Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Having a few electrical gremlins and asking for some help/ guidance.
I have a 2009 Kia ceed 1.6 crdi where all the gauges in the instrument cluster flash then resets, this is random when this happens and how many times it flash’s but not normally more than 6 times. But normally within the first 15 minutes of driving then settles down.

Also the horn is extremely intermittent, alot of the time the horn doesn’t work, then sometimes only part of the airbag area where you push for the horn will work then completely stop. It seems as these 2 issues are connected in some way?? Although when stationary the horn seems to work ? Confused 🤔

A new battery has been fitted to the vehicle but this has not rectified the issue.

I have checked behind the steering wheel cowls and removed lower part of dash and can’t see anything that’s loose/.
I have tried to remove the instrument cluster surround part seems unwilling to come away from the cluster. Trying to find a guide to remove it.
I have a 5 second video clip of the flashing, but unsure how to upload on here?

so many questions I do apologise

Many thanks Aaron

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

I would check battery terminals & that the earth strap to engine is in good condition & making a good connection.
Horns often fail so check the connections on the horn are clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi & Welcome.

I would check battery terminals & that the earth strap to engine is in good condition & making a good connection.
Hi & Welcome.

Hi just an update and thank you for a quick reply 👍
I had previously checked and cleaned the battery earth straps ✅
But when checking earth strap I noticed a lot of corrosion on the 2 x earth straps that come from the ecu harness to body, cleaned the strap ends and fixings and voila ✅ no more flashing/ flickering dash lights. Very relieved.
I also ordered a new horn so hopefully that should be sorted also 👍
Thanks again

·
Registered
Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel (2010)
3 Posts
Hi just an update and thank you for a quick reply 👍
I had previously checked and cleaned the battery earth straps ✅
But when checking earth strap I noticed a lot of corrosion on the 2 x earth straps that come from the ecu harness to body, cleaned the strap ends and fixings and voila ✅ no more flashing/ flickering dash lights. Very relieved.
I also ordered a new horn so hopefully that should be sorted also 👍
Thanks again
Hi Aaron

I have this problem, i was about to sell my car and this has happened real annoyed. The buyer was about to take the car home and all of a sudden this has happened. I have a 1.6 Diesel ceed on a 2010 same thing all the gauges go down whilst driving the trip resets and the handbrake light and abs come on too. then dissappear. What do i do help:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Aaron

I have this problem, i was about to sell my car and this has happened real annoyed. The buyer was about to take the car home and all of a sudden this has happened. I have a 1.6 Diesel ceed on a 2010 same thing all the gauges go down whilst driving the trip resets and the handbrake light and abs come on too. then dissappear. What do i do help:(
hi Jany
The first thing to do is disconnect battery sensor on the negative cable, then disconnect the battery cables (10mm spanner) (negative first then the positive)
Then check the 2 wires coming from the ecu
Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire White Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Fluid Gas Automotive exterior Tints and shades

Once the cables have been removed from the battery, check the above 2 x earthing cables from the ecu harness to the car body. To remove these a 10mm ratchet spanner is required, the bottom fixing is a bit fiddly.
Once the cables have been removed the fixing (including thread) and the end of the cables (that connect to the body) need cleaning with a wire brush until all the corrosion has gone. Once these are clean just reassemble the cables back onto the body. Then When reconnecting battery, connect the positive first then the negative cable then the battery sensor into the negative cable connector. I hope this makes sense?

DO NOT disconnect any wires when the battery is connected to the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you so much Aaron, i will give this a go on Saturday when im off work fingers crossed it goes back to normal. Did your trip reset also with this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning Aaron hope your well. I have no idea how i will take them bolts off for the two connectors as they have rusted. Looks likebin stuck now
Shoe Gesture Wood Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi jany, yep that looks like the issue, give them a good clean with a wire before you attempt to remove them. Mine looked just like that, just go slowly working the bolt back and forth, you can use wd40 to penetrate any rust as long as the battery is disconnected 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts