Kia Owners Club Forum banner
161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
Possibly a silly question, but do you need to have a wireless hotspot working to get the traffic/accident info, or does that come over the radio?
Far from a silly question.

Kia quietly abandoned the radio TPEG data services about 2 updates ago and all data now has to come from the LIVE (TomTom servers) so you have to have Hot Sport / Internet connectivity. This was probably when they introduced Kia Connect for new cars and did not want to continue paying for the TPEG data feeds.

It's a bit of a cheat as one of the selling points (for me) was the traffic updates direct to the Nav unit when you did not have a Hot Spot set up. But there is little we can do. It looks like the Nav unit still attaches to the TPEG service but obviously is not receiving/decoding congestion data - I'm prepared to be proved wrong of course.

Edit: I should have said the above applies to the UK. It's quite possible that the Nav unit does receive local traffic data, via the radio TPEg service, in other European countries. It's also possible that other countries DAB services transmit the DAB equivalent of TPEG - something the UK broadcasters did not adopt and the government did not support because (at the time) "the take up of DAB receivers in cars does not justify the investment" Rant over!

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
I now believe that this is achieved by the use of 3 dashes, but it would be really useful if Kia could confirm that.
What a waste of a dash - our speeds only need two 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😎

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
Quick question,

I'm currently on about 8 software versions back (think it was the 1st purple software) and using Uvo (successfully).

If I do the June update for gen 5w (when it drops) will I be forced to change to Kia Connect?
1st purple was in 2020, or at least that is when mine updated to it.

You should be using connect anyway, as it has been discontinued in Sept 2021

·
Registered
1.5T-gdi "4" DCT Phantom Black
88 Posts
1st purple was in 2020, or at least that is when mine updated to it.

You should be using connect anyway, as it has been discontinued in Sept 2021
Hmm, still using Uvo and it works fine for me. I guess they are still supporting it in tandem with Connect.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
876 Posts
Good news.
Last week on my trip to Grimsby on the A180 the sat nav told me to keep to the right at each layby.
Did same journey today and it's not showing the laybys or giving out the info.
On a different topic.
I've noticed that a square with a letter p in it comes on the screen when you are near destination.
You can press it and a red button comes on.
What does it mean as it doesn't appear to do anything.
View attachment 15881
Yes I noticed this today as well. I’m sure in previous version, pressing it took you to the car park screen showing all the nearest car parks etc. however, pressing now doesn’t seem to do anything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What's parking mode? I selected the button , it turned red but I didn't see any changes.
It's activating the sensors around the car so when you reach your parking spot you can park easier.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
518 Posts
It'll be too find parking areas at place you went to, but sounds like it's not working. First real bug of new update then.

Reactions: Daveyboy123

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
274 Posts
It'll be too find parking areas at place you went to, but sounds like it's not working. First real bug of new update then.
Yes, looking like that.
It appears about half a mile from journey end but selecting it makes no difference.

Reactions: Daveyboy123

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
518 Posts
Yes, looking like that.
It appears about half a mile from journey end but selecting it makes no difference.
I tried on road home there and yeah popped up. I don't have any public car parks around me though so obviously nothing to see. Someone would need to try where thier destination had some

·
Registered
274 Posts
I tried on road home there and yeah popped up. I don't have any public car parks around me though so obviously nothing to see. Someone would need to try where thier destination had some
Good point.
Although I tried it yesterday going into a town just using the name of town as destination.
The nav did direct me to the main car park but I don't think it had anything to do with the button.
More testing required.
Also did some testing of the speed camera today.
A road near me has been 40mph since December but Google and the Kia nav have it as the old limit if 50mph.
With camera on it was correct at 40mph but disabling camera displayed 50mph on the nav.

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
It's activating the sensors around the car so when you reach your parking spot you can park easier.
Surely that is going to depend on Spec of car. As not all cars will have sensors.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
876 Posts
Good point.
Although I tried it yesterday going into a town just using the name of town as destination.
The nav did direct me to the main car park but I don't think it had anything to do with the button.
More testing required.
Also did some testing of the speed camera today.
A road near me has been 40mph since December but Google and the Kia nav have it as the old limit if 50mph.
With camera on it was correct at 40mph but disabling camera displayed 50mph on the nav.
So as I say, the older software as soon as you pressed this from what i remember it just went to the live parking screen. when I pressed it before this version I remember doing so and the parking screen come up showing parking nearby.
This version does nothing from what I can tell unless it turns on live poi on map or something showing parking around whilst still driving but don’t think it does. So yeah looks to be a bug but didn’t use that function before so doesn’t bother me. At least it seems all the major things work correctly now and first bug that’s been seen I think.

regarding the speed limits. Yes often sat navs will have out of date speed limits listed in the database but that’s why you use the built in sign recognition as when it works as it should (which seems like it now does), the speed limits will be correct as the camera picks up the signs.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage 1.6T GDI ISG GT-LINE 5DR DCT AUTO [AWD] in Phantom Black.
12 Posts
Possibly a silly question, but do you need to have a wireless hotspot working to get the traffic/accident info, or does that come over the radio?

Thanks, Dave
Hi Dave, yes, you need the live data connection so that the system can download the current traffic situations on your route and to constantly update that information as your route progresses.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
Hi Dave, yes, you need the live data connection so that the system can download the current traffic situations on your route and to constantly update that information as your route progresses.
But you did not a few SW versions ago when the data was taken from the radio TPEG Traffic channel broadcast by Classic FM - which Kia quietly dropped in favour of LIVE.

Sorry to rant .😄

·
Registered
274 Posts
I arranged for the dealership to do my update.
I can confirm it has not resolved the issues with defaulting from 3d to 2d view and changing the colour of the maps
I believe you have the Gen5w software, apparently there should be an update for this software soon, perhaps that might sort the issue.

·
Registered
1.5T-gdi "4" DCT Phantom Black
88 Posts
But you did not a few SW versions ago when the data was taken from the radio TPEG Traffic channel broadcast by Classic FM - which Kia quietly dropped in favour of LIVE.

Sorry to rant .😄
Yes, this is a retrograde step by Kia IMO. My software (1st purple version - 2yrs out of date now) uses data from the radio for live traffic. Simple, easy with no driver interaction needed.

I don't want to be messing about with wireless hotspots on my phone everytime I start a guided journey so thinking hard about whether it's worth updating when next Gen5W update drops.

I do wish they'd left this aspect as it was 🙄

161 - 180 of 220 Posts