Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to the forum. I have had a new picanto 1 for two months and recently had cold start problems. On thursday it took six attempts to start up, only starting up after cranking the engine over for approx 20 seconds. Not good for a new car with less than 1000 miles on the clock. Booked it in to my local kia dealership and they said they could not find nothing wrong with it. The weather had warmed up by the time they looked at it on the Monday afternoon and they said it had started up first time. Service dept dont give me great confidence as didnt return any phone calls. Have paid for 5yrs service package aswell so hopefully will improve when it goes in for any servicing. Any one else faced same problems with starting up on very cold mornings and found out the problem as i am sure this will happen again. This is my first kia and hopefully not my last.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Kevvo
I've got new picanto 1 / done 1100 miles. Great car in many ways but I have had several embarrassing difficult cold starts so far! And the mpg is nowhere near what it should be yet.
Here's hoping!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Are you using Shell Fuelsave 95 RON? There's a thread about cold starting problems involving that brand. My car always starts instantly in cold weather. I haven't used Shell Fuelsave and won't until we know more about this issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I usually fill up at supermarkets so have not been filling up with shell. My mpg isnt what it should be aswell but hopefully will get better in time. Good car but still concerns about cold start issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What procedure do you use when (cold) starting? I believe they say not to touch the accelerator till it fires, but I press down say 10 mm as I crank the engine. Seems to work. Be interesting to see if these problems go away when the weather warms up. I suspect they have mapped the ECU very lean, even at cold startup, to avoid going over 99 g/Km on the rolling road test.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need to press the clutch down on the picanto to start it and dont press the accelerator at all until it kicks in. Been ok the last couple of cold mornings but still dont feel confident about cold starts. Hope i prove myself wrong.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Hi kevvo and willbo2000<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I'm really sorry about the problems you're both having starting your Picanto from cold. This definitely isn't what we expect from such a new car.

We're aware of other customers raising concerns like yours. We've escalated the situation to our factories ""“ they're working on a solution as a priority. When a resolution is found, we'll be letting our dealers know.

Customer service is really important to us so we're keen to know who your dealer is, kevvo. Please give us a call on the number below so we can look into their level of service for you.

If you want more information about this problem, please feel free to call either your dealer or us directly ""“ we're here to help.

Kia Customer Service
0845 6017521
Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join In www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Call centre opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday: 8.30am - 6pm
Thursday: 9.30am - 6pm
Friday: 8.30am - 6pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kia customer service,

Thanks for your reply
its nice to know you are now aware of the cold start problems some people are having. Thursday morning was the same, it took four attempts to start on a cold frosty morning. The picanto is otherwise a great little car so its a shame about the starting issues. Will look forward to your solution regarding this matter. I would prefere to give the dealership i took the car to another chance as i have had no problems with them before. Thank you once again for your responce regarding this issue, its nice to know you value your customers.

Kevvo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi ,

i have the same startup problems on my picanto 2 1.0 it also has a flatspot when changing up from 1st to second when cold it just does nothing for 3-4 secs :( . i have taken it to the garage i got it from and they have added me to list the list of other people with these problems. i hope they solve it quickly because i wouldn't be very happy if it doesn't start at all one day ! my fuel economy isn't great either only 43-44 mpg :( ouch .

·
Registered
12 Posts
got the following response from kia re my cars poor cold starting and running

Thank you for your email about your Kia Picanto.

Kia Motors (UK) Ltd is aware a small number of Kia Picantos are experiencing an issue with the cold start. The Technical Department within Kia Motors (UK) Ltd have referred the issue to Kia Korea for assistance.

Kia
Korea, have actioned a software update that will rectify the issue, we
are now at the stage of writing and programming the update. Before
the update can be released to the dealer network in the UK, the update
needs to be thoroughly tested to ensure optimal performance for our
customers.

Once
the update is released to the dealer network, a Technical Service
Bulletin (TSB) will be released - they will then be in a position to
contact any customers they have that are experiencing these difficulties
and arrange for the work to be carried out.

Unfortunately we are unable to say what temperature the vehicles are tested as the cars are tested under laboratory conditions.

On
behalf of Kia Motors (UK) Ltd I apologise for any frustration or
inconvenience this may be causing you and I would like to take this time
to thank you for your ongoing patience while we resolve this matter.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact Kia Motors (UK) Ltd.

Yours sincerely

Barbara Davis
<h3 style="text-align:left" align="left">Customer Service</h3>
0845 6017521

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great news about the software update for cold start ups. Hope it improves the fuel economy a bit. Thank you KIA look forward to book it in at dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi kevvo,yep like u had the same problems,been to dealer nothing wrong with car,well now have covered 5000 miles,lovely little car let down by grossly over inflated fuel economy figures,well picanto fans GOODBYE,have just purchased another make take delive next week,shame as kia are not interested in there customers problems even after all the e/mails i sent them direct,bowing out happy driving peakie.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kevvo said:
Great news about the software update for cold start ups. Hope it improves the fuel economy a bit. Thank you KIA look forward to book it in at dealership.

COLD START PROBLEMS AGAIN!!!!! Car been great for the last few weeks because the weather has been mild. As soon as it gets cold again it takes five turns of the engine to get it going cranking over for upto 20 seconds. Getting a bit annoyed now waiting for software update, just waiting for car to break down or fail to start. Losing confidance in the picanto

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kia customer services been in touch today. Software update for cold start problems is available just book it in at the dealership and they will sort it. THANK YOU KIA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi kia customer services. how about a reply to everyone on forum regarding new picanto fuel consumption problems. as a new kia customer if u read previous queries on forum from me i find im not the only one suffering very poor mpg. downsised car for economy purposes and find im worse of than when i had my citroen c3 2010 model 1.4. i currently have done 600 miles in my picanto 1 1.0 and reckon im getting around 39mpg which is way short of my other car citroen c1 1.0 which delivers almost 60mpg. on this comparison which i may add both cars do the same journeys on a weekly basis the picanto comes up way short. should i be returning car or like everybody else have to remain bitterly disappointed in economy of car. not anywhere near figures quoted from kia regarding mpg.robert

1 - 20 of 67 Posts