Kia Owners Club Forum banner
181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
40 Posts
Yes, this is a retrograde step by Kia IMO. My software (1st purple version - 2yrs out of date now) uses data from the radio for live traffic. Simple, easy with no driver interaction needed.

I don't want to be messing about with wireless hotspots on my phone everytime I start a guided journey so thinking hard about whether it's worth updating when next Gen5W update drops.

I do wish they'd left this aspect as it was 🙄
This thread is for vehicles with Standard or Compact head units. These head units don't have internet connectivity unless you set up a wireless hotspot. If your head unit is Standard Gen5W then you have live traffic through the inbuilt SIM - no hotspot required.

John.

Reactions: Carlos67

·
Registered
1.5T-gdi "4" DCT Phantom Black
88 Posts
This thread is for vehicles with Standard or Compact head units. These head units don't have internet connectivity unless you set up a wireless hotspot. If your head unit is Standard Gen5W then you have live traffic through the inbuilt SIM - no hotspot required.

John.
Oh that's good news. Thanks John, I can update now when it's available 👍🏻

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
274 Posts
So I had the reroute come up on screen today.
It stated, a faster route had been found, do you wish to stay on original, reroute or info.
First time I stayed on original then next time it came up I selected info but nothing appeared to change and no info was forthcoming.
More testing required.
Seems like every time I drive the car I use the satnav just to suss the changes out.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
876 Posts
So I had the reroute come up on screen today.
It stated, a faster route had been found, do you wish to stay on original, reroute or info.
First time I stayed on original then next time it came up I selected info but nothing appeared to change and no info was forthcoming.
More testing required.
Seems like every time I drive the car I use the satnav just to suss the changes out.
I too have now had a box appear saying a faster route is available. yes was pressed and it did seem to change route as time to destination decreased. How is there an info button as when driving you can’t be pressing buttons like this can you unless a passenger can press for you

·
Registered
784 Posts
Looks like the Gen5w software/maps update will be released around 22/06

·
Registered
274 Posts
Had a new message today with the updated satnav.
Drove onto Lincolnshire Show car park and message appears on screen and voice stating not a public road. This kept repeating every so often.
Connected to WiFi but no route planned.

·
Super Moderator
10,059 Posts
Think I'll let someone beta test first before I bight the bullet. Unless, of course, the OTA does it anyway?
Well you will have a 10.25 Gen5W.

So anything in this thread does not relate to your head unit.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
So I finally decided to update my Stonic Nav SW from YB.EUR.SOP.013.17.211027 to YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.2110519 YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.220519
(Edit corrected Version Typo)
After downloading (by PC) to the SD card the update took 11 mins and all apparently went well, my previous settings were restored.

Things I have noted;
a) The display of Speed Limit no longer displays on estate roads, I have tried on four or five estates in the area and after turning into the estate the Speed Limit display vanishes (i.e. it does not display "- - "). This is even on those estates where the roads are potential through routes to other roads.​
b) I can see no change to the map displays or clarity of the map​
c) Some speed limits are still incorrect but these are the same as the previous version​
d) From a limited test the Navigation appears to ignore roads that which do not have speed limits - this is not just estate roads. There is one 3 mile, adopted, road nearby which cuts a corner off a 8 mile journey by A roads - the Nav refuses to consider that road unless you are actually on it.​
e) On test journeys I did receive Alternative Route notifications during the journey (but the previous version also did that).​
f) I noticed the Menu Target of P (bottom left) and the bar on the target changed to red if touched - but there was no change on the display. Further investigation leads me to suspect that this does not tell you about ALL parking in an area only those Multi-storey Parking establishments which of course charge. Other Parking (Street and Council) alternatives don't show but do show on the overall map when Parking is selected from POI list. I suspect this on screen P target may be a sponsor supported feature.​
g) The UK tag is now removed from the Address Bar​
h) I have not yet noticed any difference in the audio content​
I wonder if the removal of estate roads is to save database space as the whole SW release is approaching the maximum FAT32 size.​
Edit: I can't be sure but is seems that the Search Keyboard has changed (smaller) perhaps someone still with old SW can post a picture of the search display.​

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
EV6 GT-line S AWD with heatpump in Yacht Blue on order
40 Posts
So I finally decided to update my Stonic Nav SW from YB.EUR.SOP.013.17.211027 to YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.2110519.
Current version for the Stonic MY20 is YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.220519 (my bold), so is that just a typo in your post or a corrupt install?

John.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
Current version for the Stonic MY20 is YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.220519 (my bold), so is that just a typo in your post or a corrupt install?
John.
Thanks - yes I made a typo - now corrected.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So I finally decided to update my Stonic Nav SW from YB.EUR.SOP.013.17.211027 to YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.2110519 YB.EUR.SOP.014.6.220519
(Edit corrected Version Typo)
After downloading (by PC) to the SD card the update took 11 mins and all apparently went well, my previous settings were restored.

Things I have noted;
a) The display of Speed Limit no longer displays on estate roads, I have tried on four or five estates in the area and after turning into the estate the Speed Limit display vanishes (i.e. it does not display "- - "). This is even on those estates where the roads are potential through routes to other roads.​
b) I can see no change to the map displays or clarity of the map​
c) Some speed limits are still incorrect but these are the same as the previous version​
d) From a limited test the Navigation appears to ignore roads that which do not have speed limits - this is not just estate roads. There is one 3 mile, adopted, road nearby which cuts a corner off a 8 mile journey by A roads - the Nav refuses to consider that road unless you are actually on it.​
e) On test journeys I did receive Alternative Route notifications during the journey (but the previous version also did that).​
f) I noticed the Menu Target of P (bottom left) and the bar on the target changed to red if touched - but there was no change on the display. Further investigation leads me to suspect that this does not tell you about ALL parking in an area only those Multi-storey Parking establishments which of course charge. Other Parking (Street and Council) alternatives don't show but do show on the overall map when Parking is selected from POI list. I suspect this on screen P target may be a sponsor supported feature.​
g) The UK tag is now removed from the Address Bar​
h) I have not yet noticed any difference in the audio content​
I wonder if the removal of estate roads is to save database space as the whole SW release is approaching the maximum FAT32 size.​
Edit: I can't be sure but is seems that the Search Keyboard has changed (smaller) perhaps someone still with old SW can post a picture of the search display.​
I'm on the compact gen5 system.
On estate roads the (---) displays on mine as it should according to the manual which states if the system doesn't know the speed limit then it displays (---).
Yes there are incorrect speed limits but that's why the camera is there to override the incorrect data in the sat nav, which is impossible to keep correct due to changing limits by the council's etc.
The other day I drove out of an unclassified road onto an A road that the satnav thought was 60 so 60 was displayed on the fascia. I knew it had changed to 50 a few months ago and within a short distance a 50 sign was seen by the camera which correctly override the satnav data.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,594 Posts
I'm on the compact gen5 system.
On estate roads the (---) displays on mine as it should according to the manual which states if the system doesn't know the speed limit then it displays (---).
Yes there are incorrect speed limits but that's why the camera is there to override the incorrect data in the sat nav, which is impossible to keep correct due to changing limits by the council's etc.
The other day I drove out of an unclassified road onto an A road that the satnav thought was 60 so 60 was displayed on the fascia. I knew it had changed to 50 a few months ago and within a short distance a 50 sign was seen by the camera which correctly override the satnav data.
1. My car is Stonic 1st edition so it does not have a forward reading camera or instrument cluster display only the Nav screen display.
2. Yes I know that speed limits will never be 100% correct - I just commented that there had been no change since the previous version - and some of the errors are many years wrong.
3. In terms of estate, and some other, roads the previous version did report the speed limits on those roads - they are generally 30 MPH. Leaving a blank display seems a backward step particularly as one road I have come across is not an estate road but a 3 mile public country road trough parkland which has existed for over 100 years. Now it has no speed limit reported and does not seem to get included in navigation routings.

Reactions: Faltwen

·
Registered
274 Posts
I didn't realise there was no camera in your car.
Have to agree about the lack of speed limits on estate roads etc. I even found a 60mph one the other day with no speed displayed.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
Someone was complaining about the satnav and parking laybys. I never had this problem but I now have a similar thing.
I've just done a journey from Peterborough to Scotland. The first part is 70/80 miles up the A1/A1M without a major junction. But the satnav kept warning me about small junctions. It would say "In 19 miles bare right" or something similar. I could understand for major junction but these were for small ones where it wouldn't before say anything. There was one where it said "Turn right" where going left would have taken you off the main road in to a service area. I only seem to get this on the A1/A1M, once off it didn't get this problem.
Another thing I noticed was the routes seemed strange and long. We were going somewhere and looking on Google maps and it stated it was 41 miles and take just over a hour. When putting it in the satnav it said it was 49 miles. You'd think it was taking a longer but quicker route. But no, it said it would take 1 hour 45 minutes.
I don't know how they work these routes out but it needs sorting.

·
Registered
2019 Sportage 2, 1.6 (AWD) , Petrol.
25 Posts
Someone was complaining about the satnav and parking laybys. I never had this problem but I now have a similar thing.
I've just done a journey from Peterborough to Scotland. The first part is 70/80 miles up the A1/A1M without a major junction. But the satnav kept warning me about small junctions. It would say "In 19 miles bare right" or something similar. I could understand for major junction but these were for small ones where it wouldn't before say anything. There was one where it said "Turn right" where going left would have taken you off the main road in to a service area. I only seem to get this on the A1/A1M, once off it didn't get this problem.
Another thing I noticed was the routes seemed strange and long. We were going somewhere and looking on Google maps and it stated it was 41 miles and take just over a hour. When putting it in the satnav it said it was 49 miles. You'd think it was taking a longer but quicker route. But no, it said it would take 1 hour 45 minutes.
I don't know how they work these routes out but it needs sorting.
I had similar problems travelling from N.Yorkshire passing Peterborough. There were Five times the satnav wanted to turn off the A1, loop round and then back on again. Once could have been due to heavier traffic flow, but the others, there was no logical reason. The loops were back to the A1 exit point.
I did wonder if atmospherics were scrambling the RDS (Radio Data System, a communications-protocol standard used with commercial FM) which I’m assuming updates the route if necessary.
G

·
Registered
2019 Sportage 2, 1.6 (AWD) , Petrol.
25 Posts
I’ve updated the software to the latest version and I can no longer find the overview of a route. It used to be off the map screen( bottom left menu).
Has the overview been removed or just moved to somewhere that’s no longer easy to find?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’ve updated the software to the latest version and I can no longer find the overview of a route. It used to be off the map screen( bottom left menu).
Has the overview been removed or just moved to somewhere that’s no longer easy to find?
Not sure if I read somewhere about pressing the map button, although I may be imagining it.
I'll check tomorrow.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts