Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys, need some tech help! noticed a slip on clutch when accelerating from 2nd to 3rd at about 2200 rpm , clutch slips and revs upto 2800 rpm then settles back down to 2200 rpm ???when pulling off from parked the clutch engages in first gear at the bottom of pedal, and stalls in 3rd 0r 5th so dont think its the friction plate?? however when driving a light touch of clutch pedal does cause slippage, I am thinking its the pressure plate?????? Been a long time since i worked on cars and never worked on a front wheel drive car (to modern
)
Would assume if pressure plate its covered by the big 7 year W ?? Mega bucks to sort no doubt !!
Looked through previous topics and not seen this as a common prob, all help and input gratefully received

regards
Geoff

·
Registered
887 Posts
almost certainly a failed dual mass flywheel, shouldn't be a problem under warranty, do bear with them though, as each case has to be submitted with pictures to kia tech for authorisation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks murphwiz, never knew about a dual mass flywheel until i googled it 10 mins ago
Does seem to be it ! have got intermittent clutch slip, Booked in for Monday MOT & service so would presume they will keep it ? will talk to garage tomoz and explain problem with clutch as i told them i was prob the pressure plate, tho im sure continued driving for either will result in excessive wear friction plate?? As i said before not up to speed with modern cars vivas , cortinas, hillman hunters & heralds was more my bag, but good was they unreliable

Again many thanks for your help.
Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH well car went in today for service and MOT, that went well but the clutch issue not so good, told clutches not covered
I did point out if mechanical failure was to blame then i would expect it to be!! They took my car for a test drive after service and found no clutch faults? So going to have it for a few days on the 21st.My problem does seem to be intermittent ? now thinking is it normal?? Drive car under 2000revs great but boot it down 2200 rev mark and rev counter flicks up to 2800??? (sometimes) Did give car a good hammering tonight on way home and alas no slipping clutch ????
So my next question must be has anyone else noticed this with their 2.0 ltr sport, not by chance something to do with turbo or the dual mass flywheel doing what they should be doing????
Hope murphwiz can assist me again
dont want to book car in and garage open up clutch to find nothing wrong and then stuff me up with the huge bill!!!!!!
Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always keep foot off pedal and on the foot rest provided. never ride the clutch or ever needed to replace a clutch in any car i have owned in the past, yes i do understand the basics of a clutch and i dont abuse it, just seems to be a problem with this one, maybe something to do with the DMF ???suppose Mr KIA will find the fault when they have it in later in month, need to find out about this DMF not sure if my old Toyota or VW had them ?????
Thanks for your input
Regards
geoff

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the 2.0 sport, I've owned it since december, I noticed the exact same on Sunday, accelerating up a slight hill in second when I felt a slip, I immediatle let go of the the throttle then it settled down, have to admit it was worrying, I immediately googled clutch costs, I hope it won't come to a replacement as the cheapest I could see was about £280. Then there's the fitting cost on top

·
Registered
455 Posts
This may be a long shot but worth checking, my son has the 2l diesel sport and he bought it used from kia dealer, about 1-2 months into ownership he started having cluch probs with it slippingand becoming more difficult to get gears, until he soon had complete cluch failure, called RAC turned out to be fluid loss even though it wasn't dripping onto the floor, he topped up the fluid pumped the pedal a few times and it had gone,it was going into the gearbox apparently. the RAC guy said it was a common fault on this type of set up, it ended up being towed to the dealer who, at first were reluctant to do it on warranty but eventualy did but it took about 2-3 weeks to get the parts and do the job as I remember. the car gad about 17000 miles on at the time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for your valued input, was told by my KIA garage that they have not had DMF probs on the ceed?? Its a catch 22 ! have to let them do it for mega bucks and hope its a part failure!!! Will get all the parts back if i have to pay, would presume the clutch fluid level was checked y/day on service and the clutch still slips under load in 2nd 3rd & 4th gears today. 1st gear no probs tho ??If i take it to a cheaper non KIA garage and its parts failure can see probs getting dosh back of KIA !
however if i let KIA garage who supplied car some 12000 miles ago will demand help with getting dosh from KIA, lets face it 12000 miles for me and 8750 done by some KIA guy (KIA CAR) should not result in clutch replacement this early!!!
good news is salesman who sold me this car still working for them so i have got someone to get hold of (literally)
im the red one LOL.
I not someone who gets mugged off, and KIA will have a fight on their hands if im out of pocket!
Car goes in on 21st for a few days for them to diagnose problem, will update as this tale unfolds.
Regards and thankyou
Geoff

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mines slipped again tonight on the motorway at 70 in sixth. It beats me because after it happened I tried to recreate it and it wouldn't happen,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi fraser.That is the same for me, try to re create and may or may not slip??? If i select 2nd 3rd or 4th at 2000 revs and boot it down it mostly slips then, give it a go. mine in next wednesday and hoping they notice the slip or at least hear the engine, sounds like an automatic changing gear????Oh well s**t happens, have to wait and see what they come up with.
Did your car come from a KIA dealer? if so take it back to them as you have only had it a short time, i would take it back even if it was a back street boy!!! Been and done in past and with a good result.
Let you know who i get on, tho it does seem to be the DMF, and i DO see that as down to KIA and not me!!!
Regards
Geoff

·
Registered
887 Posts
The dmf does not come with a clutch kit.

Cee'ds themselves do not have dmf problems, but the 2.0 diesel engine does, and its a realitivley rare beast in the cee'd. same engine used in carens and sportage, for some reason it always seems to be the carens the exhibts this fault, seen and done a fair few, not isolated cases at all, each one has had to have pictures of play etc sent to kia tech to be authorised.
Bad ones will give you a vibration through the clutch pedal if your stationary and in neutral, rest foot on clutch, you can feel it.
Usually if your in third with a bit of an incline, around 2k revs, just absolutely nail it, it will start giving a bit of slip around 2300rpm as peak torque hits it, usually by 2800 rpm the flywheel has caught up and alls good til the next time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That sounds alot like the actions of mine, it doesn't always happen, when it does my heart sinks, I'm really happy with the 2.0 sport. I'm a professional driver by trade, I didn't buy the car to race every Tom dick and Harry, I just like to have to torque to get me out of the way of other road users when needed, 99% of the time I'm travelling at the speed limit and don't really race to get that speed.. I did notice a very slight vibrating through the clutch peddle in Birmingham traffic on Tuesday just before the slip on the motorway, but been out today and didn't really feel anything.
I'll bear with it till April then if it happens again I'll put her into Kia. If she need some dollar throwing at her then so beit..

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks morphwiz, you seem to know your onions, wish you worked in my local KIA garage!!So presume its putting wear on friction plate? or is it just causing more damage to DMF ???
Not sure as to my KIA garages attitude to this problem as they were very quick to say clutches are not covered!!! Oh well soon find out.

Fraser , will keep you up to speed with mine, if you got yours from a KIA garage then chuck it back at them given the short time you have had it!! I would do it asap !!! My stance would be you sold me a defective car VERY loudly on a busy saturday morning, they will want to shut you up !!!
Regards
GEOFF

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i would still go back to them !! you never know, did the same when the wife came home with a second hand car years ago, her dad looked over it said it was ok so she parted with a grand!!!When i looked at it had no option but to take it back and demanded they put things right or return the grand , well they did just that and she kept it for about 4 years, so that all ended well, if you dont ask you dont get, nothing to lose but you may gain something ? give them a ring.
regards
geoff

Edited by: geoff 57

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update for slipping clutch, Booked in today for diag.sods law!! on way to garage this morning no slip?? 15 miles to garage so nice and warm! They had the car for the day and took it out for about 45mins and thought it did something a miss just once but could not get a repeat, as the problem was so very slight they have now asked me to continue driving until it gets worse so they can find problem, said its probably oil contamination as no clutch judder present ? reminded me that i have a 7year w/tee, although upon first contact with them was told clutches not covered, well friction plate as we all know is not but all the rest should be?? Did asked if this slip is on DMF will it result in damage to clutch or just continue to worsen the DMF problem only, never really got an answer????
So carry on regardless and see what goes bang, but at least its now logged on the system as a fault.
Regards
Geoff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts