Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently purchased a Kia Sportage 1.7 CRDI 16 plate 46000 miles.

I have experienced 3 problems

1, Clutch Judder
2, A noise which sounds like a bearing failing but appears to be Castelation of the tyres caused by suspension geometry.
3, Rear windscreen heater burnt out, this is an inconvenience more than a problem.

The judder, I am just adding to the chorus
The tyres how big a problem is this?
Regards Mally

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi
I recently purchased a Kia Sportage 1.7 CRDI 16 plate 46000 miles.

I have experienced 3 problems

1, Clutch Judder
2, A noise which sounds like a bearing failing but appears to be Castelation of the tyres caused by suspension geometry.
3, Rear windscreen heater burnt out, this is an inconvenience more than a problem.

The judder, I am just adding to the chorus
The tyres how big a problem is this?
Regards Mally
The clutch judder seems to be a big issue with the Sportage. Its the reason i got rid of mine. It drove me mad. The car almost 'kangarood' in 1st and 2nd once hot and the clutch pedal vibrated noticeably . I thought the magic 7 year warranty would help me out but alas no. The dealers were convinced it must be my driving style (had over 20 cars and never had to replace a clutch) and wanted money up front to diagnose the the 'possible' problem. Basically I wasn't getting a new clutch under warranty. Possibly considering the auto dct now.

Had the bearing noise too. Or something similar at least That turned out to be the mounting struts. Replaced under warranty. My symptoms only seemed to show when i was driving slowly and/or turning the wheel. Really apparent in car parks.

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts

Regards Mally
Is the noise present only when you are steering around corners and does it only appear in the cold weather? If it is then I agree with Wazz78, it's an issue with the struts. There is a fix which the dealer should do under warranty. My last Sportage was 2017 registration and it needed the fix. I haven't suffered any clutch judder on either of our Sportage's.

·
Banned
5,227 Posts
1) It seems that KIA are having issues with clutch judder on a variety of vehicles but AFAIK it has not been reported here on the Sportage. I suspect that the issues are to do with friction and flywheel materials. The prohibition of asbestos has caused changes in brake friction materials which also necessitates changes in the disc materials and leading to greater tendency for corrosion. I have a theory that similar changes have been made to clutch friction and flywheel materials leading to a greater tendency for corrosion, more so now with lockdown and damp weather. My old Avensis used to do this from time to time and I found that a proper granny start sorted it. Lots of rpm, lots of clutch slip and very slowly lift the clutch - what you are trying to do is polish the corrosion off of the flywheel.

2) Get your suspension geometry checked out - a good 4 wheel laser alignment as a starting point. Ask the place if they can see any signs of unusual pattern tyre wear.

3) Most HRWs are multi section so if the heater element itself fails you get patchy demisting. If yours does not work at all it might be a wiring or fuse issue rather than burnt out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
1) It seems that KIA are having issues with clutch judder on a variety of vehicles but AFAIK it has not been reported here on the Sportage. I suspect that the issues are to do with friction and flywheel materials. The prohibition of asbestos has caused changes in brake friction materials which also necessitates changes in the disc materials and leading to greater tendency for corrosion. I have a theory that similar changes have been made to clutch friction and flywheel materials leading to a greater tendency for corrosion, more so now with lockdown and damp weather. My old Avensis used to do this from time to time and I found that a proper granny start sorted it. Lots of rpm, lots of clutch slip and very slowly lift the clutch - what you are trying to do is polish the corrosion off of the flywheel.
Hi Turnup - not sure about that. When I was trying to determine/sort out the issue I must have come across at least half a dozen posts on this forum from people with exactly the same problem. The annoying thing was either people got nowhere with the dealers or if they did, they never came back and updated us!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The clutch judder seems to be a big issue with the Sportage. Its the reason i got rid of mine. It drove me mad. The car almost 'kangarood' in 1st and 2nd once hot and the clutch pedal vibrated noticeably . I thought the magic 7 year warranty would help me out but alas no. The dealers were convinced it must be my driving style (had over 20 cars and never had to replace a clutch) and wanted money up front to diagnose the the 'possible' problem. Basically I wasn't getting a new clutch under warranty. Possibly considering the auto dct now.

Had the bearing noise too. Or something similar at least That turned out to be the mounting struts. Replaced under warranty. My symptoms only seemed to show when i was driving slowly and/or turning the wheel. Really apparent in car parks.
The Juddering is worse for mine when cold and all but disappears when warm, but it is not consistent.

The noise is worse at speeds, but at slower speeds, it is worse when turning right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the noise present only when you are steering around corners and does it only appear in the cold weather? If it is then I agree with Wazz78, it's an issue with the struts. There is a fix which the dealer should do under warranty. My last Sportage was 2017 registration and it needed the fix. I haven't suffered any clutch judder on either of our Sportage's.
The noise is worse at cruising speeds 60mph but can get louder when turning right at large roundabouts at say 20 to 30 mph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

2) Get your suspension geometry checked out - a good 4 wheel laser alignment as a starting point. Ask the place if they can see any signs of unusual pattern tyre wear.

3) Most HRWs are multi section so if the heater element itself fails you get patchy demisting. If yours does not work at all it might be a wiring or fuse issue rather than burnt out.
Rear Heater, the bottom two elements still work, they will replace the rear screen.

Clutch Judder, see the other replies regarding getting rid of his Spotrtage because it's clutch judder

Mine is not 4 wheel drive but I feel something must be amiss, but the garage says it is how all modern vehicles are set up?

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
The noise is worse at cruising speeds 60mph but can get louder when turning right at large roundabouts at say 20 to 30 mph
That is not the same symptoms as I had on my previous car, when the outside temperature dropped below 10° the steering made a graunching sound when steering around corners. At speed and once the weather warmed that disappeared. Yours sounds a bit more serious.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hi Mally

We're sorry to see you have a few concerns. Please PM us with the reg so we can check for any campaigns on this model.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:

Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.