Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my ,63 ceed sw has had a low biting point since I bought it at 26 months old with 127k miles on it. After 9 months I had a new genuine clutch put in. The biting point moved a little upwards, nothing really. After a further two years plus, I'm starting to think it's biting a bit lower, about two to three cm of the floorboards. I've read as much as I can about the subject without finding the definitive answer. I'm assuming the clutch itself is ok. I've looked at the slave cylinder rod and it appears to start moving as soon as my assistant says the pedal is pressed. There's no sign of a leak or any indication of any air in the system. I'm happy to put in a new master cylinder, just not convinced it will raise the biting point. The clutch pedal is at a similar height to that of the brake pedal. When you press it by hand it goes down a bit (3cm ish) before more resistance is felt.

I know other kia models have been reported with this problem, is it a master cylinder fault?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I'm not convinced that changing the clutch master cylinder (and the slave) will cure the problem, or even lift the biting point up a bit. The master cylinder is £72 delivered for the original kia part. Perhaps it's just a build up of tolerances in some cars that make them like this. I'll only actually do something when it starts becoming difficult to drive. I've got a more pressing rough tickover/low speed running problem that needs to be looked at. I'm going to change the diesel fuel filter and clean out the egr valve. I've an mot going up in June, need to get it through then I'll get rid later on in year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine is the same, 72k miles. Low biting point, near the floor around 1 inch away. Clutch replaced under warranty at 25k miles and no other issues, doesn't slip and judder.

I asked Kia to check and they said they'd need to strip down to check everything, could be warranty otherwise I'd have to pay so I'm not risking it.

I wonder if the system just needs bleeding? Have you tried that?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm tempted to put a new master cylinder on. On ebay there's a valeo one for less than £30, it's for a lhd ceed, the photos look the sane as the one for the rhd car. Might buy one and fit, still unsure that that would fettle it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rather than replace the master cylinder, I again searched the internet, this time for low biting point hyundai. Found a solution fairly quickly. The master cylinder has a fluid damper next to it, this needs to be removed and a m16 1.5 sump plug inserted. I haven't done it yet, it sounds plausible to me. The main dealers should know this, but they don't, I replaced my full clutch because a service manager said it would be a weak cover plate. I'll post here the results, it's a simple job with a quick bleed afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rather than replace the master cylinder, I again searched the internet, this time for low biting point hyundai. Found a solution fairly quickly. The master cylinder has a fluid damper next to it, this needs to be removed and a m16 1.5 sump plug inserted. I haven't done it yet, it sounds plausible to me. The main dealers should know this, but they don't, I replaced my full clutch because a service manager said it would be a weak cover plate. I'll post here the results, it's a simple job with a quick bleed afterwards.
Did you try this workaround? I've got a '63 Ceed SW and I'm really having to dig the clutch pedal into the carpet to get the gears to engage without grinding. I don't think the clutch is worn yet as no sign of slipping, but I guess in this state with it never completely disengaging, it will be wearing out quicker than it should.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, firstly low speed judder has now gone due to a few doses of millers diesel additive. I tried the clutch damper mod which had no effect. The repeated bleeding gave me 6 months of slightly higher bitting point. Now with winter here it’s getting bad again. Not sure what I’ll do, need to keep the car a while longer. It’s on 181k now, engine is beautiful. Had the car 4 yrs now, only paid £5450 so not complaining. If I make any headway will report back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts