Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So have this problem with my 2012 venga 1.4crdi for a while now , it struggles when cold starting (i.e. if its been sitting for more than a few hours or over night) the car will usually take about 15 maybe more seconds or 2 to 3 attempts to start holding the key over.

Ive replaced the glow plugs. reconditioned the diesel injectors. cleaned the EGR valve, a return line on the fuel filter had to clipped back into place. Battery reads 12.05v on a reading when car isn't started

Also its been serviced fuel filter was replaced.

Puff of smoke when it does start... No power loss... runs fine... starts fine when warmed up even after an hour or 2.

Injectors have just been reconditioned . checked at time of writing fuel filter charging bulb is hard/pressurized

any ideas would be a great help

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
!2 v is very low. Fully charged battery will be about 13.2v resting.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Check and/or re-make/clean all earth connections. Battery to body. Body to engine. And of course those on the battery itself.
If this is the original battery it may need replacing. Bad earth will affect both the usable voltage and the proper charging. If it has ISG I would turn it off. Mine of that vintage never worked properly, though I later models with better software/parameters did. Very good mpg though mine was the 1.6 which was more frugal. (ironically) I was sad to have to change to the petrol auto. (Arthritis clutch knee!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out the link below this is ow it starts currently

video on the start

The alternator is charging the battery (on run its getting 13.9 - 14.1V) . but would you think this is still low?

I performed a continuity across the body engine battery with my multimeter and everything seemed fine. It belled out at 001...

the check engine light lit up on the dashboard today and so I brought to the ever helpful mechanic. It was a DPF/exhaust sensor giving a faulty reading, that's been factory reset.

lets see if any positive results

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Yes I think that is still low. Clearly the charging system is working but I still think the battery is low.

Measuring connection resistance with a multimeter is not at all helpful when dealing with very chunky cables and connectors.. The starter motor will draw (say) about 400 amps when cranking. At 12 V this is equivalent to 0,03 ohms load. If the connections are also 0.03 ohms the cranking current will be halved to 200 A and the voltage seen by the rest of the system will be 6V. Your DMM cannot measure that low resistance.

You may be getting odd sensor codes also because the battery is in poor condition - if that battery is original then it has done well to last this long. How much have you spent chasing this and how much is a new battery?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts