Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’ve a 2017 optima 1.7 diesel with 28k miles. I’ve had the car a few months and have noticed a ‘ping’ sound when I dip the clutch pedal. It isn’t every time but it is does occur regularly. It doesn’t have any impact on charging gear or performance. However, I can ‘feel’ the ‘ping’ thru the clutch pedal. It sounds like a wire under tension being plucked. Kia dealer couldn’t hear it so couldn’t diagnose, advised me to wait till something happens! I’m unsure if it’s just a normal sound that comes with certain kia models?
any suggestions on what this could be would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I can ‘feel’ the ‘ping’ thru the clutch pedal.
Welcome to the forum, ‘Mutley66’.

Not being familiar with the manual version of the Optima, I haven’t experienced the clutch action so I can’t really identify the source of your problem, but let’s hope it’s not your hamstring!

The fact that it isn’t consistent makes it difficult to identify but I would have expected the KIA dealer to have examined the linkage, floor mats, pedal box and so on, thereby ruling out any impingement by the usual suspects. Am I right to imagine that the clutch is hydraulic? If so, there is little in the way of external interference which might bring about the ‘ping’ as you put it.

That being the case, gearbox removal would be required in an attempt to identify the source and a replacement clutch might resolve the issue. However, as it happens only sporadically and doesn’t affect anything else, it would probably be like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

If it continues or gets worse, then you need to get back to the dealer but it may improve and become unnoticeable as time goes by? I don’t think there are many forum members who own the manual version of the current Optima model but someone might have some knowledge of the kind of annoying clutch action you complain of. By way of guesswork, I’m thinking that it could be a faulty release bearing mechanism or a dodgy spring leaf in the pressure plate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I noticed this post although have an old Piccanto. We have a resident 'mouse' in our clutch pedal. It squeaks -sometimes, when clutch depressed , not when released. I have often sprayed WD40 in the direction of the top of the pedal.It goes away and comes back perhaps depending on the temperature. A ping sounds worse but is it localized to the pedal area. Perhaps a dry return spring there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mutley66,

I've got a 67 plate optima 3 manual which displayed a similar, if not exactly the same ping noise from the clutch pedal last year when almost depressed fully. I ignored it thinking it was a 'feature' of the car ?

After a few months, something broke on the clutch pedal inside the foot well and the ping disappeared. I had a search and found a smallish spring that had broken and was clearly the culprit. It's important to note that the clutch was still fully functional and if anything, much lighter to depress, not that the optima had a heavy clutch in the first place.

I knew it would be a bad idea to not get it sorted, so contacted my Kia main dealer who booked me straight in and had the broken clutch pedal spring replaced under warranty with no quibbles whatsoever.

The clutch was back to normal for about 6 months but I'm noticing the little ping beginning to come back.

I'm not at all worried by it breaking again, so will just go back to get it sorted with the dealer if it does happen to break a second time, but maybe it won't...

Hope this helps, but as always use the dealer for any concerns you may have.

Cheers

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive experienced this on other non Kia vehicles cant remember exacly what the culprit was, take a good look under the dash with a light and see if there is anything catching on the spring attaced to the pedal while someone exersizes the pedal. Maybe you just need to re-seat the spring a bit with some pliers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts