Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have clutch judder when cold on my 17 plate Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel. I am taking it in to Kia on Thursday for them to look at it.
Can anyone give me any advice as other threads on here say it will cost me for them to look at the clutch and then they may say it’s wear and tear and I won’t be covered by the warranty. The car has done 26500 miles and I am only the 2nd owner. They supplied the car to the previous owner and have always serviced it.

Surely a clutch should not be dying after that many miles. I also read there may be a clutch modification for my car that would be a possibility under warranty?

Any advice on what to do and how to play it Thursday would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
402 Posts
The first issue I would see is that the clutch has only a 3 year warranty.
I have a similar age/mileage 2.0 diesel. Occasionaly I get some slight judder first thing. I believe its damp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first issue I would see is that the clutch has only a 3 year warranty.
I have a similar age/mileage 2.0 diesel. Occasionaly I get some slight judder first thing. I believe its damp.
So would you just leave it then? I’m guessing they will ask me to pay to take it apart and look at it!

How long have you had the judder? Mine goes off as soon as I get going and the car is warm.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mines exactly the same. First take off after reversing out of the drive.
Maybe a year or so now. Its so infrequent as not to be an issue to me and I'm OCD about mechanical stuff.
They will ask you to pay for dismantling as that's standard practice even for warranty claims. Have you over a barrel.
You need some inside info as to any batch problems with particular models/ages if you want to go down the warranty route.
Im not that impressed generally with Kia clutches. Replaced 2 in my daughters Picantos over Lockdown 1 (Twins). 1 really stiff and the other a squeaky thrust bearing. Not that old and both around 40K miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On my second Sportage that I am just changing, my first one juddered from new, my second one started juddering after 1200 miles, not sure why it seems to affect Kia, but never had clutch judder on any other brand of vehicle in 50 years of motoring, so guess there is something strange with the way Kia designs their clutch / drive assys..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On my second Sportage that I am just changing, my first one juddered from new, my second one started juddering after 1200 miles, not sure why it seems to affect Kia, but never had clutch judder on any other brand of vehicle in 50 years of motoring, so guess there is something strange with the way Kia designs their clutch / drive assys..
What did you do on yours? Just leave them or take them in to get fixed? Did either need a new clutch?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What did you do on yours? Just leave them or take them in to get fixed? Did either need a new clutch?
The first one I PX'd for the second one hoping I wouldn't have a juddery clutch on it, I thought I succeeded until it started juddering at around 1200 miles, so getting rid , had enough of Kia...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first one I PX'd for the second one hoping I wouldn't have a juddery clutch on it, I thought I succeeded until it started juddering at around 1200 miles, so getting rid , had enough of Kia...
I have been thinking the same. Only had it 6 months!! Had VW, Audi & BMW and went for this for more space, price, practicality and the 7 year warranty!! Problem I have is it is very much in negative equity so I may be stuck with it for a while yet!!

thanks for all the responses I appreciate the advice & the time taken to write back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had horrible clutch judder on mine too. Particularly first 3 gears. But strangely only after the car was really hot. Of course Kia dealer had "never heard of this problem ever before" and wanted me to pay up first in case its wear and tear. But issue is you really need someone with the right knowledge to assess the parts. Otherwise you just have to take the dealers opinion on the matter.

Over 20 cars in my lifetime and first time I've come across clutch judder in all honesty.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Evening all,

I have clutch judder when cold on my 17 plate Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel. I am taking it in to Kia on Thursday for them to look at it.
Can anyone give me any advice as other threads on here say it will cost me for them to look at the clutch and then they may say it’s wear and tear and I won’t be covered by the warranty. The car has done 26500 miles and I am only the 2nd owner. They supplied the car to the previous owner and have always serviced it.

Surely a clutch should not be dying after that many miles. I also read there may be a clutch modification for my car that would be a possibility under warranty?

Any advice on what to do and how to play it Thursday would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Simon

Clutch judder seems to be happening to all sorts of KIAs these days. I have a theory that it is to do with the prohibition of asbestos friction materials. When this was banned for brake pads it was also necessary to change the composition of the brake discs and this makes them more prone to corrosion. Long periods of non use allows the rust to pit the disc and this accelerates wear. I think we are seeing something similar with friction plate/flywheel made more apparent by lockdown and much more infrequent driving. I had an Avensis which suffered this occasiojnally, particularly in the wintertime, I found that a proper granny start or two cleared it up.

Granny start: Lots of rpm and a really really slow and light clutch engagement, You want lots of slip to polish the flywheel and remove the rust which has accumulated on the surface, also heats the friction plate to drive out any moisture.. Give it a try and let us know.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Afternoon all,

Just wanted to update everyone - I took my car in to my Kia dealership and they recognised the clutch judder. I also had a squeak coming from the near side front wheel when turning at slow speed and also the windscreen was icing up INSIDE! Lastly, my steering was stiffening up at higher speeds. ALL jobs have been identified apart from the windscreen and will be rectified under warranty. So I don’t need to pay anything at all for them to take the car apart etc as mentioned by some.
They have also identified that my front suspension bushes are showing slight signs of wear and they will recheck this in 6 months but, again, this will be covered under warranty.
I was worried and getting prepared to get rid of the car if it wasn’t going to be covered by warranty but now I am pleased and sticking with it!!!!

Hope this helps some people in the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow what a result. Ive just had my clutch replaced for the same thing but it was a struggle. My steering ive noticed alsk stiffens up at speed. What's the cure?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow what a result. Ive just had my clutch replaced for the same thing but it was a struggle. My steering ive noticed alsk stiffens up at speed. What's the cure?
I didn’t even have to argue - sounds like Kia are aware of an issue with the clutch judder from what they said.

The stiffened steering at speed is also a known issue and the grease the steering rack/column and that is also under warranty.

Hope you can get that sorted. So did they replace the whole clutch or just change a part on yours?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah right i will take it back then. They sold me a bodged car i reckon. Not sure what they replaced id assume as minimal as possible.
Iam wondering if i can take it to any dealer to get this done as the dealer i bought it from have very poor customer service.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah right i will take it back then. They sold me a bodged car i reckon. Not sure what they replaced id assume as minimal as possible.
Iam wondering if i can take it to any dealer to get this done as the dealer i bought it from have very poor customer service.
Yes you can. I took mine to the dealer I bought it from as I thought I may have more ammunition to have a go if they tried to squirm out of the warranty!!

The other Kia dealership you take it too will likely want to inspect any issues you highlight rather than take your word for it though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer 16 miles away due to their award winning customer service. I got the feeling they didn't want to know about the clutch issue plus trying to fob me off wanting me to pay for loan car etc. But I think I'll take it to the one down the road this time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought mine from a dealer 16 miles away due to their award winning customer service. I got the feeling they didn't want to know about the clutch issue plus trying to fob me off wanting me to pay for loan car etc. But I think I'll take it to the one down the road this time.
Sounds like a plan. Hope you get it sorted.

I love the Kia but having previously drove a VW Golf, 2 Audis and my last car was a BMW from new there is no comparison in terms of build quality in my opinion. Still, like I say, I love the size of the car and how it looks and the spec on the ‘2’ is incredible for the price. It has more than my BM did!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah i like mine. Its really easy to drive and park for a fairly big car. They loaned me a 70 plate 3 and it was mega but was still happy wuth mine when i got it back

1 - 20 of 20 Posts