Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Hoping someone may be able to help me.

The other day I stopped in traffic. I went to take my car out of gear and it wouldn't come out of gear. The clutch pedal stayed depressed and I had to pull it up by hand. It's been fine since until today where it almost got stuck in gear. My car has done 70,000 miles and is a 12 plate 2.0 kx2.

I have it booked in early jan to get looked at and I have been told a new clutch will be about £800.

Are clutches a big problem on the sportages as my last car a vw golf was on the original clutch at 198,000 miles when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
That's a good question.
I've seen the odd person complaining of clutch issues before now, but these are few and far between.
I've always assumed it to be down to driver style.

I'm guessing by now that the car is out of warranty, so the first thing I would be doing is avoiding the main dealers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’ve never needed to use Mr Clutch but I have one right next door to me.

Would be worth getting a couple of quotes as keats99 recommends.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi if you are having trouble changing gear then the clutch is not disengaging. So it may only be a problem with the pedal or air in the hydrolics not operating the clutch properly. Does it work better if you pump the pedal a few times - if so then its air in the hydrolics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have my car booked in at Kia on the 8th. I looked at my brake fluid reservoir and it was low so I have topped it up. It seems to have worked a bit but it still doesn't feel right. I am just hoping it will be something small.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
As it was low possible as said previous post that you now have air in system which will need bleeding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have my car booked in at Kia on the 8th. I looked at my brake fluid reservoir and it was low so I have topped it up. It seems to have worked a bit but it still doesn't feel right. I am just hoping it will be something small.
I had brake fluid loss on my 64 Sportage which was due to leakage from the clutch regulator assembly which is fitted in the hydraulic line between the clutch master cylinder and the slave cylinder. The clutch master cylinder fluid is supplied from the brake master reservoir. If you look just in front of the clutch master cylinder you will see an aluminium device with a large round attachment below and the hydraulic pipe going to the slave cylinder.
The leak is from the joint where the round attachment is fitted to the aluminium body. If you look and feel around it you will see brake fluid.
I have just changed fitted a new one to my car today. The part is called REGULATOR ASSY-CLUTCH Part number 41690 2S905 from Pentagon Motor group on ebay £132.99. Very expensive for what it is but that seems to be the average price and it is a genuine Kia part.
It took me about 1.5 hours to change it as I could not see where the concentric slave cylinder was located and had to remove the air filter plenum chamber to get to the slave cylinder bleed nipple to bleed the system. If you need further info let me know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update to my earlier post.The clutch pressure regulator leaks from the threaded joint where it screws into the aluminium fitting. There is a thin copper washer between the two machined joint faces. I think a new washer and some sealant like Heldite would fix this a lot cheaper than £133.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi All

Thank you for the replies. It does seem that I have a leak more than the clutch issue as my brake fluid is down to the warning light again after topping it up. It is going into Kia tomorrow for another issue but they are aware of this and I will mention the leak probably coming from the Clutch Regulator system. for them to look at. As I have no idea how to mend cars I wouldn't feel confident doing this. I'm guessing this is something that Kia would do and they wouldn't just replace the whole unit.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Everyone

Update on my car. It was the Clutch Pressure Regulator that had failed. I think in total it's costing me about £250 to get sorted. Then obviously new brake fluid. I also needed the engine bay cleaning as brake fluid had gone everywhere and when it heats up it stinks.

Quite glad it's not the clutch that had gone though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2012 KX3 had clutch fail with caravan on the back (52k miles) out of W'tee - Dual mass flywheel seized so new DMF, Clutch & slave cylinder at my local garage £1800. Ouch!

·
Vendor
92 Posts
Hi Everyone, I can price up the genuine parts from KIA, we provide a KIA invoice with everything, squashthatfly - I see you were quoted £800 I am not sure how much the parts would have cost on there own but we should be cheaper than the main dealer Our price is £308.29 (for some reason the 2.0L is a lot more than 1.7), here is the clutch link just incase, (I would need your reg to confirm that this would fit someones car)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

Hoping someone may be able to help me.

The other day I stopped in traffic. I went to take my car out of gear and it wouldn't come out of gear. The clutch pedal stayed depressed and I had to pull it up by hand. It's been fine since until today where it almost got stuck in gear. My car has done 70,000 miles and is a 12 plate 2.0 kx2.

I have it booked in early jan to get looked at and I have been told a new clutch will be about £800.

Are clutches a big problem on the sportages as my last car a vw golf was on the original clutch at 198,000 miles when I sold it.
Had my Sportage in just before Xmas 72000 on it mine was loosing fluid new clutch regulator valve which misteriously is very expensive but the dealer had one in stock worth a visit to Kia and yes it was done under waranty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had my Sportage in just before Xmas 72000 on it mine was loosing fluid new clutch regulator valve which misteriously is very expensive but the dealer had one in stock worth a visit to Kia and yes it was done under waranty
Hi Simmy

Unfortunately my Sportage is out of warranty. my Regulator cost me just under £300 I believe including fitting not including VAT. not overly sure but it was around that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts