Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Sorento KX2 just over 1yr old and am havening clutch problems with no joy with Kia, I first reported the clutch smelling in July 2010 and last week whilts on holiday in Devon I had the most embarasing moment when reverse parking the caravan into position the smoke from the engine and smell was unbeleivable,it continued to smell 3 days later. Havening had a Sorento before for approx 6 and a half years never missed a beat I am now regretting changing as this model doesnt seem to be up to the job in hand.Has anyone had the same problems please and if so what has been done.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Your Dual Mass Flywheel may be on its way out. When it is smoking, its burning. Are you getting any juddering when you pull away? If so that is distortion, a prelude to the DMF breaking up. We had this with a Ford Focus, luckily replaced under warranty. If Kia refuse to replace it under warranty go ballistic at them. The clutch should last for a lot more than a year? Unfortunately they are nota cheap item to replace if you have to fund it yourself, I could not even guess the cost for a Sorento.
If you wish to avoid the burning in future, have a motor mover fitted and use it everytime you need to reverse.
Lindyloo, I hope you are able to resolve this with Kia, good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Lindy loo, i too have a KX2 and i have noyced a burning smell when manoeuvring with something on the back -- though not as bad as yours sounds. Ihave had other problems with this car, see KIA SORENTO MK3 on this Forum, i am currently discussing a noisy engine with KIA, ( Diesel chatter on small throttle openings) but i have tried a couple of other examples and they seem nearly as bad as mine. I also had a MK1 EX for 7 years which never missed a beat -- thats why i went for the MK3. If i was purchasing again it would not be the Sorento.
Good luck with your discussions with Kia, if no luck with Kia Technical -- try customer service at head office and go right to the top.

·
Registered
439 Posts
murphwiz said:
If you slip a clutch it will smell and smoke, adjust your driving to suit.
Clever reply - NOT REALLY!!!!!

Edited by: Oldsalt

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, i too have had a clutch & flywheelburn out after 4000 miles and the car was only 7 weeks old and like you i had no joy with kia and had to pay the £3000 to get my KX2 fixed back in December last year
i do believe they have got a problem with the clutch but until other owners have the problem andKia issue a recall and admit there is a problem with the clutch you will have to pay to get it fixed, i do symathise with you my car was only 7 weeks old and i had to pay so i can only imagine how the customer services have phobbed you off andblamed the problem on driver errorgood luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everybody just letting you know Kia have sorted my problem out and to those who accused my driving it was nothing to do with that I am an experienced and carefull driver and have never slipped the clutch on any car. Top marks for the warranty.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thats great news Lindyloo, good result. Are you going to say what they did, or are you going to keep it to yourself?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a new clutch and fly wheel replaced and can only praise customer services the work was carried out under the warranty. So I can only say if anyone gets a problem you must contact customer services.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Very good result!! I hope my local dealer is as good?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bry,
If it gets to the point of making a burning smell, it is creating heat. It is the heat that does the damage as it causes the clutch/flywheel to start distorting and eventually fail. I never reverse my caravan with the car and use a motor mover, although now I have a automatic.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
When i had manual cars for towing, most makes had clutch smell of some degree when reversing asyouhave to slip clutch to start.The more reversing the more smell.I always now tow with auto and no problem.I will never go back to manual as a tow car.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi guys

I had the old sorento mk1 had loads of probs with it, had to have a new short engine due to lower crank pully shearing off.

So put it in part ex for a 2010 santa fe with the new 2.2 196bhp engine which i think is the same as in the new sorento, the santa fe was great untill

as i was reversing up my drive the smell from the clutch was terrible i drove it in the snow last year and had to go up a small hill when the wheels span again the smell was bad so i went and had a look on the sf forum to see if anyone else was having the same problem there were loads all saying about clutch burn when reversing, towing , driving in the snow etc so it seems to be a common fault to kia and hyundai.

http://www.hyundaiownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?id=11

PS you may have to join to get the info left the link for you regards phil
Edited by: proac

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Kia Sorrento2 November 2011. currently touring In Europe with caravan whilst in Luxembourgh reversed van slowly 20yds at camp sight, smoke b illowed from under the bonnet, thougth car was on fire, vehicle jammed in reverse until left for an hour to cool down. Took vehicle to Kia dealer i L'bourgh said it would not be covered under warranty. Continueing with our tour clutch smell gradually dispersing, seems to tow ok but judders in first gear when pulling away. Will do battle with Kia when return to the uk, if we make it!

·
Registered
439 Posts
RWN,
I have suggested this other manual Sorento owners that tow caravans. Get a motor mover fitted, they are cheaper than new Dual Mass Flywheels. I hope you survive your trip and get a warranty replacement on your return to old Blighty.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I totally agree with Odsalt, itdoesn'tmatter what make of vehicle you have,a mover that can now be bought for £500 nowadays is far cheaper than a new clutch.I have Auto which is no problem, but i still use my mover for shunting about caravan, and it is not because i cant reverse,i have been caravanning 40 years.I have only used a mover for the last 6 years.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the clutch burning smell every time I recover my boat on a slipway or when reversing up my very shallow gradient drive .... the dual mass flywheel design and lack of Low Ratio is a SERIOUS flaw in the Sorento design, at least with reagards to towing capability.

I reported it to KIA customer Service ... this was the response from Luke Gardiner:

"I
can assure you we have had no known complaint regarding the
clutches we have fitted to our Sorento's.
"

It seems all the complaints about clutch issues are UNKNOWN to Kia

If you experience the problem please report it to : [email protected]
if enough do this they will have to take notice.

Edited by: sargan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts