Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to the forum, didn’t even know it was a thing!
We own 2 Kia Rio’s, a white 2014 and a black Rio 2 2017, we bought the black one as the white was is possibly THE best car we’ve ever bought, owned it from 2016 with only 12,000 miles.
Have had nothing but issues with the new one though 😓
Last few months the clutch has juddered as you pull away in 1st, Hubbie blames my crappy driving until it did the same with him. The car is 3 years old with only 20,300 miles on the clock. I drive to work( 20 mins away) 5 days a week and a weekly supermarket run..So it’s not heavily used....

took it to our service dealer today who says the clutch is gone and needs replacing!!! It’s all covered in warranty etc but my concern is, is this common? I’ve been driving a long time and driven some real monsters over the years but never had a clutch go at such few miles or on such a new car?
i mean even if I was the worst driver on earth( my husband clearly thinks so haha) it still shouldn’t die like that surely?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, so I’ve just read that loads of people with the exact same issue, most who have the clutch replace then end up having a second one a few years later 😳
I haven’t seen any post relating to the newer models like mine though so would appreciate any feedback.
The dealer is replacing on warranty with no hesitation so am I right I’m guessing it’s not driver fault?

·
Registered
451 Posts
If dealer happy to replace then perhaps there is a known fault with this car.
With 2nd hand cars much also can depend on previous owners,also what type of journey the car is normally used for can have a big impact on mechanical wear,if used in city driving or areas where it has a lot of stop/start driving then the clutch will wear faster than country driving (ie a city car with 'only' 10,000 miles on clock can have had gazillion stop/starts and gear changes whereas a country car may not have that many stop/starts).
On a manual clutch car it is best not to 'slip' the clutch any more than absolutely necessary and make sure not to keep the left foot on the clutch pedal when cruising.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciate. I collected the car today clutch and fly wheel replaced under warranty. Asked the dealer what the issue was, he said they’ve seen a lot of that model have the same issue, although was very adamant it’s not a know fault. No driver misuse type wear.
It is a city car, work and back, supermarket and back etc. I owed a 10 year old car, had loads of previous owners and I kept it for A further 10 years and it never had new a clutch in it( that’s 20 years) it had done over 200,000 miles! Could be luck but I do wonder if it’s just a cheap clutch system, Same with lots of modern things these days, not built to last!
Our other Kia Rio is on 46,000 and hasn’t had a clutch either, done the same journeys etc and same driver!
Just a worry if it goes again in another 2 years? Seriously thinking about PXing her 😢

1 - 4 of 4 Posts