Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With much anticipation I collected the Sportage yesterday! It's a KX3 Satnav Auto. I've put a few miles on and generally I'm happy. I find the driving position pretty good, the gearbox is great, the lights are brilliant and it looks fab. I wasn't happy with the hi-fi at first but after fiddling with the settings I'm much happier.

Negatives:

At low revs the engine is pretty agricultural, fairly slow and consumption seems poor. I know however from the experience of my last car that it's best to wait a couple of thousand miles to really judge it as diesels improve greatly when they've bedded in.

I find the steering lacks any kind of feedback and the ride is harsh. Hopefully I'll get used to it!

Liam

·
Registered
413 Posts
Did you not test drive it before you bought it ?
I picked mine up on Wednesday and am absolutely thrilled all round. The sat nav and stereo are great, just different to a Garmin or Tom Tom. The ride is like velvet compared to my previous car (BMW) and the engine is pretty quiet (ish) in a very diesely way.
The performance for the car is brisk. It's a big car after all and the mpg will improve hopefully. Short journeys seem to punish it.
Oh and did I mention it looks fab.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Short journey, cold start mpg has got considerably better on mine quite quickly ‘�

24 mpg in less than a mile from home.
Just touching 40 mpg on my 7.4 mile comute.
Best yet was a sedate 10 mile motorway run which got 51.6 but this had dropped to 50.5 by the time I had parked up at final destination.

WD ˜ƒ

Edited to add - KX3 2.0 CRDi (my sig didn't appear ?)Edited by: WD Pro

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I test drove a kx2 with smaller wheels and the roads near the dealer were better than near home. on my last car the ride softened up a bit after a couple of months use, maybe this will too. i like the satnav/radio apart from minor niggles, probably just need to read the huge book!

I don't think the engine is generally noisy, just rattley when pulling away. Definitely seems slow off the mark to me though, I was expecting more power on the top model but maybe I mis-read the spec.

To end on a positive note, I love the fact that I can leave the boot empty and fit all my junk in with the spare!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I had a 2009 Sportage Titan before and even though it had 70 profile tyres it had a really harsh ride!Your right about the spare wheel compartment - the amount of junk you can store in there is amazing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
With an auto you will struggle to see anything better than 25mpg appearing on the dash. The factory fuel figures for these cars should be taken with a large pinch of salt. A friend of mine owns a local Kia dealership and concurs that Kia have been more than optimistic with their fuel data. With a manual anyone who tells you they are getting anything much more than 36ish mpg combined should be treated with suspicion.
The steering on the car is a touch vague and has a "dead" neutral feel. Performance wise they are ok, nothing sparkling but for a touch over 20k you cant expect Freelander or BMW X3/5 performance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
List price for mine was £27,500 give or take a few quid. A bit more than a touch over £20k!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
ashtons99 said:
With an auto you will struggle to see anything better than 25mpg appearing on the dash. The factory fuel figures for these cars should be taken with a large pinch of salt. A friend of mine owns a local Kia dealership and concurs that Kia have been more than optimistic with their fuel data.
Kia can't really be blamed for the optimistic fuel figures. They are the result of new, improved, EU standard tests that are supposed to me more accurate.

<h2 style="font-size: 0.9em; color: rgb35, 55, 142; margin-bottom: 0pt; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">How is the fuel consumption test conducted?</h2><ul style="text-align: left; "><li style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; "><div style="margin-bottom: 0pt; ">The test is outlined in Directive 93/116/EC as amended by Regulation (EC) 692/2008, and provides results that are more than representative of actual average on-road fuel consumption than previous tests. There are two parts: an urban and an extra-urban cycle. The cars tested have to be run-in and must have been driven for at least 1,800 miles (3,000 kilometres) before testing.
<li style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; "><div style="margin-bottom: 0pt; ">Urban Cycle
The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of 20<sup>o</sup>C to 30<sup>o</sup>C on a rolling road from a cold start, i.e. the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerating and idling. Maximum speed is 31mph (50km/h), average speed 12mph (19km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4km).
<li style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; "><div style="margin-bottom: 0pt; ">Extra-Urban Cycle
This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75mph (120km/h), average speed is 39mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3miles (7km).
[*]<div style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0pt; ">Combined Fuel Consumption Figure
The combined figure presented is for the urban and extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two parts of the test, weighted by the distances covered in each part.
<div style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0pt; ">

<div style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0pt; ">Source
<div style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0.8em; line-height: normal; margin-bottom: 0pt; ">

[/list]

·
Registered
980 Posts
ashtons99 said:
With a manual anyone who tells you they are getting anything much more than 36ish mpg combined should be treated with suspicion.
What do you class a combined ?

WD ˜ƒ

·
Registered
216 Posts
telephoneman said:
List price for mine was £27,500 give or take a few quid. A bit more than a touch over £20k!
List price it may be. There are plenty on deals to be had on the cars at 24k or less for a 3satnav

·
Registered
216 Posts
WD Pro said:
ashtons99 said:
With a manual anyone who tells you they are getting anything much more than 36ish mpg combined should be treated with suspicion.
What do you class a combined ?

WD ˜ƒ
General all round driving, the type most drivers do i.e generally on 30/40/national limits with a bit of motorway thrown in. I do round about 400 miles a month on these types of roads. I am very fuel consumption aware and just manage to make 36 ish to the gallon. I have 2 friends with these cars who struggle to make 35mpg and my friend who has the kia dealership says their demo cars are low 30's.
Realistically anyone who expects a huge lump of 4wd to do much more than mid 30s is very optimistic.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Dandan,I keep the spare in the car... last puncture I had was in 1981, so I'm well overdue another

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I keep the spare in the car but the space in and around it is great for storing all the bits and pieces I carry, jump leads, cloths, water, air pump, golf shoes etc. I was moving stuff from the old car to the new on Saturday and dropped the can of tyre sealant. As per Sod's Law it landed directly on it's end and emptied itself all over the driveway!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I keep all my car bitz & pieces like spare bulbs, cleaning stuff etc inside the wheel and around the outside all my duty free bottles

·
Registered
260 Posts
ashtons99 said:
telephoneman said:
List price it may be. There are plenty on deals to be had on the cars at 24k or less for a 3satnav

Agreed, I coud have got the auto KX3 for way less than £24K but went down the leasing route.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The more stuff you carry packed around the spare the more weight you carry and the more fuel you use . . . ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm liking the car more each day. After it reached 200 miles it was like a different car - it's got way more go in it than it had when I picked it up on Friday. The consumption readout is improving too. I've got the driving position and the audio set just as I want them (thanks to help from here) so it's all good!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've done about 270 miles in mine since i got it at the weekend.
The computer is showing 52mpg, so if this is correct, then I'm well pleased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
keat99 said:
I've done about 270 miles in mine since i got it at the weekend.
The computer is showing 52mpg, so if this is correct, then I'm well pleased.
I've improved from 26mpg to 28mpg! I dream of 52!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts