Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how thick the clutch plates should be when new and at what point (thickness and mileage) they recommend they should be replaced please?

I finally have the broken reconditionedgearbox out of the Sedona and it lookslike it was reconditioned by a butcher. There are chunks missing from the casting behind the dust cover plate.

As it looks like the gearbox was done on the cheap I want to see if the clutch was replaced (sensible) at the same time (I doubt).

Cheers

Pat

·
Registered
702 Posts
Patman1200 said:
Can anyone tell me how thick the clutch plates should be when new and at what point (thickness and mileage) they recommend they should be replaced please?

I finally have the broken reconditionedgearbox out of the Sedona and it lookslike it was reconditioned by a butcher. There are chunks missing from the casting behind the dust cover plate.

As it looks like the gearbox was done on the cheap I want to see if the clutch was replaced (sensible) at the same time (I doubt).

Cheers

Pat
Pat
The l gives the thicknesses as

PRESSURE PLATE SIDE 0.138" or 3.5mm

FLYWHEEL SIDE 0.161 or 4.1mm

but to be truthful the best way to check is to look at the rivests on the plate 1 set is deeper than the other set, look at the shallower set and if there is little on them then change. If it was me and to save the trouble of having to remove the gearbox again I would replace the 3 part clutch set as a unit just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest I was going to spend out the money and get a Borg and Beck clutch anyway. I was more after the info to see if the clutchwas replaced when the recon gearbox was fitted to see how well maintained the engine has been (not confident!)

As an aside the clutch centre has the same splines and fitting as a Land Rover Defender ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts