Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Compact & Standard Gen5 Navigation Update Out 30 May (not Gen5w)

34K views 251 replies 39 participants last post by  mr.macspot 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Did you have the speed limit issues with November 2021 update? If so could you please confirm that the speed limit issue is gone with May 2022 update?

#16 ·
Need to go into a car park & see if it drops out in there & how long it takes to pick up limit once out of the car park. That is still a bit of a issue on the Gen5W.

Do we still see "Go straight on" when on a navigated route when going passed a layby?

#17 ·
Been a while since I updated last but when preparing sd card, do I need to delete all files from it first or do a format etc or even if there was stuff on it before and I choose copy to sd card, will that erase everything and copy new files over? I checked the update guide but couldn’t see anything on there about this part of the process and can’t remember what I did last time.

anyone that’s updated so far, does it look like the bugs have gone from the previous software? Anyone know if live traffic works better now and gives option of new route whilst driving (or still directs you into traffic jams?)

#24 ·
Let the Kia Update APP format the card. That way you are sure it is in the correct format. That will delete ALL files that are on the card.
So better not to use the card that is in. Just in case.

#18 ·
And it came to pass on 30 May 2022. A great download appeared from the Kia Cloud. Gen5 Owners were rapturous to be anointed with deliverance from all the travails they had suffered. A new update which corrected speed limits and other terrible dilemmas, made them happy and rejoice in the Great Kia above!

Wow and wow again - so far so good!

Thank you Kia;)

#22 ·
Well, I've just successfully installed the MY17CompactGen5 update and I've just done a quick 5-mile local test run including different speed limits and speed cameras.

I'm pleased to say the Speed limit indicator is now working :)

Other things I've noted are the en-route traffic alerts seem to be more available from the start, but I've no idea yet how well they will be presented during the journey.

There's a font-size button that should help my minor short-sightedness (may have been there before).

The voice sounds clearer with more realistic pronunciations.

The maps also appear to be more clearly presented.

A minor niggle is when connecting my iphone for the traffic alerts etc I still have to wait for confirmation that I have a live connection. I seem to remember the add speed camera button (now missing) quickly showed this on the pre-November 21 version. It is just a minor niggle though.

I'm sure there will be many more features I have missed but I'm quite happy with the update.

I trust the remaining Gen 5 June updates reported earlier will reflect my initial experience :)

#39 ·
A minor niggle is when connecting my iphone for the traffic alerts etc I still have to wait for confirmation that I have a live connection. I seem to remember the add speed camera button (now missing) quickly showed this on the pre-November 21 version. It is just a minor niggle though.
I'm pretty sure this is because the traffic congestion is now served from the TomTom servers via LIVE.

In older SW Kia used the TPEG congestion from Classic FM. This was good as it meant you got the congestion data irrespective of whether you had LIVE connected or not.

I think it was 'quietly' dropped two versions ago and few noticed. The camera reporting system never worked for the two camera locations near me which have been removed - so I guess it was a waste of space and dropped to save coding it in new SW.

Reactions: Arodnap
#26 ·
Finally, KIA has come up with a remedy for the speed limit issue!

It took forever to download via my slow broadband, formatting and replacing files all straight on to the SD card that had been in use. Once inserted into the slot, and begun, the system took just shy of 10 minutes to acknowledge that it was complete and after inputting a destination, the correct speed limit for my location replaced the three dashes.

I haven't tested on a drive to anywhere yet but the only difficulty I had really since the botched update of 2021 was the three dashes so hopefully, that will be the end of the matter for me.

Reactions: Tommo21 and iooi
#27 ·
Can someone confirm if the icons are the same or did they change them to these neon violet-pink ones like for Standard Gen5 and Gen5W?

#30 ·
Although I may find things to whinge about once I have used the updated nav system in earnest, it does still annoy me that I cannot input destinations via voice control.

Generally, it's no big deal to key a postcode or address into the system, but I can use voice to select destinations on Waze and on ACP. Curiously, I can't do that with the fairly recent version of Google Maps on my phone. Still, life could be worse, indeed much worse if I happened to live in Ukraine!:cry:

#31 ·
Well mine is on the SD card and sounds promising to finally get rid of the dashes. Not sure if I'll update it tonight or on road to work in the morning. Undecided at moment, though I'm sure curiosity will get better of me soon.
For the older units like ours. Are we now on a yearly update or 6 months update going forward ?

#35 ·
So far so good. Behaved impeccably on short 10 mile journey!

Great to see the road "fill" colours working again to denote density of traffic. That was one feature I really did miss.

Wonder if the maps have been updated in this update? Will no doubt discover this next time I go on a longer journey.

#40 ·
I have applied the update and I think KIA have fudged the fixes in my opinion.

Pre 2021 update the camera would detect the sign and remember it and store it in memory until it changed. Even with a restart you got the previous speed that was saved.

I went for a drive and tried 2 type of journey. One with SD card in and one with out.

SD card in will use the value of the map to begin with and then when it sees the sign will change to associated speed. The speed will remain on the center dash and not change to ---

If the SD card is out you get the --- until you see a sign and then it will change to the speed but after a period of time it will go back to ---

So it appears that the update is using a mixture of camera and map to provide its values. If this is the case then temporary speed signs will revert back to speed of the road instead of ---

Also if you go on a road which the map does not know the speed of and there are no signs you will get ---

The other bug with showing the incorrect speed on the navigation screen is still there.

At least the GPS time bug has been fixed :)

Just my observations so far.

#41 ·
Also if you go on a road which the map does not know the speed of and there are no signs you will get ---
Would that not be 'by design'?

What other display could be given?

The last detected Speed Board may be wrong (the car could have moved) and if map data is not present then I would think Kia have taken the 'safe' approach. These days it's just not safe saying"National Speed Limit" as councils are dropping them all over the country roads for no apparent reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.