Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After my saga in August ( Picanto serviced by Kwik Fit voiding warranty ) me & the missus got a brand new unregistered 1.25 Picanto GT Line from our local Kia dealer in Linwood.
From day 1, the clutch has, in my opinion, a terrible judder when drawing away in 1st gear, no matter if the car is hot or cold (drawing away in reverse is silky smooth).
I had personally test driven a 2019 GT with 9k miles, and a 2020 one with 7k miles on the clock, and both had a far far smoother clutch.

So, the question is, is this common on these cars?

There is absolutely no clutch slip, and it only judders occasionally if the wifey is driving, but that is because she literally draws away sooooo slooowly. She gets the car rolling and then - gradually - lets the clutch out.
Ive had my license for (starts counting in head) over 34 years, and never ever came across a clutch as juddery as this, and god have I driven some amount of cars. Yes, if I draw away as if I was balancing an egg on my head it goes smoothly, but, I cannot "nip" out at junctions, draw away briskly, and its doing my head in.

Any comments / suggestions gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
In an email to the salesman who sold us the car about a different matter (just 8 days after purchase), I mentioned that there was a clutch judder that I hoped would possibly clear once the clutch bedded in. That was only 3 or so weeks ago, and the car has only done 900 ish miles.
So, no, not mentioned yet "officially", as I thought theyd just say "see how it goes" if I complained after a week.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi,
In an email to the salesman who sold us the car about a different matter (just 8 days after purchase), I mentioned that there was a clutch judder that I hoped would possibly clear once the clutch bedded in. That was only 3 or so weeks ago, and the car has only done 900 ish miles.
So, no, not mentioned yet "officially", as I thought theyd just say "see how it goes" if I complained after a week.
No I think you need to log the complaint sooner than later..if you leave it later they will come up with "Its your driving style " and try to fob it off on you..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be honest, thats why I deliberately mentioned it as a throwaway line in that email, so it was in writing just 8 days after the car was picked up.
Got some time off in a week, so will prob call Mon to book it in.
Cue the 3 or 4 day wait to get the car back and be told there is no issue!

·
Registered
761 Posts
To be honest, thats why I deliberately mentioned it as a throwaway line in that email, so it was in writing just 8 days after the car was picked up.
Got some time off in a week, so will prob call Mon to book it in.
Cue the 3 or 4 day wait to get the car back and be told there is no issue!
Yes get it there and stay on their case..

Good luck..

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is disappointing to read so many threads here and elsewhere about imperfect to downright bad clutches. And it is not like you have to go deliberately hunting for them. I think based on my own experience over nearly 40 years of driving and what I am reading, clutch judder / shudder seems to be an inevitability and it is merely a question of when, not if. I've read enough by now to the point where when we buy a second Picanto (or Kia of some sort) it will again use a torque converter. I really have to wonder whether manufacturers in general are putting the same degree of effort, testing and scrutiny into manual transmissions as they do the alternatives.

The best clutch I ever experienced in a car was our Sigma from 1981! It did 130,000 kms and the clutch felt brand spanking new (cable clutch at that) after all that time. Every car I have driven since either shuddered from brand new to some extent or the characteristic gradually appeared after around 60,000 kms or more (though a family member's Yaris started doing it at only 38,000 kms).

The last car I owned that was a manual was a Corolla and although the clutch was fine on that as well, I did not own it for that many kms because I lived in Sydney at the time and manuals were horrible in the traffic. Mind you, it did not have a great gearshift feel!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not saying judder is acceptable. But the last 2 Skoda Octavias I've owned, the wife's current Picanto3 and her previous Hyundai Gets all could suffer from clutch judder. I believe this is caused by the flywheel/clutch plate getting damp and rusty. I've always got rid of the judder by a careful amount of clutch slip to clean it up (once only) on easing away from a standstill. Never worn a clutch out either.

Reactions: mah006

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had clutch judder on occasion, I have a Picanto GT Turbo.

HUGE pain in the ass when it happens but it usually clears up after a couple of drives.
I can usually clear it up by slipping the clutch a second or so longer than normal on takeoff 5-10 times (obviously spread over a good amount of time, NOT consecutively)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called on Wed to book it in.

A THREE WEEK wait if I wanted a " while you wait" appointment and a two week wait if I was happy to drop it off.
Unbelievable........

·
Registered
251 Posts
Cannot believe clutch judder is now a norm. My 15 year old Mondeo ( petrol ) estate 2L has a perfectly smooth clutch at 75,000 miles and it has a DPF. My Piccanto has not shown any clutch issues in 46,000 but a squeak on the pedal sometimes. Very worrying to hear of these problems especially as cars including Piccanto are so expensive nowadays.( My Piccanto 1 was £6200 new in 2010)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cannot believe clutch judder is now a norm. My 15 year old Mondeo ( petrol ) estate 2L has a perfectly smooth clutch at 75,000 miles and it has a DPF. My Piccanto has not shown any clutch issues in 46,000 but a squeak on the pedal sometimes.
Really disappointing isn't it? And as I have said elsewhere on these forums, you do not have to look far to find complaints. Not just Picanto. Kia and other brands too. I just don't think they put the same engineering effort into manuals anymore like they did in decades past. I think all the true effort behind manuals stopped somewhere in the last 5 years with rare exceptions being sports cars specifically designed to be manuals from the ground up (Toyota 86, etc). A sibling recently bought a Rio Sport and whilst I was very happy they got a great car (having driven one myself) I urged them to get the automatic version, explaining that manuals these days just aren't what they used to be and sooner or later troubles would develop. But they got the manual instead.

In the end though, times have changed and there really isn't any advantage at all in buying a manual unless you specifically want to literally engage in the gear changing action itself for the sake of it (I certainly don't wish to any more heading towards age 60 with knees not what they were 30 years ago and having done literally close to a million kms over the last 40 years in manuals in the city).

If you look at performance comparisons for example (making sure you use well-regarded legit sources that are consistent such as Wheels magazine in Australia), there really is nothing in it manual versus auto. The Picanto auto is literally only 0.1 of a second slower over the standing 400 metres and over 0-100. When you consider it has one gear less, that miniscule difference is even more impressive. And if you look at other automatics across other brands such as Suzuki and Hyundai, again there is so little in it that for practical everyday driving the automatic will actually feel more sprightly and responsive (unless as I say you are driving on the road like you might on the track). Often the torque converter autos are actually faster than the manuals nowadays.

Plus with the Picanto, the auto can often convey specific advantages when cruising. Apart from the converter lockup (so basically then like a manual) if you come across a moderate hill, in the manual you would have to manually change down to third or fourth. In the auto, the lockup clutch discreetly disengages but it remains in top gear, taking advantage of the torque multiplication offered by the torque converter. So no need to change down an actual gear though revs may rise by perhaps 300 - 500. But when the revs rise you know you are getting torque multiplication because that is how torque converters work. Your only option in the manual to increase torque outside of the throttle pedal is of course to manual row through the gears.

Only real disadvantage is economy. But I think it might cost me an extra $1 a fortnight in fuel versus a manual! For the most part, these days my Picanto sends much more time with the converter locked up than it does actually slipping.

A THREE WEEK wait if I wanted a " while you wait" appointment and a two week wait if I was happy to drop it off.
Unbelievable........
So it isn't just Australia that is under-provisioned for maintenance on Kias. The Picanto I bought for Mum (one of the very first production JA models) had a faulty aircon compressor. I got precisely the same story - but in my case it was a four week wait even though the actual part was on hand within days. I was lucky it was only one month out of Winter. It made me decide there and then I would always buy new cars around April so that if the aircon stuffs up, there is plenty of time to get it fixed!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the car is going in tomorrow evening, and thought we'd video a few "draw aways" in anticipation of the "there is nothing wrong" response, and sods, law, it was almost perfect today at lunchtime.
Definitely worse when been lying unused for a day or 2, and in the morning, which I think would indicate a weepage onto the clutchplate, or condensation in the housing. Going to try again tomorrow morning........

·
Registered
142 Posts
We get clutch judder on our GT Line S turbo, but only when it's cold and when the car has stood unused for a few days. I can minimise it by getting the clutch up as quickly as possible, but when the engine's cold you gotta beware a stall!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Indeed.the same in SWMBO Picanto3. But a little bit of one off controlled clutch slip works wonders. Maybe I'm old enough to remember having to drive around characteristics. Like brakes pulling to one side or another, and carburetted engines stalling until warm. Cars are so much better nowadays.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I have had clutch judder on occasion, I have a Picanto GT Turbo.

HUGE pain in the ass when it happens but it usually clears up after a couple of drives.
I can usually clear it up by slipping the clutch a second or so longer than normal on takeoff 5-10 times (obviously spread over a good amount of time, NOT consecutively)

I had a similar experience with an Avensis. In cold damp weather there would be a slight judder from cold. Like you I found a real Miss Daisy start (lots of revs and plenty of slip slowly taking up drive) cured it for a good many more cold starts. I think it is either the heat drying out the clutch lining or perhaps a slight polishing of friction surfaces - come to think of it it might even be slight surface rust on the flywheel face, like you also get on modern brake discs.

Actually I might be on to something here! With the removal of asbestos from brake pads a diferent steel had to be used to make the brake discs and these are more prone to corrosion. I assume that the use of asbestos in clutch friction materials is also banned which would lead to similar effects. The present damp climate coupled with less vehicle us due to lockdown has made it more noticeable - there seem to be more reports on here lately.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Andy2, did you ask for this to be looked at under warranty?
No. So many owners seem to suffer this I reckon it's an incurable 'characteristic' of the car.

·
Registered
155 Posts
And other car brands from my personal experiences . If the judder does not go away, then there may be an actual fault.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The judder on ours is definitely worse if the car hasnt been used for a couple of days - genuine fillings knocked out teeth juddery, but when car has been used, seems to be pretty much spot on.

Wife is upset though.
Says "we've just spent twelve and a half grand on a car Im frightened to drive when cold", and, I get her point.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts