Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Have put turbo in car, pics soon, and it picks up fine, however, yesterday turned the cold start to see if would tick over for mornings and night call outs to HMCG's. Kept turning and the rev counter kept climbing to past 4000 so turned back to 'off'. Should this cable only increase the revs a bit as on my old nissan it only went up in revs a few hundred?
Can the excelerator and the cold start become confused

Thanks Steve Gx blackpool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi. Have put turbo in car, pics soon, and it picks up fine, however, yesterday turned the cold start to see if would tick over for mornings and night call outs to HMCG's. Kept turning and the rev counter kept climbing to past 4000 so turned back to 'off'. Should this cable only increase the revs a bit as on my old nissan it only went up in revs a few hundred?
Can the excelerator and the cold start become confused

Thanks Steve Gx blackpool

Never had to use mine at all in 8 years not sure the need is there as the handbook says to use it until the temperaturegaugestarts to move which if going by how slow it moves from cold on a cold day would be about 25-30 mins if left standing. I would imagine it should only move a few hundred revs as my Nissan Kubistar van doesn't have one but raises the revs from 800 to around 1100 rpms
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bruno1926 said:
stevegx said:
Hi. Have put turbo in car, pics soon, and it picks up fine, however, yesterday turned the cold start to see if would tick over for mornings and night call outs to HMCG's. Kept turning and the rev counter kept climbing to past 4000 so turned back to 'off'. Should this cable only increase the revs a bit as on my old nissan it only went up in revs a few hundred?
Can the excelerator and the cold start become confused

Thanks Steve Gx blackpool

Never had to use mine at all in 8 years not sure the need is there as the handbook says to use it until the temperaturegaugestarts to move which if going by how slow it moves from cold on a cold day would be about 25-30 mins if left standing. I would imagine it should only move a few hundred revs as my Nissan Kubistar van doesn't have one but raises the revs from 800 to around 1100 rpms
Yes same with my Nissan Vanettee. Colid start turned knob on cable and only increased by about 250 revs when fully turned. Sedona Gary thinks accelerator cable my need ajusting as the 'choke'is attached to the acc' pedal.
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI. Treating myself on Monday to a diagnostic at the dealers for this prob. to clear there is not an electrical or sensorprob. They can muck about with the throttle and idle cable then.I always receive a courtesy car now which is great for the things I do. No car no... well you know how it is.
Steve Gx Blackpool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
stevegx said:
HI. Treating myself on Monday to a diagnostic at the dealers for this prob. to clear there is not an electrical or sensorprob. They can muck about with the throttle and idle cable then.I always receive a courtesy car now which is great for the things I do. No car no... well you know how it is.
Steve Gx Blackpool
Steve
Without using the cold start what does the car tick over at normally? If the problem only happens when you use the cold start then the problem is likely to be there rather than a sensor. When you changed the engine you ould have had to disconnect the throttle cable from the pump( its the cable the goes around the back of the pumpm and is held by a screw thread with a hole in it and and a nut. As sedona Gary says thats where the problem most likely lays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bruno1926 said:
stevegx said:
HI. Treating myself on Monday to a diagnostic at the dealers for this prob. to clear there is not an electrical or sensorprob. They can muck about with the throttle and idle cable then.I always receive a courtesy car now which is great for the things I do. No car no... well you know how it is.
Steve Gx Blackpool
Steve
Without using the cold start what does the car tick over at normally? If the problem only happens when you use the cold start then the problem is likely to be there rather than a sensor. When you changed the engine you ould have had to disconnect the throttle cable from the pump( its the cable the goes around the back of the pumpm and is held by a screw thread with a hole in it and and a nut. As sedona Gary says thats where the problem most likely lays.
The engine was changed elswhere, not my self, so if cable removed could have 'slipped' recently. The tick over is fine normal, however, the acceleration prior to the turbo blowing wasbetter than at present. The cold start cable prob was an accidental find!
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool (4th in league now).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All. Sedona went tio dealers Monday for diagnostic and 'cold start' excelerator cable. They gave mecar for the day, rang me at 4pm and all was well and there would be NO charge not even the £81 diag plug in. I thought that was brill. After the work I've done on the car it was great to receive a possitive feedback from the dealer and not pay too.
Steve Gx Blackpool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
702 Posts
stevegx said:
Hi All. Sedona went tio dealers Monday for diagnostic and 'cold start' excelerator cable. They gave mecar for the day, rang me at 4pm and all was well and there would be NO charge not even the £81 diag plug in. I thought that was brill. After the work I've done on the car it was great to receive a possitive feedback from the dealer and not pay too.
Steve Gx Blackpool
Result
Was there a problem with it or not ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi no problem they said don't turn it that high! Turbo pulls in at lower speeds now, 20-50mph. This was better than in at 70 and pulling away to 100 plus. Steve Gx Blackpopl
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top