Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08 Sedona GS. Couple of questions:

1. It has a JVC radio but we weren't given a code by the garage we bought it from and they said they didn't think it would need one. Is this true? Don't want to be caught out if we ever disconnect the battery. If it should have one would we get it from a Kia dealer?

2. It has just turned 70000mls. As far as I can see in the owners manual the mileage for a cambelt on a diesel is 100,000mls. Again is this correct, or should we be looking at getting it done sooner rather than later?

Thanks in advance

Ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that was my thoughts anyway tbh.

Anybody any ideas if my cd/radio will have a security code??

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the front panel comes off as security, No! otherwise yes! Call a Kia Main Dealer with your reg no, it will cost you a few quid, they should be able to help you out. Cam belt usually changes around 60 - 70 thou miles I think, Bruno will have the answer!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kenrum, Thanks to recent battery shenanigans i have had the battery in and out of my newly acquired 2007 Sedona LS about half a dozen times over the last week. Wife killed the battery on her first shot of my new beast. Anyway...the JVC radio/CD player has came back on first time with no need to faff about with any codes either.

I'd imagine yours is the same.

Similarly on the timing belt. Mines has 80K on the clock and the dealer, a small one man operation with a gravel forecourt and no glass palace to speak of told me and has provided a receipt and letter of verification that he had the belt done as soon as he acquired her. Yes i also noted it says 100K mls in the owners manual but if a dealer like that thinks it worth it i'd suggest doing it as soon as financially possible

Regards
Cavey

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kenrum said:
Thanks, that was my thoughts anyway tbh.

Anybody any ideas if my cd/radio will have a security code??
I've got a 2006 2.9 crdi TS with a JVC stereo and was wondering the same - have checked the manual that came with the car and no mention of having to enter a code - so assume it doesn't need one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the replies. Yes, I called the local Kia dealer regarding the radio and he confirmed no code is required. He did say there was a worst case scenario if the ECU died where the radio might need re-programmed by them to get it working again, but it was a very unlikely event, and I think the radio would be the least of your worries if it happened!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thanks for the information I am thinking of changing my battery and was concerned about having to re - code the stereo which is a JVC - so it looks like I can just go ahead

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok thought I'd ask this here seeing as its about JVC sound system.
Can the JVC system be switched on and off without having to use the ignition key? Mine only seems to work when I have the key in and turned to the first position

·
Registered
207 Posts
Absolutely normal.It's so you can't leave the radio on when leaving the car - for example if you park at an airport for a couple of weeks.

Just an example - when I have passengers I turn the radio volume virtually to silent so that the RDS Traffic still comes through loud enough to hear. If it was not through the ACC position I could inadvertently leave it on and flatten the battery over a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
422 Posts
madbouncer said:
Ok thought I'd ask this here seeing as its about JVC sound system.
Can the JVC system be switched on and off without having to use the ignition key? Mine only seems to work when I have the key in and turned to the first position
I've just checked mine - no it doesn't work unless the key is in the ignition - apart from ejecting the cd. I know what you mean I have a Vauxhall Vectra and if you press the on button, without the ignition key in the barrel, the stereo comes on for about 30mins and then switches itself off. A lot of Ford radios are the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, same here, needs the key in. It's a bit inconvenient if you're just parked up somewhere and want to listen to some music.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cheers for the replies lads, I understand the thinking now although it is inconvenient, my old frontera used to give you an hour of listening without the key in the ACC position a similar set up would prevent a drained battery in this old wagon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts