apologies to those with 16" or 17". Looks over practicality = midlife crisis.

Anyone find the 1.7 lacking power, as has been suggested in another review? Happy with the power on this car. Able to accelerate to overtake while remaining in sixth gear. Steep climbs not a problem.

Hope this helps others out there.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks - always nice to get updates. Given the problems with 2 litre CRDi engine production, I'm a bit surprised that Kia haven't made a 4x4 1.7....it would interest me and there seems to be plenty of power and low down torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts