Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Clutch control is a fine art.
Agreed, but over my years of driving, we've been lucky to have 25ish cars in the family, 9 brand new, the rest varying from "as new" to "does THAT actually even start?!" lol, and none have EVER had a clutch like that, except for our track car years ago that had a cerametallic paddle racing clutch, that was either engaged or disengaged with almost nothing inbetween...

Irrespective of how much we've paid, it shouldn't be a lottery when we need to nip out at the busy junction near our house. An utter pain......

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
More rev's and either slip or dump the clutch.
It's not just the picanto, I get it on my Stonic.
Something else I have found is it parking car in gear and having a load on gearbox, seems to make it worse.
So I have started stopping engine and then putting into gear and leaving car with just a touch of handbrake on. Instead on no handbrake (we have a level drive)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Agreed, but over my years of driving, we've been lucky to have 25ish cars in the family, 9 brand new, the rest varying from "as new" to "does THAT actually even start?!" lol, and none have EVER had a clutch like that, except for our track car years ago that had a cerametallic paddle racing clutch, that was either engaged or disengaged with almost nothing inbetween...

Irrespective of how much we've paid, it shouldn't be a lottery when we need to nip out at the busy junction near our house. An utter pain......

But clutches are not the same as they used to be. See post #17 on this thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, just off the phone to Kia Arnold Clark who had our car today.

Boy oh boy, where do I start......get the popcorn and the coke bottles out people, this is a long one.

As well as the clutch issue, it was also in for a fuel filling issue as mentioned here:
Another issue with my brand new 1.25l Picanto GT Line -...

After calling 4 times over a half hour period, I eventually got thru to someone (they are having teething issues with their new phone system apparently) who attempted to put me thru to the Service Desk, but when the call was picked up, all I heard was a female laughing down the phone, and in between the laughing said "oh you look soooo funny" before continuing the laughing. There was then a tumbleweed silence when she realised the line was live (I kid you not), and after a comically lengthy uncomfortable silence, I cracked first and spoke, saying "hello there!" in an over the top cheery TV announcer type voice. She then proceeded as quickly as she could to put me thru to the Service Desk, who promptly told me that there was nothing wrong with the car, and what I was in experiencing was actually an "engine imbalance due to the 3 cylinder engine", unquote.

At this point, I said I’ve never heard such a nonsensical answer in over 20 years, and asked to speak to the Service Manager, who answered the phone with a "Mr. Nicholson?" Nope, not even close.......

I let him continue - yep, because our car is a 3 cylinder, it’s an engine imbalance and a cold start issue.
I then pointed out that our car ISNT the three cylinder 1.0 litre engine, but the FOUR cylinder 1.25, and so there is NO engine imbalance issue (makes you wonder how detailed their "thorough check" was!)

He then changed tact, and said that no, it’s definitely a cold start issue and not a clutch judder I’m experiencing.

I said I’d been driving for 35 years, had over 20 cars in the family, and, was he telling me I was mistaking a clutch judder thru my feet, occasionally so bad the car would literally jump, for an "engine imbalance?!"

When I pointed out that I knew exactly what clutch judder was, and what an imbalanced engine was (remember the very early VW 5 cylinder engines anyone ?!), he said that Kia wouldn’t touch a clutch judder under warranty as it's a "characteristic" of the car, then, in the same sentence said I don’t need to worry as the clutch is guaranteed for 2 years!

Head spinning ? It's about to come off - keep reading folks !

He then asked if I’d ever driven another Kia Picanto for comparison. I said funnily enough, yes - TWO Kia Picanto 1.25 GT-Line ultra-low mileage demonstrators, only a few weeks ago from 2 other branches, before we bought this one from them!
So, yes, I know exactly what kind of biting point and clutch to expect.

I then said to him, how do you know there ISNT an issue with the clutch, or, there isn’t a leak onto it etc?
I said to him look, in all honesty, it was a minor judder when it occurs, Id moan, but just leave it. But, when it’s bad, it’s BAD.

He then again said it’s a cold start issue and there have been ECU upgrades over the years to try and improve it, and that the fact it clears up when the car is warm, that proves it’s a cold start issue.

I said if the car has been sitting a day or 2, and we take it to work (7:30am Central Scotland isn’t the warmest...) it’s usually really bad, but it seems as if we are possibly burning off moisture ingress or something possibly dripping onto the clutch, so 5 or 6 hours later that day, it drives fine.

He then unbelievably said that no no no, 5 hours or so isn't long enough - the car / engine / god knows what wouldn’t be cold by then (!), and oil would still be draining out the head.

I pointed out that you’re lucky if it ever gets to 10 degrees outside, and, 5 hours after we switch the engine off, he was telling me the engine was still warm ?! (if thats the case why did it take the usual time for the temp guage to pass minimum - if it was still warm, it'd be moving in seconds....)

That was enough. I’d heard enough nonsense and said we were going round in circles, so what about the fuel filler issue?

He then told me that they had stripped the filler, removed the breather, and there were no issues found. I asked him one simple question - did anyone try and put some petrol in it? (petrol station is literally within a good drive and a 9 iron away).
Nope.

Apparently we are imagining that issue too.

I was then told that they actually, quote, "went above and beyond" looking into that issue due to the detailed note I had left explaining what was happening.

If that service is "above and beyond", the human race is doomed......

·
Super Moderator
3,362 Posts
Comes to something when the dealership can't even tell the difference between a 3 & 4 cyl engine... Really inspires confidence in anything they may do on a engine.....
TBH, with 2, 3 cyl cars in the household & the last Picanto was a 4 cyl. There is not a difference in actual driving smoothness.

Wonder what they would make a a single cyl bike....

I feel you pain.

Mind you I can go with the poor lass on the phone. When we got a new system that allowed reps to just transfer a customer through without warning. It is very easy to get caught out mid sentence with a colleague.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Have you pursued this with the dealer?
I'm sure that this could be politely escalated with them. Lay it on about your wife being frightened and ask them for a solution. Don't forget to tell them what a wonderful brand Kia is with its 7 year warranty, and you hope to buy another one in future.. Stick and carrot. Worked for me with VW several times.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Funny how the answer to clutch problems follows exactly according to who is paying. When I took my mother's Yaris in to sort out precisely the same clutch issue the emphatic answer was that the clutch needed replacing. I wasn't surprised by this answer because I knew it was the correct one. But of course I was paying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Have I pursued this with the dealer ?
Its the very garage we bought it from, and the person I spoke to was their Service Manager!

In the garages defense, the car, as had been used a fair bit in the days before it went in, was fine - literally no judder, so, if they took it a test drive, they'd probably scratch their head, and think the customer is either at it, or, its not doing it.

But, I had left a note in the car for whoever looked at it, explaining its usually real bad only if its been lying a while, saying if it wasn't acting up, they probably wouldn't find anything.

Where I am absolutely angry beyond belief, was the attempt to fob me off, not realising Ive had my arms inside piston chambers and bottom ends (oh err missus!) for 30 odd years, stripped and rebuilt engines for our track cars, tried to rebuild turbo's, and had the joys of dealing with the likes of the VANOS on our track BMW M3, and know a bull$hit fob off from 20 paces.
And to, when fobbing me off, get the type of engine in our car wrong....well.......yeah, enough said.

We had to ask twice for a copy of the job sheet / note of what was done, and got an email reply this morning, that said :

"We checked the vehicle for the complaints of judder from clutch on pick up of drive and fuel filling issue, not accepting fuel easily.
We tested clutch performance, inspected operation of all visible components and could not confirm the complaint at time of testing.
We removed the fuel filler neck and breathers, inspected for any obstructions, blockages or kinks, no visible defect found. Internal inspection of tank from filler neck attachment inspected ok.
Could not see any defect that could cause complaint.
"

Nowhere did it mention that it was an "engine imbalance or cold start issue, so my wife emailed him asking to clarify what was actually done, and how we proceed from here if / when the issue comes back, and in his reply he totally bodyswerved the "engine imbalance" excuse he tried to give me or suggested how to proceed.

Funny that.......

I'm not wanting blood out of a stone, and to be fair, the dealer has never once been aggressive, rude or arrogant, but, I don't want to be fobbed off either.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Comes to something when the dealership can't even tell the difference between a 3 & 4 cyl engine... Really inspires confidence in anything they may do on a engine.....
Just sounds like the only person not being spoken too is the guy doing the inspection and the rest are just ignorant or ill-informed.

Pre Covid at our dealership I could talk to the Mechanic that does the inspection.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We removed the fuel filler neck and breathers, inspected for any obstructions, blockages or kinks, no visible defect found. Internal inspection of tank from filler neck attachment inspected ok.
Could not see any defect that could cause complaint.
"
In fairness about the fuel issue, I always knew all along they would not find anything. It can really just depend on a whole lot of factors. But when I was in Sydney, every pump I ever used would result in difficultly filling my Picanto unless I fiddled with the nozzle and slowed down the pour rate by modulating the trigger. Now I live in a regional area (where I guess they take things easier and people are not in a rush) all the pumps are set to dispense at a slightly slower rate. Just that slight slowing down of the default dispensing rate means I have never had a problem since - I just stick the nozzle in and press the trigger to the end of its travel. Exact same car - nothing has changed. Only where I fill up has changed.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts