Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I am concidering buying a Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDI, Im a bit confused over the LG, GS & S models, some say the economy is 60.1mpg others say 62.7, I am aware the 113hp would prob be the 60.1mpg but I still see the other 2 models advertised with both figures ?

I currently own a 2000 model VW passat and average 50-51mpg as 85-90 % of my driving is motor way, my passat hasn't even been serviced for 15k to 20k.

I am worried about reading some of these posts from people saying they are not getting the MPG the car should be, the car Im looking at is a 2008 Ceed hatch 1.6 S manual with 21,000 on the clock.

Should I still concider buying this for the better economy ? or drive the passat into the ground

cheers

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Kojack

Welcome to the forum. Got a Ceed 3 SW CRDi (MY11) thus know sod all about the specs of earlier models but someone will be along to enlighten you.

As with all cars you will never get the MPG the official figures suggested, remember that these are not Kia figures, the tests are carried out by some central agency.

If you use the car predominantly on the motorway you should beat 50mpg but nothing can be gauranteed. My car is still new and tight (3300 miles) but on a commute (19 miles each way) of which 12 miles are on the M1 it does about 52mpg. The SWis heavier than the hatch but being new it does have the 6 speed box.

Had a 96 G o l f TDi many years ago, on a holiday run it would average 60mpg, brilliant but it was only 90bhp and smoked like a lab Beagle. Later found out the odometer was 5% over reading which brought the average down to 57mpg, still better than I expect to get with the Ceed.

Basically if you expect to recoup your purchase costs with a reduction in fuel costs forget it, keep the Passat. If you want a newer car with potentially slightly better economy go for it.

Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Paul thanks for the reply, I am sort of looking to buy a car with 60+mpg and would feel let down if I didn't achieve this, however £30 tax per year is still cheaper than £200.
I do drive the passat at around 65mph & only reaching 70 to pass another car, would prob drive a Kia ceed the same if it got me 60+mpg.

cheers

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Driving at 65 mph will get you better economy but would doubt you will see 60+ out of a Ceed, our old 1.6 TDCi Focus never bettered 57mpg with a following wind. My other car is a BMW 118d, official average is 63, normally get 47ish but been to Reditch today, 160 mile round trip, virtually all motorway and it probably managed 55 at best. That to me is very good for a 2 litre with 143bhp crusing at 70mph on the GPSbut poor if you expect to match the official figures which I don't.

If you want 60+mpg you will have to buy a small turbo diesel car, Fiesta size, with a 1.4 max TD engine, you may justdo it then. But you won't have the space, comfort, equipmentor 7 year warranty. Big change from a Passat size car.

Just remember that my old G o l f had none of the modern emission or safety kit to weigh it down and that would only do 60mpg if you believed the lying odometer. You Passat will be featherweight compared to a new one thus will be better than a current model.

If you want poor economy from a diesel get a Mk 3 Mondeo TDCi 128ps 2 litre. Averaged 36mpg on a weekly tank up, could get it up to 50 (just) on a 430 mile run to Scotland. Very comfy though.

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ive seen my 1.6CRDi LS do as high as 56MPG on mixed driving over the course of a tankful and as low as 49MPG on stop-start journeys in the winter.
If you look at the combined figure thats the one you'd most likley to get, if you drive like me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I fell for a very nice 08 Ceed1.6 CRDI Tempest Grey love the colour, had to travel 155 miles to get it and averaged 57.3mpg on the meter on the way home and In my first week have averaged 56.5 combined is that O'k ? any way sol far I love it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
MY11 cee'd SW "2" Eco (89bhp):

Worst economy was 38mpg in the snow - hardly surprising it's low.

Refuelled today after 186 miles and the tank took 15.03 litres, 56mpg. Car was reporting 59.5mpg so well within the emasurement error of me filling to brim.

Last week car indicated an average of 64.2mpg on the run from Oldham to mid-Wales (113 miles, 2 hours, motorway & A-road) so in my opinion more like 60mpg.

Economy is never bad, often a little disappointing, but sometimes incredibly good. Air temperature seems to have a great deal to do with it.

Also, DPF regeneration cycles (MY11 onward diesels only) drop the mpg from 60 to 36; I saw it happen on a run up the A483. Regeneration cycle finished after 25 minutes and mpg jumped back up from 36 to 60.

Economy best at about 55mph in my experience, 70+ and it drops off considerably. Thus A-roads better for economy than motorways.

Other than in snow I've NEVER had an average mpg lower than 50, including motorways, fast twisty, hilly country roads.

For economy the cee'd is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ED209

Your experiences are virtually the same as mine but our car is aCeed SW 3 CRDI 115hp, your economy is obviously better as it should be. The last tank gave 53mpg ish, this one is showing about 50.5mpg but the computer on ours is virtually spot on, it may even under read by 0.5mpg. I agree that air temp appears to make a difference but that has been the case with most diesels we have owned, definitely affects it more than on petrols.
During the 2 weeks of the bad snows the economy dropped to 40 mpg but other than that it has always bettered 46 mpg.

Our car is a MY11 with a DPF and your experience again is virtually the same as ours. I think that the mpg during a regen drops to about 35mpg but they normally only last about 15 to 20 minutes max. I find that reducing your speed to say 60mphduring a regen (if you spot it happening) actually speeds up the process and wastes less fuel, bizzarre I know but I have tried it both ways and I am now convinced its true.

Regens on ours appear to happen at 300 mile intervals regardless of use, does yours do this. Kia tell me that regens should happen every 400 to 600 kms, 300 miles is in the middle of this range.

The frequency of the regens is the only thing that annoys me about the car. We have a BMW 118D with DPF, had it for 3 years now. In that time I can honestly say I have only spotted one regen, that was 2 weeks ago, car smelt hot when I got home and the exhaust tailpipe was too hot to touch.

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
suttonseven said:
Regens on ours appear to happen at 300 mile intervals regardless of use, does yours do this.
It's hard to be certain, but it seems about the same as what I'm seeing - about twice a tankful the DPF regeneration kicks in and ruins (well, alright, reduces) my overall mpg.
The mpg is fantastic when not in a DPF cycle, but the real average for the car is brought down somewhat by the DPF.

·
Registered
94 Posts
DPF's were introduced to reduce or remove the particulates emitted by diesel engines, that are far more harmful to out health than the CO2 emissions, but until now CO2 has been considered the important one because of Climate Change implications. But in congested towns and cities you can taste the diesel fumes these days particularly if you are walking around.

Having said all of that when a DPF is going through a regeneration phase the black smoke that comes out the back of some cars must surely put most of those particulates back into the atmosphere or is the idea that it will only re-generate at a certain speed and above and therefore be more likely to be in a rural area?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Eric
Regens do not produce black smoke, the temperature of the regen which is above 600C is designed to bun off the soot not produce more. In my BMW handbook it warns that white smoke may actually be produced during a regen.

A regen is more likely to occur out of town since a number of conditions need to be met one of which is a constant engine speed above about 1600rpm. The suggestion made by several people on here that you need rev the nuts off the engine to clear the DPFis total nonsense, gas speed will not blow out the soot since it is chemically attached to the DPF matrix until it is burned off.

As far as I am concerened I would not want to go back to the old days of G o l f TDi's like we had in the 90's, they were embarasing even then, smoked like a laboratory Beagle.

Paul

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Eric

Compulsary DPF is only required on EU5 vehicles but certain countries haverequired them longer than the UK. I believe in the UK most manufacturers only fitted them for EU4 if the car would not pass the tests without them. It was legal to register EU4 vehicles up to the 31 December 2010 and many of those did not have DPF in the UK. Because of the rule there were some strange combinations,a couple of examplesare Focus 1.6TDCi had DPF yet2.0TDCI did not, Mondeo 1.8TDCI (with ancient all iron engine) no DPF yet 2.0TDCI (same engine asFocus above)had one, I know this because I looked at them before buying the Ceed. Because of this you will see some very new diesel cars smoking but you "should" not see an EU5vehicle smoking.

Consider that there are probably many EU4 vehicles that were pre-registered 31 Dec still looking for owners.

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.