Kia Owners Club Forum banner
221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
520 Posts
Had an issue yesterday. I was travelling to Oban and total journey was about 3 hours. We were about an hour into this journey and noticed it was saying about 3.5 hours. Thought that's odd. I clicked into it then recalibrate and it went to around the 2 hour mark.
There was no re-routes or noteable delays as fairly quiet. It was just like it totally lost itself and freaked out.

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
314 Posts
Here's a new one regarding speed limits.
Near me there is a 40 MPH road that was altered from 50 MPH last December.
1) No camera on, as expected display is 50 as obviously the maps need updating
2) Camera on (no WiFi connection), camera correctly picks up 40 MPH until the next 50 MPH sign is seen.
3) Camera on and WiFi on, camera correctly picks up 40 MPH but after a short while reverts to 50 MPH, well before the 50 MPH sign.
I assume that the live traffic on the WiFi is overriding the camera?

Latest Compact Gen software 19/05/22

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts
2) Camera on (no WiFi connection), camera correctly picks up 40 MPH until the next 50 MPH sign is seen.
3) Camera on and WiFi on, camera correctly picks up 40 MPH but after a short while reverts to 50 MPH, well before the 50 MPH sign.

OMG 😱 That is a new twist!

I wasn't aware we were getting speed limits from the Live feed and it seems odd to have speed limit info from 3 sources

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
520 Posts

I wasn't aware we were getting speed limits from the Live feed and it seems odd to have speed limit info from 3 sources
Similar to above I hit the old style overhead gantry signs on M74 yesterday that were 40s. Car doesn't read them so still said 70. However a few hundred yards on I was surprised my dash read 40 and there were no temporary road work signs around, so got that speed limit change from somewhere.

Reactions: macgd016

·
Registered
314 Posts

Yes, it did it the other day but I thought that the camera had missed the sign but today I watched it and it changed midway going both directions through the 40 zone.
Will put fault report into Kia.

Reactions: macgd016

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts
I'd like to check and see whether its the live data that is causing the missing speed limits, is there any way to switch the Line data feed off on my Xceed with on board Sim I wonder

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts
I'd like to check and see whether its the live data that is causing the missing speed limits, is there any way to switch the Line data feed off on my Xceed with on board Sim I wonder
Nope, I found that option and switched it off and I still have no speed limits in my village except the major roads.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts

Although no better or more logical there could be another explanation for this. It is possible that switching WiFi off disables the map data meaning that the car is relying solely on the camera. In my car for instance with the camera switched off I can see a large number of local roads have no speed limits in the map data, turning into one of these the speed icon goes off immediately but with the camera on the icon stays on for 300-500 meters (I haven't measured the distance yet) before showing the speed limit in the map data. This is not dissimilar to what you describe in 3)

Just in the interests of science 🤣 have you tried switching the WiFi off and driving from a 30 limit passed a de-restriction sign? And another variant on your testing above would be Camera off and WiFi off.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,659 Posts
I'd find it difficult to think that LIVE data would be generally used for speed limit display updates, there would be far too much data flow. On Motorways variable speed limit areas it is conceivable that the Control Room systems could send changed limit information forward to TomTom when they set the road displays. It would make sense given the move towards more intervention into our driving pleasure by technology.

Is it possible that when there is a discrepancy between camera read and Nav database read the Nav unit asks TomTom servers for a confirmation? So in case 3) mentioned by Faltwen TomTom is returning the old speed limit because the Local Authority has not gazetteered the new speed limit so no national datasets have been updated. I actually think even this is a no-no as the quantity of data requests from the thousands of cars on the road would add to the data load on TomTom servers and network data costs.

Is it also possible that for camera reads, of speed limit, there is a algorithm that determines the distance the last camera read speed limit should be valid for and after that distance, if no repeater/update board has been read, the unit drops back to Nav map data?

Our understanding would be so much better if Hyundai/Kia would enter into a discussion about these issues (snowball in hell I hear you say? 🤣🤣🤣)

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
886 Posts
I'd find it difficult to think that LIVE data would be generally used for speed limit display updates, there would be far too much data flow. On Motorways variable speed limit areas it is conceivable that the Control Room systems could send changed limit information forward to TomTom when they set the road displays. It would make sense given the move towards more intervention into our driving pleasure by technology.

Is it possible that when there is a discrepancy between camera read and Nav database read the Nav unit asks TomTom servers for a confirmation? So in case 3) mentioned by Faltwen TomTom is returning the old speed limit because the Local Authority has not gazetteered the new speed limit so no national datasets have been updated. I actually think even this is a no-no as the quantity of data requests from the thousands of cars on the road would add to the data load on TomTom servers and network data costs.

Is it also possible that for camera reads, of speed limit, there is a algorithm that determines the distance the last camera read speed limit should be valid for and after that distance, if no repeater/update board has been read, the unit drops back to Nav map data?

Our understanding would be so much better if Hyundai/Kia would enter into a discussion about these issues (snowball in hell I hear you say? 🤣🤣🤣)
Yes I agree with all of the above although whether Hyundai/Kia actually have any understanding of the software they have developed is questionable :oops: 🤣

·
Registered
314 Posts

Right, sorry about this but some of the info above is incorrect.
So today I drove through the same 40mph signs with the WiFi off and watched carefully.
Unbelievably the speed recognition changed to 40 then a few seconds later changed to 50!.
Obviously the wrong info but must be from the maps overriding the camera.
This is definitely from the last update as the one from November always worked correctly in this scenario (except the correct speed went to (---) after a while.

Could be like Radiorail stated
"Is it also possible that for camera reads, of speed limit, there is a algorithm that determines the distance the last camera read speed limit should be valid for and after that distance, if no repeater/update board has been read, the unit drops back to Nav map data?"

More investigating required.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The thing is we have all become complacent and rely on dash displays to know what the speed limit is, perhaps we need to revert to the Mk 1 eyeball method and look at the road rather than the dash.
True, but if I have something on my car I would like it to work correctly and if the system is supposed to display speed limits then they should be correct.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I notice something yesterday I wasn't expecting. Near me there is a new bridge over a railway line, it's only been open about 3 weeks, so wont be on the latest maps. Yesterday was only the second time I've been over it. The first time was just there was no route set and wasn't connected to my phone, so it was I was driving over fields on the satnav. But yesterday I had a route planed and the phone was connected. This time the satnav showed the new roundabout and the road going over the bridge. No idea how it does it but must have something to do with it connected to the phone.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sportage 1.6T GDI ISG GT-LINE 5DR DCT AUTO [AWD] in Phantom Black.
14 Posts
I notice something yesterday I wasn't expecting. Near me there is a new bridge over a railway line, it's only been open about 3 weeks, so wont be on the latest maps. Yesterday was only the second time I've been over it. The first time was just there was no route set and wasn't connected to my phone, so it was I was driving over fields on the satnav. But yesterday I had a route planed and the phone was connected. This time the satnav showed the new roundabout and the road going over the bridge. No idea how it does it but must have something to do with it connected to the phone.
That’s really interesting as we have the A30 roadworks here in Cornwall and there has been a new, temporary roundabout in use for four weeks now and it hasn’t shown up on my live Kia Maps with the connected phone system on planned routes yet. It has however, been there since day one on Waze, Apple Maps and Google maps on CarPlay.
If there are OTA map updates then that’s great news, but it seems very inconsistent.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Ia this on Kia navigation or Google/Apple?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
I'm going to double check. Because the phone was plugged in but I didn't have Google or apple maps running and strange things do happen. I'll report back after I've been.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 · (Edited)
Well I've just re done the route and yes it shows the new road.
The red marks the old road. The A605 in green is the new road which only opened a few weeks ago.
Gps navigation device Automotive navigation system Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

I was connected to my iPhone by Wi-Fi hotspot. Not UVO. and not connected by a cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, this is my first post to the forum. I updated my sat nav 2 days ago and all seems okay although I haven't used it much.

There is something baffling me a bit though.

On my previous versions of the software the Nav app always begins with STD5 whereas my new update shows Nav app as Com5

My car is 2017 Sportage gt line.

Have I downloaded the correct version of update.

Thanks

221 - 240 of 247 Posts