Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just noticed the other day that there is water in my rear passenger tail light. A little puddle of water has formed in the crevice where the brake light is. You can see there is a little trickle of water leading down and it looks like there is water coming in from the top of the light.
I went to my Kia garage about the problem and they told me it is only condensation caused because one bulb in the tail light is hotter than the other.

Apparently a bulletin has been passed around all Kia garages explaining the problem but my garage conveniently 'lost' it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks all
x

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but...
Just discovered water in the offside tail-light. Not just condensation, but a good 15mm deep puddle in the tail/brake compartment, and condensation elsewhere. SERIOUSLY UNIMPRESSED. have had to drill a wee hole in the side of the assembly to let the water out. This is the 21st century FFS, Kia, you need to get your feckin act together. This kind of thing is not acceptable in a modern vehicle. Never had this in ANY other car. Looking likely to be my one and only KIA.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Probably a faulty seal - did you check the seal around the light cluster?
Drilling a hole seems a bit drastic, why not remove the cluster and empty it that way, then you could inspect the seal at the same time - too late now though. Talk about shooting from the hip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, I should have removed the light cluster you think. Well, possibly, but having examined the access into the mounting bolts through the porthole briefly (as it was raining at the time) I decided that popping a wee 0.5mm hole in the bottom corner of the side of the cluster was a slightly easier option than possibly having to remove a load of interior trim to get to one of the bolts. and it did get the water out.
The only reason I spotted this was due to the non-functioning indicator in same cluster. when I removed the bulb, it was fine. I have had to 'manipulate' the wiring on the connector/bulb mount to get it to make the circuit. I suspect that the wire may be broken, or the crimp connection in the bulb mount not gripping the conductor properly.
As for thunderbird's opinion. Well my friend, if you think that that IS acceptable... And is it acceptable to have oily blue smoke when you cold start of a morning (or evening after work)? Is it acceptable for a car to continually pull to the left, despite having had the tracking checked and adjusted twice? Is it acceptable for a brake pedal/master cylinder to groan like a demented goat when you press it the first couple of times? Is it acceptable to have to be constantly adjusting the height of the driver's seat because it keeps drifting down. Is it acceptable for the volume control/on switch on the radio to stop working if the interior of the car is really hot in the summer? Is it really acceptable for the manual for the car to actually state that condensation in the headlights is normal?
Shame really, because despite all that the Cee'd IS a decent car.Spacious, reasonably well equipped, quick enough (1.6crdi). But given the apparent production/quality control issues, my current experience does not endear me to the thought of purchasing another. And that IS the first car I've ever felt that way about (it's my 11th car in 32 years).
I do believe that I am entitled to that opinion, as you are to yours.

Vid of tail-light! [TUBE]http://youtu.be/uvku6ZnnlfA[/TUBE]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update:
I haven't had any real problems with the dealer I take the car to, and I've only owned it for a year. It's just the hassle and inconvenience that bugs me.
It means taking time off work to drop the car off while they 'investigate' then more time off to collect the car/ return courtesy car. Then repeat the process again once they've agreed that it IS a warranty issue &/or ordered the parts. Anyhoo, due for a service in the next few weeks, so they can have a bloody good look at it then.

Had another wee look at it today, as it wasn't raining. I do believe I've figured out where and how the water is getting in. If you look at the rear of the cluster, there is a matrix of little holes, on the outermost inside face, adjacent to the tail/brake light, presumably to allow the cluster to 'breathe'. When I had a little feel down the bottom of the space between the cluster and the bodywork, around the access to the lamps, lo and behold, a puddle of water! And on inspecting the nearside, same again!
Clearly the water is getting past the seals between the clusters and bodywork, and when it builds up enough it gets in via those 'breather' holes. Have mopped out the water and left the interior trim covers off to promote a little bit more air circulation. I even managed to tighten the mounting nuts a bit (1/4 - 1/2 a turn). I'll keep an eye on it over the next week or so.
I'd invite anyone with a 1st generation Cee'd to repeat this check. I wasn't too shocked to find the water at the offside, since that's the one that had water in it, but was disconcerted to find it at the nearside. And we all know what little puddles of water in bodywork cavities turn into eventually...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a quick look and I dont see the holes you mention. Could you post a pic in case Im looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay, I'm not getting the picture to load so here's a link...

http://twitpic.com/84tapv

The holes are quite clearly visible to the left of the tail/brake lamp connector, water had built up in the recess below that point. It doesn't look like it would get in that way, looking at the photo, but that's taken from above the level of the bottom lip, which IS above the lower holes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts