• ISG PROBLEMS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO SPARE WHEEL

Votes: 0 0.0%

Common Rio Issues Poll

6K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  M4trundler 
#1 ·
All,

Kia customer services have been very proactive thus far in working towards fixing the issues that i have with my Rio much to thier Credit i might add, but, they have advised that Kia are "not aware" of any of these issues being a commonproblem with the new model Rio.

Now This infuriates me a little as the Main Dealer that my car is going to for the fixes informs me that this will be the 4th car that they have seen with the Dash issue alone, which would indicate that there is either a communications issue between the dealers and Head office, or that the issues do exist, are documented but to avoid a costly re-call nothing is being made official.

So in part to satisfy my own curiosity, and in part as an informative measure for the Customer Services team can you vote if you have had any of the issues that seem to be reasonably commonplace judging by posts in the Forum.

If you havent had any issues there is not vote for you i am afraid as it only allows 6 Options.

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
big_boz said:
All,

Kia customer services have been very proactive thus far in working towards fixing the issues that i have with my Rio much to thier Credit i might add, but, they have advised that Kia are "not aware" of any of these issues being a commonproblem with the new model Rio...............................
Here ispart of technical services bulletin no.086 issued by Kia in the US last December. Could it be the same problem that some owners in the UK are experiencing?

ã

<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="816">
<t><tr><td height="47" vAlign="TOP">

This bulletin provides information related to Rio (UB) vehicles produced from Start of production to November 11, 2011 that may experience a squeaking, rubbing or creaking noise emitting from the upper instrument panel pad area during normal driving conditions or while going over bumps or rough roads. These noises may be more prevalent during colder temperatures. To repair this condition, perform the following procedure outlined in this TSB.
<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="316">
<t><tr><td height="11" vAlign="TOP" colSpan="2">

Service Procedure:

</td>
</tr>
<tr><td height="75" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>
<td height="75" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

Test drive vehicle to verify that there is a squeaking or similar noise emitting from the upper instrument panel pad area. These noises may be more prevalent in colder temperatures, during turns and driving over rough road conditions.

</td>
</tr>
<tr><td height="93" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>
<td height="93" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

Follow the procedure outlined on KGIS for removal of the dash assembly. Record customers radio presets before disconnecting the battery. Instrument panel pad assembly is shown removed (photo on the right) to allow access to the four (4) dash contact tabs as indicated in the circle

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="288">
<t><tr><td height="29" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>
<td height="29" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

Locate the four (4) contact tabs (arrows) after instrument panel pad assembly has been removed

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="304">
<t><tr><td height="19" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>
<td height="19" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

Apply a felt type insulating material to each of the four (4) contact tabs.

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="291">
<t><tr><td height="29" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>

Close-up view of insulating material applied to instrument panel pad contact tab.

<table dir="LTR" border="1" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="7" width="316">
<t><tr><td height="75" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>
<td height="75" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

After applying the insulating material to each of four (4) tabs, install instrument panel pad assembly in reverse order of removal as per KGIS procedure. Reconnect the negative battery terminal, and then reprogram the radio stations with customer presets.

</td>
</tr>
<tr><td height="29" vAlign="TOP" width="50%">

</td>

Test drive vehicle to ensure the instrument panel pad related noise concern has been corrected.

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

#8 ·
davy said:
Here's yer six guys, happy voting

Cheers Fella, apologies not been on since Friday to say Thanks for altering the Poll.

I dont think that the lack of a spare wheel should be classed as a "problem" though. It is implicit in the brochures that there is no spare as standard. I don;t disagree that it is very poor that there isnt a spare whell, BUT they dont promise one anyway.

And Wiki, good work on the Dash "official" creak line from Kia, Tremendous!

#9 ·
That was put in to see how many people would agree that NOT having a spare was a not really a fault but more of a complaint and I had to make up a sixth one, so that seemed to be appropriate at this moment in time.
Not having a spare is ok untill you need to change a wheel because the goo aint going to seal the hole. That is why I bought a spare for my Leon but I did not need to buy a jack or wheel key as this is in with the bottle of goo and compressor/airpump. Did you know the bottle of sealer/goo has a use before date. After that its about £30 for a new bottle, well thats a VAG price not sure on Kia price

Edited by: davy

#10 ·
Good point on the expiry date, il have a look.

Did you know that Airbags have a 7 year life only....well they do in Alfa's and Audis, bith cars have a warning that they should be replaced after this timeframe.......

#12 ·
davy said:
big_boz said:
Good point on the expiry date, il have a look.

Did you know that Airbags have a 7 year life only....well they do in Alfa's and Audis, bith cars have a warning that they should be replaced after this timeframe.......
Would an Alfa car last 7 years. I think it would be binned before the airbags deteriated

It would last, but almost every wearing part would have been replaced.........

On My 156, suspension arms are a service item!

The Momo tan leather sports interior, and Lambo style teledial wheels account for a mutitude of sins when its been freshly washed and the sun is out. At least it looks good when its broken down!

#13 ·
Apparently The dash rattle is cured and the Hill assist was working, but the criteria for it to work is "complex" so lets see if they camn explain how and when it should work, I will update when i have collected it in a bit.

Apparently the squeaky clutch pedal requires a complete strip down, so she is back in for round 2 on Monday the 2nd of April...to be continued!

#15 ·
Got it back and il tell you what, its totally fixed on the dash rattle front, went against my inbuilt driving nature and went for a few potholes on the way home and zero rattle. Also grabbing theinstrumentbinnacle and giving a goodwrenchabout now results in no creaking at all.

Ididn'thave time for the fullexplanationof how to get the HAC working as there was some guy having a full rant over some sorrento cam belt issue and i just wanted to get down the boozer as the sum was out! I was however told that it was tested working.......

The car is back in on Monday for another full day for the clutch squeak as the garage and "all the techs"couldn'twork out what it was causing the squeak, from in, over or under the car so they are going to startdismantlinguntil the root cause is established. I will update when they have had a look.

#16 ·
I got my new rio last thursday and have had no of the issues listed in the poll. Not having a spare wheel doesnt bother me to be honest as if i get a flat i will be calling the kia assist breakdown service, also like the extra boot room you get :)

My only gripe is the visibility when reversing, the small window is fine just the two rear pillars are very large and do create large blind spots, but overall im loving the car.

Hope anyone who has issues get them sorted.

#18 ·
Riotrio said:
Hi. We're having the clutch squeek on our 3 crdi sorted on Thursday. They've had to replace a part but missus couldn't tell me what. Will update you next week. Steering wheel squeek started again too after apparently being fixed. Anyone else have this problem?

Which Dealer is doing the clutch fix, theLeedsdealer said theyDontknow what it is, I might ask them to contact your dealer to discuss before they start pulling my car apart on Monday if yours has an idea of what the fix is.

#20 ·
Clutch squeak has now started on my Rio 3. It can be heard when lift the pedal up slowly especially in 1st gear. Carr & Griffiths in Chester were more than happy to book it in and they have booked me a courtesy car. Initially assuring.

#22 ·
mine is in today getting fixed by ringways kia in leeds, I asked them to call the stoughbridge dealer who fixed some one elses for pointers, they havent called me to say its done yet and have had its since 8:30 this morning so fingers crossed it will be fixed today.

#23 ·
Squeak fixed, apparently the clutch slave cylinder needed greasing, not sure if anyone else has had the same fix. Anyway, touch wood all issues now resolved, however, the dealer has been valetingthecarevery timeits been in , so unless something else goes wrong il have to clean it myself next time!

#24 ·
hi big_boyz,
kia grey here, i to have a squeky clutch pedal mine appears to be the black rubber boot around the rod as it goes through the bulkhead it seems to rub the rod as you slowly move the pedal up and down i was wondering if removing it might cure the problem any thoughts ?

Also have the dreaded dashboard squeak and rattle along with the door panelsand just lately(check stop and go ) message , apart from all that i really like the car. anyideas.

#25 ·
kia gray said:
hi big_boyz,
kia grey here, i to have a squeky clutch pedal mine appears to be the black rubber boot around the rod as it goes through the bulkhead it seems to rub the rod as you slowly move the pedal up and down i was wondering if removing it might cure the problem any thoughts ?

Also have the dreaded dashboard squeak and rattle along with the door panelsand just lately(check stop and go ) message , apart from all that i really like the car. anyideas.

Big_boyz...have you turned me Gay!

Clutch was apparently the slave cylinder Mech that neaded greasing they didnt mention anything other than that. Dash had to come out, there are some clips that needed clipping properly and some extra padding around the instrument binacle, i havent had any rattles from the doors though, not seen it mentioned either.....

I did get that "check stop an go" a few times when i got it but havesnt seen it since so assumed something was bedding in.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.